Mirtazapine withdrawal, how long will this last??!!!!

Posted , 84 users are following.

Help! I slowly tapered off Mirtazapine. It's been 4 and a half weeks off it now and I'm sure I'm still experiencing withdrawal?! I have crippling morning anxiety and zero appetite, the weight gained on Mirt has fallen off! I also feel sick most of the day. I got so down last week that I very nearly went back on it, but couldn't bare the thought of coming off again! Insomnia has just kicked in too. 

I don't mean to post this to scare anyone, as when I was at my darkest Mirt really helped me. I just wanted to know if there's anyone out there going through what I'm going through? Any advice? How long can it last? 

I'd appreciate any help x 

4 likes, 532 replies

532 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am concerned that so many people think that 4 weeks is slow weaning!  Its nowhere near a slow!  When I weaned off Citalopram (20mg) it took 6 months.  Many of these type of drugs are also manufactured as drops so you can reduce by very small amounts.  I would suggest dropping 1mg per 4 weeks.
  • Posted

Hi Kirsty I am two weeks since stopping taking mert I can relate to your symptoms totally I have started to take 2mg of diazepam  three times a day and I think it is helping ,wish I could give you more helpful advice.
    • Posted

Can i ask how you did your taper? I am almost off but stback is heghtened anxiety so i am also trying the diazepam route.  I am wondering how long this will be necessary, any idea?
    • Posted

Wondering how you are today?  It must be about three weeks off mirtaz.  I am having a very bumpy ride doing this.  I am taking 2mg diaz per day maybe it would help,to take more the way you have.  I have had to slow down the decrease, the anxiety and nausea were getting awful.  Did you go through this point, it was starting to get worse at 3.75 so Ive had to go up a bit.  Looking for help
    • Posted

How are things going for you?

i am stillat 5mg level of mirtaz, the 3.75 didnt go well so will try again.  The nausea is still,here and the insomnia got a bit better when back to 5mg.  I just want rid of this drug. Some days i feel im going mad.

any help you can give is welcome.  

• Posted

Kirsty, how are things with you, i am struggling with this taper and just want a perspective on how others have coped.   I seem to need diazapam when i wake and a bit more during day.  Gp said hs might happen with the taper but im not sure I'm meant to feel so bad.  Any help would be of assistance.

i am concerned if this goes on i will end up with another anti dep from psych. So many have done nothing for me just made me worse.

• Posted

Hi! 

I'm now nearly 7 weeks Mirt free. I'll tell you warts and all that coming off it was one of the hardest things I have ever done! The morning anxiety from it was crippling and the sickness was awful!! It felt like morning sickness! I could barely eat for weeks, the weight fell off me! 

Saying all this you can get through it!! I still have morning anxiety but nowhere near to the extent that I did have. The worst time for me was about 10 days after stopping, then at about week 3 and week 4. I very nearly went back on Mirt several times at this period. I just had to keep telling myself it was withdrawal symptoms and battle on. 

It's not uncommon to need a little help with other meds whilst tapering and coming off Mirt, I think most people need something. 

Here if you need to ask anything 😊

Kirsty x

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

My GP told me to half my mirt for 1 week from 30 to 15 and then switch to citalopram. and stop mirt all together. Trusting him my entire body went into shock and i have been a complete mess for 2 weeks. Was only on mirt a few months after switching from being on citalopram for 10 years, and hoping mirt would help sleepwise.

if i had read all i woild never have touched

the drug. 2 weeks in an wondering if it is even worth taking the citalopram and coming off everything which is my goal. the withdrawals have given my insomnia and anxiety all night long. 4th day off work as dont know how i can functions / drive with no sleep. Looking for any kind of advise/reassurance. Diazepam and nytol seem to make no difference in the night xxx lost all faith in GP too

• Posted

I ended up really ill and ended up being looked after by the crisis team. my doctor told me the same just half it then quarter it ...I did that and needed up a right mess couldn't leave the house.. insomnia never slept for weeks ended up collapsing couldn't eat tried but had no appetite they ended up having too put me bk in it... and the worst thing was I didnt know what was happening too me because the doctor said I would have no issues coming off... 🤬

• Posted

absolutely crazy advise from the doctor. so are you back on it? do you take anything else?

• Posted

I'm really good now thanks too a guy on here he helped me. So I'm on 15mg of mitrazapine and 225mg venlafaxine. Look up California rocket fuel that's what they call it the mitrazapine and venlafaxine together. I am bk at work and doing great. Only thing is the big weight gain 😥😥

• Posted

Kirsty, how are things with you, i am struggling with this taper and just want a perspective on how others have coped.   I seem to need diazapam when i wake and a bit more during day.  Gp said hs might happen with the taper but im not sure I'm meant to feel so bad.  Any help would be of assistance.

i am concerned if this goes on i will end up with another anti dep from psych. So many have done nothing for me just made me worse.

• Posted

I was very lucky when I tapered down. The worst it got for me was about 4 days of insomnia, racing heart, headaches and just a general weird feeling- like light headedness that would come and go. I only experienced this when I stopped it completely.

I tapered from 45mg (18 months), to 30mg (1 month) and 15mg 2 weeks then 0. I couldn't be bothered trying anything less even though it was recommended.

I stayed off it from September until May.

• Posted

How are you now

did you have to go back onto another antidepressant in May or did you go back to your old,regime.

i am down to 3.75 since the last few weeks feel depression, nausea every day on waking and diarrhoea some days after dinner,i cant eat earlier in day apart from dry toast.

i just dont know whether to continue this level or go back up, where i was was not perfect in any way either.

dont know how much longer i can feel this bad.

• Posted

Sorry for jumping in! Just wanted to say everything you're feeling is withdrawal from the meds, I had all of those feelings, I felt sick constantly, my depression was sky high, I had diarrhoea too. I can honestly say it's one of the worst experiences of my life, so I completely understand where you're coming from. It's up to you what you decide to do. Just wanted to say that, it you keep going, the withdrawal effects do lessen, it takes time, over 7 weeks for me to start feeling a little better, but you can get there! 

Kirsty x

• Posted

Oh Kirsty, thank you so much for jumping in and replying to me with your good news.  

So you think this feeling will pass?   I am still on 3.75 so not off yet.  

GP suggested one night on, one off, but I feel so bad that sounds too much.  Remind me of how long you took it , i only got to 15 any higher was spaced out.  Dropping down i dont understand how the depression is worse.  The nausea and ibs well i had a bit of that before I started its just worse now.

It feels like the effects are worsening for me each day, do you think there might come a day they feel better?  Feel so ill i dont want to get up or even go out.  Havent felt like this since beginning of illness that started taking these for.  I have been given diaz for last coiple of years for my anxiety, dr says just take another one if it feels worse just now.  Feel out on a limb and like ill never get better.

Did you drop to 1.87 before getting off? How long did it take for you?

i am wondering if you feel normal now and if you needed to go onto a new med or go without.  I can wait seven weeks if i know there is some outcome, at the moment imjust feel so much worse and need to know thats normal after the drop to 3.75.  Just want rid of this awful drug. It should be banned.

• Posted

Hi, I was on it for nearly 6 months. And agree, doctors really should think long and hard before giving this med out!! 

I went down to 1.87mg for nearly two weeks, then a few days of alternating this dose. Warts and all at day 10 it was hell!!! And at weeks 3-4 it was hell!!! I felt so sick and my anxiety was awful, felt like I was coming of heroine or something!! The sickness felt like morning sickness, I could barely eat. But, if does improve, you just have to get through it, it's awful, but it's just the med leaving your body. I haven't gone onto any other AD, as I never want this again! 

So I guess, it's a long and blooming hard road, but it can get better! 

X

• Posted

Thanks Kirsty.  I know i just have to get through it so sitting tight and living in hope.  You describe the symptoms well.  Your help is appreciated
    • Posted

Any time I can help just ask, I've been where you are and know how hard it is. Even if it's a private message in here, I'm here to help you x 

• Posted

The other problem is that the medical profession aren't really interested. They were quick to put me on to the Mirtazapine but have offered no help in coming off. The waiting list to see a physchiatrist is months. The duty doctor just told me to go from 30mg to 15mg & then come straight off them. My own doctor said that there's not much she can do other than help me with the insomnia by prescribing me a week's supply of 7.5mg Zopiclone but no more after because they're addictive. So i feel that i am well & truly in complete limbo at the moment. Due to the insomnia, they advised me to go back on 30mg but the side effects were too harsh. They then advised me to drop to 22.5mg but still the insomnia continues, sleeping 4 hours per night for the last 2 weeks, which is having a detrimental impact on my mental & physical health. I feel the sooner i can safely get off the awful drug the better. The longer i take it the worse the withdrawals will be. I do realise that some withdrawals are inevitable but i obviously would like to limit the severity & duration.

• Posted

Been on Mirtazapine for approx 4 months, currently 22.5mg. Also taking 40mg Seroxat. What's the best way to come off Mirtazapine? The side effects outweigh the benefits. The medical profession have just left me in limbo. They were quick to put me on to the Mirtazapine but have offered no help in coming off. The waiting list to see a physchiatrist is months. The duty doctor just told me to go from 30mg to 15mg & then come straight off them. My own doctor said that there's not much she can do other than help me with the insomnia by prescribing me a week's supply of 7.5mg Zopiclone but no more after because they're addictive. So i feel that i am well & truly in complete limbo at the moment. Due to the insomnia, they advised me to go back on 30mg but the side effects were too harsh. They then advised me to drop to 22.5mg but still the insomnia continues & side effects are harsh. I've been sleeping 4 hours per night roughly for the last 2 weeks, which is having a detrimental impact on my mental & physical health. I feel the sooner i can safely get off the awful drug the better. The longer i take it the worse the withdrawals will be. I do realise that some withdrawals are inevitable but i obviously would like to limit the severity & duration. Any help would be appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.