Mirtazepine 15mg for severe PND

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I have a 4 week old baby and have been suffering terrible terrible terrible post natal depression and anxiety! I was taking paroxetine 20mg for four weeks but after being assessed by mental health team they have changed my medication to Mirt 15mg with an increase to 30mg in a weeks time! Ive been told that this will medication should benefit me more as it is a total different antidepressant I really hope it does as I just want to feel myself instead of this horrible person who regrets having a baby and wishes Id never got pregnant even though I was looking so forward to being a mum! I am aware the tablet helps you sleep I'm just wondering will I still be able to wake for night feeds? And is this tablet good as I am so desperate to feel normal again instead of this depressed person who can't bond with her son and doesn't want to be here!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte, 

post natal depression is very common. It's a disease. Nothing anyone can fight or prevent. It's like Clinical Depression - I couldnt prevent it, but now I have to deal with it. It's a lot easier to deal with a disease when you allow yourself to be "sick". If you had a broken leg you wouldnt chastice yourself over it, right? You'd get help, wait until it heals and take care of yourself in the meantime. 

I know it's not easy to think that way, when you are in a dark place. But just reading it may help. 

Now Mirt made me feel like a normal person again - almost over night. I did work really well for me. But I dont think you can breastfeed while being on your meds. 

You will also be quite sleepy with taking meds, though the higher the dose apparently the less the somnolence.

I would try it for a night or two. Often enough the biological sense of getting up and feeding your baby trumps any meds. If you realize that you can't get up. That you don't hear your baby early enough, talk to your doctor / nurse / midwife. 

Either you have someone around who could stay with you overnight (mom, friend, father of the child) and take over the feedings or worst case is that you go back to the hospital and get help from the nurses there. They can either take over the feedings or wake you, so you are getting into a rythm. 

Possibly there is also a chance to get a caregiver for a short amount of time who stays with you over night. Sometimes insurance will cover this, depending on where you live. 

All these kind of things I would ask your docs/nurse/healthteam. They can get you in touch with a social worker who has contacts and experience. 

Remember: You are not the only one! You are not alone! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.