Mirtazipine dosage increase

Posted , 8 users are following.

After 8 weeks of hell on sertraline my doctor changed me to 15mg of mirtazipine. This got to work within days and I had a good 3 weeks of feeling almost normal ! I thought this was a miracle drug but this last week I've felt my anxiety creeping back and this morning was feeling quite desperate. I went to see my GP and he said double the dose. I expressed my concern about the fact that lower doses are better for anxiety and sleep and I was worried that a higher dose wouldn't be good for my anxiety but he dismissed this and sent me off with a 30mg prescription. Do I take it ? I can't go back to were I started I feel so scared and desperate

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

dont be scared ,,obviously  the lower dose wasnt strong enough for you x
  • Posted

Jessica, is sertraline the only AD you've been on before the Mirtazapine?   What were the problems after 8 weeks of sert?

• Posted

Originally I went into a massive state of panic worrying about the results of a heart scan and was given 1 weeks worth of diazepam. 4 days in I went to my doctor and said the diazepam was knocking me out and making me unable to function so he put me on sertraline 50mg for 6 weeks. When I was still getting worse he doubled the dose to 100 and after a total of 8 weeks on sert I was crippled with anxiety to the point I felt I couldn't stand another day, I couldn't sleep, eat or stop crying and having panic attacks. A CPN then recommended mirtazipine to my doctor. My sertraline was dropped to 50mg for 2 days then 15mg of mirtazipine was introduced and the sert put down to 25mg for 3 days and then stopped. I then continued on 15mg of mirt for almost 3 weeks doing really well but when my symptoms returned the mirtazipine was doubled on Monday. I really don't think there is a med that will stop this constant crippling anxiety apart from benzos which you can't stay on for more than a few weeks. I am all out of hope ??

• Posted

Hon, I think you've missed the elephant in the room - the drug WAS your problem! You had anxiety about a heart scan - a lot of people would be anxious about that, but it doesn't mean you have a "disease" that needs treatment with a powerful psych drug!  If you read through this forum you will find soooo many people complaining of severe anxiety on start up of these meds!  So, then your doctor tried to treat a drug side effect with another psych med, mirtazapine!  

Sending you a pm 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.