Mirtazapine withdrawals

Posted , 7 users are following.

I saw my cpn today & she said she wants me to come off the Mirtazapine going from 7.5mg to 0. I asked her if i could do another week at 7.5mg until i feel a bit more stable. She's going to speak to the doctor tomorrow & let me know. I'm not going to drop from 7.5mg to 0 but i only have enough tablets for a week or 2 if i drop it to 3.75mg. What's the best plan of action?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I dropped from 7.5mg to 0 and it was pure hell, god damn doctors think it's so easy to come antidepressants, I lasted 6 days with no mirtazapine and had to go back on them!

• Posted

Yes they simply do not understand unfortunately. I'm not going to drop from 7.5mg to 0. I will drop to 3.75mg for a week or 2. Although i would prefer to be more stable on 7.5mg before dropping but don't think they'll agree to give me more tablets to do so.

• Posted

Why are they rushing you off it ? They should be working with you. My cpn listens to what i want. If they don t agree i ask them to humour me. It is not like it is a controlled drug.
    • Posted

I would caution you here.  I have gone from 7.5 slowly down for three to four months, just dropped to about 2mg and i feel awful.  Anxiety is increased, i am agitated and down too.  I am hoping this will eventually stop to allow a further drop but  no success yet.

i am very seneitive to these meds and have had trouble all the way.  Getting above 7.5 was pretty impossible.

so i wish you well, keep posting, there are many people here in same situation can help.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, i think they feel that Mirtazapine isn't that difficult to discontinue. The first doctor that i saw told me to go from 30mg to 15mg then come straight off. I've had to fight to get them to understand this isn't the best way. Obviously you have a better cpn than me. Mine just correspondes with the physchiatrist who makes the decision. I've never even met the physchiatrist (waiting list too long) but she calls the shots & i have little choice but to follow.

• Posted

Hi Ann, i was managing ok until this last drop to 7.5mg. Feeling a bit crap now to say the least. However i don't think there's an easy route off this drug all we're trying to do is minimise the severity of the withdrawals. Withdrawals with subside, many people have proved this to be the case. We just have to be strong & fight through this one day at a time.

• Posted

I know what you mean but i feel all at sea with trying to manage this.  I am not sure if my original symptoms are coming back, or if i only have mirtazapine withdrawals.  Do you think the withdrawals include not just anxiety but a bit of depression, isolating from friends, not wanting to go tomshop etc. Are you experiencing that?   If i know it is all going to put itself right i will cope with it, but i am very worried (anxious) things are getting worse
    • Posted

I'm experiencing exactly the same. & it's only made worse each time the Mirtazapine is dropped because the body readjusts to the new dose. Your symptoms & mine seem to appear classic withdrawal symptoms. The good news is they will subside & go. We have countless examples on here of people who have experienced exactly the same but who have come out the other side & are now Mirtazapine free & feeling much better. That's something we need to remember.

• Posted

Thanks Tim.  I have the added problem of using valium for the agitation over this time and i am just going to have to keep using it till things subside.  Then i have to try to get off it, not going to be nice.  Meantime, trying to keep it down to 2mg in day to stop the problem.
    • Posted

I know it's very difficult. I've used Diazipam a couple of times. Also tried Temazipam twice. Tbh they didn't really help that much. Also it's a vicious circle because of the addictive nature of the drugs. It's a really hard balance i guess. But on a positive note you're almost off the Mirtazapine now so that's good.

• Posted

Hi Ann I have came off them completely as off last Friday my anxiety is through the roof hardly wanting to leave house my mood is very low and I’m feeling like my heart is pumping out my chest 😭 I am determined to get off this horrid pill but I’m not sleeping ( that’s all they did for me ) I find myself going to cupboard picking box up but then quickly think no don’t do it. I’m feeling really bad though and I don’t know if it’s the mirt or not I felt same when in them only difference was I was sleeping every night it’s awful 😭😭 xx

• Posted

Agree entirely, anxiety up the wall. So bad today. Not going up dose! Hopefully we can ride storm, how long will this last....
    • Posted

Hi Juls, how did you taper? From what dose & how long?

• Posted

TIm I just came off them completely no lowering just stopped. My choice. I was on 45 mg and also 30 I had both but stopped them all. I’m wondering how long my anxiety will last and low mood and no energy help I’m determined to not take them again no point since I’ve stopped since Friday 😭😭

• Posted

So you have stopped cold turkey from 45mg ?

Why are you so keen to get off them....have they not helped?

• Posted

Hi Jules,

I would be very careful about stopping them cold turkey, this isn't really recommended & especially from such a high dose. I would speak to your doctor about this. Gradually reducing the dose is definitely the wiser move. Obviously this will take longer but will be much less harsh on your mind & body

• Posted

Hey Ann,

I am extremely isolated. I am off 14 days. Today was the first time in 7 days I have left the house. Besides panic 24/7, dark depression is setting in. You are in my thoughts.

• Posted

Hey Tim,

Way back a man named Shaun or Denis was advised against a taper below 7.5. He said his practicioner named difficulty in taper at these levels. He didnt say what the problem was. Just wa nted to say since it seems alot of people get stuck, sick and have to increase. That post was about a year ago.

• Posted

Hi Gretel, yes i did see the same post. However there was no explanation of the doctors reasoning. Alot more people seem to of had success by slowly tapering. However ultimately everyone is different & react differently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.