Mirtazapinee

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I've been on this med for 18 months and Venlafaxine for 10 months and in this time I have put on 3 stone and have severe sweating everyday.

I'm now desperate to come off the mertazapine and am seeing doc tomorrow. Has anyone come off this med successfully and how did you do it?

Thanks x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would recommend a very gradual reduction over a period of months. It took me four and a half months to come off mirtazapine from 30mg. I made a homemade liquid in order to titrate the final few mgs. Good luck. I have been free of it now since Mid February. I didn't find it very hard doing it very gradually but it was awful when I tried to come off it mmuch more quickly before that.

• Posted

Medically, cessation of mirtazapine or any non-addictive AD does not cause true withdrawal. That doesn't mean it's fun, though. I went through an unpleasant discontinuation syndrome when quitting Paxil more than a decade ago. Took a few months to feel "right." Conversely, I quit 45mg of mirtazapine cold turkey a couple months ago and felt fine after maybe 10 days. Easy as pie, in comparison. And I took mirtazapine for 12 years.

I went through benzo withdrawal years ago and THAT was hell on earth. And because I had to taper it down, it lasted almost a year. Stuff like benzos and opioids—truly addictive substances—those require a long taper to come off them without psychological and physical complications. Quitting benzos cold turkey can kill you. Quitting mirtazpaine cold turkey cannot.

I would recommend taking a week or two off work if possible and trying quitting cold turkey, or taper down a quarter pill every few days. Ask your doctor for a couple week's worth of benzos to keep your rebound anxiety in check while going through disconinuation. (I managed to not have to take a single benzo, which I honestly didn't think I could do because I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to anxiety!)

If after 5 days or so you don't feel better, then you can always try tapering instead. 

My reasoning for this: I'd rather rip the bandaid off quickly and feel bad for a week or two, than taper my dosage every few weeks and feel awful for an entire year.

Good luck!

• Posted

Everyone is different Julie, there is no right or wrong way just the right way for you.  I have been following a slow taper of 10% every 4 weeks (or 5% every 2 weeks if super sensitive) as I couuldn't hack any faster due to terrible discontinuation symptoms.  It depends on the individuals' DNA, some can quit CT and not get a flicker of anx/insomnia/nausea/ibs etc ... some get all of them.  

Maybe for an informed choice read the following, try 10% see how you feel firstly.

For advice on tapering Mirtazapine slowly at the recommended rate of no more than 10% every 3 or 4 weeks, please see the following which is within this forum, 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

and then click on the link "REDUCING AD'S USING 10% WITHDRAWAL METHOD".   

Liquid Mirt is available in the UK, Mirt Sol Tabs are available everywhere and can be used to make a liquid which can then be used to titrate evenly in smaller doses.

Lots of advise to share on this forum, do your research, I never heard of anyone CT successfully other than MUD, who is so lucky to escape any suffering of stopping Mirt.

Wishing you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.