Mirtazapine withdrawal -weight gain/loss!

Posted , 17 users are following.

I posted on another thread but thought might be useful to start another discussion -apologies for repeating myself...

Decided to withdraw from Mirt - 7days ago - having been in them for around 8 months -  dropped from 30-15mg straight away Doctors idea - tried to taper - just got frustrated and impatient-so came off them all together .

Over 8 months I’d gone from 13st11 to a whopping 16st -I tried eating healthily exercising nothing changed - insatiable appetite - constantly grazing in the fridge - cramming food - not like me at all- weight just climbed

I’ve been off Mirt now for6 days - of course I’m not expecting to get away with out side effects from cold turkey withdrawal -BUT I have to report I’ve had none so far - I feel fresher than I’ve felt in years - I don’t dread the day anymore which is so strange the fog has almost gone .

The vivid dreams have gone  too - were amazing initially but as the months wore on - became exhausting -but now coming off them -I’m still sleeping well and I’m so thankful for that .

Importantly - as this was itself adding to the downward spiral and fog - I’ve dropped 7lbs in weight.

I started taking Magnesium  and vitamin B the day I stopped -  1 per day -

advice from others on this forum and the health shop

Im only giving my experience here we are all different  I know others have had a terrible time withdrawing- but I just wanted to share a positive story - good luck to anyone thinking of or going through the same process I’m here if anyone wants to talk or pm me . 

Maybe the Mirtdid it’s job - I still don’t know -maybe I’ll never know - i do know my character and life changed for the worse - it affected my family too - as a result of going on them and I’ll personally never use the drug again . Looking forward now again for the first time in years x

4 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thats good to know!!! I have been on Mirtazipine 15mg daily for 6 months (was prescribed them to help deal with the anxiety and depression after a bad break up last year) I now feel mentally stronger, that added with the fact that I can't cope with the weight gain. I had anorexia some years ago and I don't want that to be triggered again. I'm going to my GP this week to start tapering off them. Feeling good about my decision but also a little scared because of some of the withdrawal horror stories I have read. My plan is to lower my dose every 2 weeks, with my GPs approval.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.