Mirtazipine + Weight Loss

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi All,can anyone tell me when or if the weight will come either during or after finishing with tapering off mirt.I feel like a large piece of lard on 2 legs after adding 2 stone.I have just seen myself in the mirror and look like Ian Beale in Eastenders with a protruding tum.I am on 3rd cut from 15ml-now down to 11.9mg or 0.77ml.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

When you stop overeating.  I am on Mirtzapine and I eat like a horse with it, so I am not being funny.  I assume when I come off it these desires to overeat will go - but I am on 45mg, and had these desires on 15mg, so in my case I guess it will come off slowly.  You probably need the drug to be out of your system for a while before the weight will drop off.  However, apparently quite a few anti-depressants have weight gain as a side effect.  Your doctor may put you on another, although I believe Mirtz. is one of the worst for weight gain - but it's a relatively effective anti-depressant, with fewer side effects.

• Posted

Not until you are off it, I'm afraid, although your appetite should decrease a lot before then and the weight gain should slow down or stop (if you are careful what you eat). I didn't start to lose weight until I had been off it completely for two weeks.

• Posted

I found the cravings stopped about 2-3weeks after coming off.. I started losing weight while on mirt thr a strict no carb diet apart from sweets I couldn't stop that craving bt still lost weight every week. Good luck.

• Posted

I didn't really overeat when I was on it but couldn't exercise at all as had abdo surgery.  Put on two stone and have lost it again in just beer two months since stopping without tapering.  Felt more like I put on ten stone though, really uncomfortably heavy and mainly around my middle, not my normal weight distribution. 

• Posted

Hi plainden.. Im always interested in reading posts in regards to mirtazipine & answeres to many of my questions that I I wanted to know about the effects of this drug.. I have been on mirt 30mg for 6 months.. my Doc advised me to construct a new diet consisting of more green vegetables, fruits (low in sugars) carbs & fats..  However, I did notice that I had more cravings for nibblies eg; chocolate, crisps etc., I guess that Im one of the more fortunate ones igher who have higher energy levels..  Love Ian Beale by the way xx  -  GOOD LUCK plainden.. Im sure you will not have to deal with the weight prob when you are off mirt all together lol

• Posted

Hi

I think is a myth about mirt to gain weight, if you work out very often you don't necessarily gain weight; it can add muscle but not fat. If you eat healthy you can't gain weight.

Hope it helps you

• Posted

It's not a myth. I have always been a skinny size 8 and exercised every day. Proper gym work out every day, plus have a physical job with horses. I also eat healthily and am the same size age 53 as I was when I was 18 (I still have my old jodhpurs). However, within 6 months of going on mirtazapine I gained 20lbs without changing a thing. Yes, I craved more food, but I didn't eat it. I have a very strong will. When I decided I would have to diet, I documented every morsel/calorie that passed my lips, and every minute of exercise I did each day for over a year. With my height (5ft 10), age and fitness/exercise level, I needed 2400 calories a day to maintain my weight, but if I ate any more than 1800 calories in a day, I gained weight. The proof is there on my spreadsheets that in my case I needed at least 400 calories a day less than if I wasn't on mirtazapine. When on my higher dose of mirt, I needed 500 calories a day less. So the weight gain on mirtazapine for MOST people is two pronged; it makes you want to eat more, and it lowers the rate at which your body burns calories and promotes fat storage. There are a very lucky minority who do not appear to be affected by this. You are obviously one of them.

• Posted

500 should read 600, sorry. I did manage to lose most of the weight whilst still on mirt, but as I say, it necessitated me cutting my calories by 4-600 more than if I had not been on the drug. I am now off it, eat much more and have returned to my size 8 figure.
    • Posted

Omg you are joking . It's not a myth at all this med has made so many people I'll because of the weight gain. If u research it like many have its a hestimine blocker & also used to make anorexics eat. Therefore you are very lucky if you dnt gain weight...my word I wish it was a myth the constant suger cravings made me relapse

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up