Mirtazapine Withdrawal- the key to success

Posted , 57 users are following.

In a month I will have come off mirtazapine completely and for some of that time I have been able to work and do my job pretty darn well.

I went on mirtazipine for anxiety and it did not work and I put on 1 stone in weight was drowsy all the time and generally doped out. In some ways it was actually causing more anxiety and depression as well. Withdrawing from mirtazapine is different for every person and everyone has to go at their own pace. For me, it was extremely slowly when I got down to 7.5mg and lower. The tablets don't allow you to do this so request the mirtazapine solution that you dispense with a 1ml syringe into a little bit of water every night. Going cold turkey is a terrifying experience, the one most awful experience of my life and its also dangerous. I do not agree with people advocating taking valium during the withdrawal process because for anxious or depressed people a drug that powerful leaves you vulnerable to addiction because speaking from personal experience that is exactly what happened to me. Valium in my experience is nowhere near as hard to withdraw from than mirtazipine because it is so short term whereas the mirtazipine is a long drawn out business making it hard to lose perspective on what is a withdrawal symptom and what is your underlying problem. I kept a diary of my symptoms so I could look objectively at what I was experiencing and sort it out, but I still forget sometimes. As I said earlier about some of the time I have been able to work Im talking about the past 6 months where I have been following a plan devised by myself that works if you find the quicker withdrawals like \"half a table for a week then nothing\" or cold turkey dont work. There is a website by the organisation called CITA (google it) and they have a Back To Life handbook that you pay £13 for and it gives you a specific plan for mirtazipine withdrawal, tells you supplements to take such as the powerful detox drink Noni Juice, how to alter your diet to help decrease withdrawal symptoms. I had my vitamins tested and whereas before the process I was fine, afterwards I had a chromium deficiency making me very sensitive to sugar. If you can hack it I have found that a low carb, low sweetner, low sugar diet like the Atkins or the Dukan diet work very well as the mirtazipine plays around with your blood sugar levels and therefore makes you even more unstable. My basic way of withdrawing was this:

Ill use the drop from 0.1ml to 0ml (of syringe solution which with the 7.5mg solution equates to about 0.75mg very very tiny!!) as an example because that is what I am doing right now:

Week 1, take 0.1ml apart from wednesday when you take nothing

Week 2, take 0.1ml apart from monday and wednesday \"\"\"

Week 3, take 0.1ml apart from monday, wednesday and friday \"\"\"

Week 4, take 0.1ml apart from monday, wednesday, friday and sunday

Week 5, take 0.1ml apart from monday, tuesday, wednesday, friday and saturday (only take 1ml on thursday and sunday)

Week 6, take 0.1ml only on thursday.

week 7 , take nothing!

So each week you are cutting out one day of the week's dose which I have found really suits mirtazapine because if you just drop down a dose the withdrawal hits you really hard 2 weeks after and by 3 weeks on the dose I was horrifically depressed. If its too fast you can do the week 1 pattern for 2 weeks etc which I did for a while. I do see what they mean about mirtazapine having a short half life because it does hit you in the face at the 3 weeks marker, it is as if it just leaves the body very quickly between 2 and 3 weeks of dropping a dose. The gradual withdrawal that I ended up doing I think really suits mirtazipine because of this aspect.

The drop downs I did was, 30mg, 15mg, 7.5mg (half a tablet) (with the tablets I simply dropped the dose again when the withdrawal symptoms subsided) this bit was debilitating and I do not advocate it. Use the plan set out in the Back To Life booklet instead. When I tried to go to nothing from 7.5 then I experienced absolute horribleness. So I switched to solution and did 1ml (7.5mg), 0.9ml, 0.8ml, 0.7ml, 0.6ml etc etc down to 0.1ml which Im doing now. I got the solution from my GP so it is not hard to obtain it in the UK, it costs the same as a regular prescription, i think it is available in America aswell but im not too sure.

Finally i will just outline my withdrawal symptoms: vivid dreams, disrupted sleep/over-sleeping (I did a test using SleepCycle, an app for the iPhone to test whether a small dose of mirtazipine could affect my sleeping and I found with the analysis tool that I had much less deep sleep and was much more easily disturbed to being fully awake during the night than when I didnt take any mirtazipine. I think this is why you oversleep on mirtazipine.) Paranoia, itching skin, body shocks (like tingles that run from the top of your head to your toes), headaches, fatigue, bruxism or teeth grinding (can make my jaw ache), depression, anxiety, nausea, burning mouth syndrome (like a numb tingling in your tongue), floating sensations when going to sleep, cravings for sugar and carbs, confusion, forgetfulness, angry outbursts, irritability, hot/cold flashes, insomnia (the most disturbing for me but on my really slow plan I dont get this problem at all), social withdrawal (probably because my emotions were so erratic i was embarassed for anyone to see me), body aching especially in my back where I hold most of my tension, sensitivity to noise and light, blurred vision.

Some more tips: People often fear it is their illness coming back when they are experiencing withdrawal symptoms, this was not true for me because as I am nearly off mirtazipine now it is the best I have felt since I started taking antidepressants. They are only supposed to be used short term but I ended up on them for 6 years. If you felt no effect with the antidepressants after a few months it is best to come off them. Dont even risk it with drinking alcohol, it makes the withdrawal even worse, your body is going through a lot and it needs as little rubbish to deal with as possible. If you feel a burst of energy as I have done during this process even if it is 9pm go for a jog. Dont just sit around waiting for it to turn into a panic attack. And finally go with the flow and remember its not real and only temporary. \"This too shall pass.\" So just do your best at real life and hibernate through it all. This drug is not easy to come off just as all antidepressants are hard to come off, it has been compared to heroin withdrawal and having researched heroin withdrawal I agree with the comparison. If you drop too suddenly and end up seeing the doctor because you are suicidal and at your wits end you must slow down and dont let them just pump you back up to 30mg, just go back up to the last dose you took before you went crazy and go slower next time. A word of warning: the majority of GPs and doctors do not understand antidepressant withdrawal and from my experience neither do psychiatrists fully, they just prescribe. However you must not blame them for their ignorance even though it is hard not to when you are in hell, you put the drugs in your mouth so YOU have to get yourself rid of them at YOUR pace. It is sadly the ways things are in the UK at the moment.

The best of luck to anyone who is on this road.

I hope something I said in there helped you.

If it didn't nothing lost!

Kathryn.

24 likes, 157 replies

157 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Kathryn this is so helpful- I am not on this drug but my 89 year old aunt has been put on it (about 1.5 years ago I think) by her nursing home and I want to take her off it as I think it is adding to her depression not helping it. But reading your experiences with withdrawal and other people's, I don't think I can put her through it. She is on 45mg so maybe I could ask them to gradually reduce it to 30 then 15mg and leave it at that...its so hard to know when its not me taking them.
  • Posted

Hi Kathryn

I see that your comments about Mirtazapine withdrawal was a year ago now and hope that you are well and completely free of these horrid drugs. I have been on Mirtazapine for two years, being prescribed it for early morning waking with horrendous anxiety. Other than putting weight on it did nothing for me but, under doctors recommendation I continued. I don't believe I suffered/suffer from depression as during the day I am fine, keep busy and quite content with my life. Just these terrible early morning feelings. So, I decided to wean myself off these very gradually and took the last one about a month ago.

The first couple of weeks were fine but I seemed to hit a brick wall full on on the third week (I wonder if anyone else has had this?). My doctor tells me it is the anxiety come back, but as it never left in the first place I believe it is withdrawal from the Mirtazapine. The symptoms I am experiencing are itchy skin, quite horrid nausea, lack of concentration and wonder if you or anyone on the site can tell me if they have had a similar experience.

It is so good to hear comments from other sufferers as it makes you think that you are not alone.

Jean

• Posted

Hi Jean, may I ask what  amount of mirt were you on and how long and what 'drops' did you take?

Pat

• Posted

Excellent info, I have just been put on Met after being on ALL the SSRIs for the last fifteen years, have tried to withdraw but never been able to, they have badly affected my heart and now am on bloody beta blockers as wel !!!!   The last time I wanted to come off the doc said just stop taking them, I asked him to,prescribe liquid version and he said no!!!!! You must have a personality that will always be prone to,depression aaaargh. He then said do you want me to refer you to the drug and alcohol team, I asked him had he ever been on Anti D.s and he said no, I replied don't tell me what you have read in books about withdrawal!!!! I'm telling you how it is.  Your article is very encouraging and I an hoping to come off again using this method in Oct as I have got my mums party then , thanks xx
  • Posted

Thank u so much on ur insight,which is much better than a doc. I have been taking mir 7.5mg for the past two and half years. I tried to stop it , not that gradually, but of no use. I wanted to try again real slow but Iam afraid.
  • Posted

I am currently going through mirtazapine withdrawl for the ump-teenth time.  I am very fortunate to have a wife that is very suppportive to help me through the process as well as a psychiatrist and therapist that are willing to work with me to achieve my goals.  I plan to use EMDR and possibly hypnosis through my therapist to try and maintain some results. It will be a tough battle.  Your words of wisdom in this process are very encouraging and helpful though.
  • Posted

Hi

can I please ask those who have withdrawn off Mirtazapine do the withdrawals get worse when you stop or are they the same as when you are tapering off?

thanks

jo

• Posted

Hi jo

I didn't find the after withdrawls that bad, because I did the drop in mirt slowly, do by the time I was off it my body didn't react too much, but still had sleep problems for a few months

Pat

• Posted

Hi Everyone.

I was prescribed mirtazapine in Aug 2013 after a suicide attempt and was quickly at 45mg.  For the last 3 months I have been trying to stop taking it.  This has followed a pattern of increasing the number of days between doses and then back to taking it regularly as I felt awful.

Anyway 4 weeks ago I decided to just stop.  I have never felt so horrendous.  I have terrible insomnia, 3 hours at the most each night (4am-7am).  I can't stop crying my whole body aches and I feel so nauseous.  I realise I've made a wrong decision coming off suddenly.

I just don't know what to do.  Should I start taking 15mg and then taper? I can't imagine my doctors will prescribe me a liquid version.  The doctor didn't seem to acknowledge that I was experiencing withdrawal just of the opinion I was feeling lousy due to lack of sleep and prescribed me Zopiclone.

I feel utterly desperate and just want to curl up and not wake up.

• Posted

aww millmoll i came off mirtz i know what ur going through u need to taper off slowing hun
    • Posted

Hi MillMoll,

You must ask your Doctor for the liquid version if you want to withdraw from taking Mirtazapine.  I had no problem when I asked.  Then come off very slowly indeed over many months, but tell your Doctor what you would like to do, and be positive, and get their help.

Good Luck,

JanieLee

• Posted

Thank you for the reply and to 5julie1111.  I haven't taken any mirtazapine for 3-4 weeks. I can't decide whether it stick it out or start back on a tiny dose and see if I feel any better. The lower doses I always found to be very sedating. 

I can honestly say I have never felt so physically and mentally unwell in my life, this is a truly horrible drug to get off. 

Would anyone be able to recommend any supplements/natural products that could help me feel a little more human? 

Thank you. X

• Posted

hi you should taper off slowly millmoll its an awfull drug to come off ! tapering is important are u coming off ADs all together? xx
    • Posted

Yes Julie I'm not taking anything now. I tried to restart an ssri a few months ago but the anxiety it caused was too much. 

I'm just experiencing such horrible nausea and I can't eat which is probably making me feel worse. 

I feel utterly desperate, I am so reluctant to start taking the mirtazapine again even at low dosage as I've not taking anything at all for 3 or more weeks.  I think I may have no choice however because I can't function at all with these withdrawal effects. 

X

• Posted

i tapered down u cant just stop them millmoll u will feel awfull like u are doing feel for you x
    • Posted

Hi millmoll

I agree with Julie,  you can't just stop taking these antidepressants you must stop slowly, so anyone else tempted to .... Don't! 

I read in the UK newspaper yesterday there maybe a link in people getting Alzheimer's and taking AD's it said your risk goes up 80% after taking these horrible drugs for more than 6 months.  There still needs to be more research done to confirm this, but I wouldn't be surprised as I felt like a zombie on mertazapine and all that anxiety and worry if I would ever feel better (which I did once I got off it and if I would ever be ok again must take its toll on your brain, these chemicals that mess with your brain are poison. 

Pat

• Posted

Pat50,

I agree.  Having felt horrific for 4 weeks I know it was a big mistake stopping Mirtazapine suddenly and would urge anyone not to take the same path. 

However I have got this far and am unwilling to reintroduce this toxic drug into my system.  I have done lots of research into nutrition and have decided to supplement with high quality B vitamins, chromium, Vit D3, Magnesium, Iron and omega 3.  I drink a green smoothie with avocado and spinach every day.  I don't drink or smoke and avoid sugar.  I intend to see a highly recommended naturopath in my area to seek further advice.  I honestly believe the best thing I can do now is to be as healthy as possible and nourish my brain and body back to health. 

Fingers crossed!! 

X

• Posted

That sounds a great plan millmol, something we all should be doing looking after our brains & bodies, as I don't think these powerful drugs that mess about with your Neuro system ( and the medical profession still don't fully understand how they work) are the answer.

Good luck

Pat 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.