Mirtazapine withdrawl

Posted , 9 users are following.

just wanted to share my experience so far of withdrawl from mirtazapine. I have only been off completely for 7 days so I totally realise I am not out of the woods yet and there very well may be more to come. I will try to keep updating. Am writing this I need the hope it mîght help someone as I myself have traveled through forums looking for other people's experiences.

my withdrawl has been as follows: was on 30mg for 8 months

withdrew to:

15mg for one month -all fine.

7.5mg for 4 days - felt very sedated on this dose

3.75 for 10 days - felt much better

1.87 for 4 days

then jumped off completely 7 days ago

i have insomnia but it isn't not too bad, can't sleep sometimes till 2am but then do sleep eventually for 4 or 5 hours or so. I have a prescription for zopiclone if needed but trying to resist. So far I have only taken half a zopiclone for just two nights (not consecutive) and slept very well. 

Today i I have been a bit teary and tired. Will keep you posted. Please comment if this has helped you in any way smile

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi katie, I'm happy to see you doing good, even you had to go back on remeron. I would not worry about it now. I'm coming off remeron too but I'm doing much much slower than you did. I'm dropping every 4 weeks only 10%.for  over a year now.  I'm at 1.8 mg and even this is very small dose is going to take me other 6-8 months to come off. If I would be you I would try it next time much slower. What I heard most people recommend 10% reduction every 3-4 weeks. Is easier on your CN. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you both. Am awaiting a change in consultant doctor now and the end of the summer holidays before trying anything else xx
    • Posted

So sorry to read of your suffering; you're not the first and won't be the last for sure to try to come off Mirt' and get hit with the nasty WD.  I'm so pleased reinstatement worked quickly for you, for anyone reading your story it might be worth them knowing that the longer time left before reinstatement the longer it may take to stabilise ~ nature of the beast of Mirtazapine/Remeron that actually alters our brains chemistry - if whipped away abruptly it is like removing the trellis that is holding up the rose arch and it crashes down ~ when in fact it needs to readjust slowly.  it is not about getting the med' or chemical out of the system, and cannot be flushed away.

I hope you find the support you need.  In my experience no doctors or p.docs knew about the terrible affects Mirt can cause, you might get more help here on the forum from a few folk who have travelled the road also.

Wishing you well, at least you are now in a good place smile  

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hello Calmer

And Katie please excuse my butting into this thread.  I wanted to ask for some advice from Calmer as I'm in a desperate situation myself having gone cold turkey seven weeks ago.  It's 3.30am and I'm going crazy with insomnia. I did take a zopiclone at 1.30am and still no luck.  I was on this drug for mainly anxiety and depression and never had a sleep problem until now..  I was on it for 5 months at a 15 mg dosage.   I regret not following a taper regime but I honestly did not know anything about this drug.  After 7 weeks I'm at my wits end so any help you can offer me will be gratefully appreciated. 

• Posted

Hello Katie

Goodluck with your progress.

I am on 45mg and have been for 1 year.

My psychiatrist has recommended I change to Prozac. However she wants me to come off mirtazapine fully before I start. The plan is to drop 15mg per week and then have one week without any medication.

I am day 2 @ 30mg.

To say I am scared about the upcoming weeks is an understatement.

I attempted to drop down 15mg 6 months ago. I because extremely paranoid.

Knowing what I potentially have coming up. I have written myself a series of letters to myself. So if I do start to get paranoid I can call upon them to reassure me, that I knew this was going to happen and that its the come down and not the reality.

We'll see how it goes.

Wish me luck scared but optimistic ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.