MIrtazipine withdrawel. I have been suffering insomnia for months. Will it end

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have read old posts on this subject and am wondering whether the problems people had were resolved and how long it tool

PP

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm tapering slowly off mirtazapine and I have insomnia. mirtazapine never helped me sleep so I've had insomnia a little over 5 months. my insomnia has improved over time but as soon as I make a cut I dont sleep. I'm going very slow 2.5% a week. sometimes 5%. it usually passes then comes back. how are you doing now? did you taper off mirtazapine or just stop?

• Posted

I was on Mirt for 13 weeks in all. That included 4 weeks of tapering from 30mg to 7.5. My insomnia started when I was on 30mg and has continues through the tapering and through the 10 weeks since I complerely stopped taking the pill. I had never had insomnia in my life before. It sounds like you were taking Mirt because you had insomnia and it is supposed to be very good for sleep. Well I have had a bad experience with this drug. Everyone advises that very slow tapering is the thing to do but my doctor told me to get off at 7.5mg rather than prolonging the agony. I am very elderely so it might take some time before my normal sleep pattern returns. I dont know whether you will be better off continuing yo slow taper or to jump off. How long you were on the drug and at what dose is supposed to indicate how long withdrawals last. Also your age. It seems to me that it is all highly individual. Insomnia is a dreadful thing. I now reluctantly use zopiclone. I just cant go without sleep endlessly. 5 months of insomnia for you, how do you tolerate it.

• Posted

yes I was put on it for insomnia but it only worked 3 nights at 7.5mg. my doctor told me to up to 15mg and give it time. it never worked so I tried to go down 2 months once but had terrible symptoms so I went back up to 15mg and symptoms subsided with in a few days. I'm in my 40s. be careful with the Z drugs they have terrible symptoms once they stop working. I believe one medication I was on triggered the ambien I was on to stop working then led to severe insomnia. that is when I started mirtazepine which didnt work either. I dont know your age but maybe there are alternatives you can try. I have had the most success with sustained release melatonin from a compounding pharmacy. you need a prescription. doctor recently put me on progesterone because she believes my hormones are out of whack. it seems to help some. I cope because I have to no other choice. I'm not in a good mood when I dont sleep I just keep dealing best I can. it's not fun and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. my insomnia is pretty bad at times I sleep every other night and sometimes have gone 3 nights with no sleep. it has improved some but I feel the cut of mirtazapine almost instantly and I wont sleep the whole night I make the cut. I know that's different than what people say about withdrawal symptoms showing up 2 to 3 weeks out. that hasn't been the case for me.

• Posted

Yes, I really don't want to be on zopiclone for long. I have tried melatonin and it didnt help. I will ask doctor about slow release melatonin Thanks for that information.. Yes, at ypur age it could be hormones.

• Posted

regular melatonin didnt work for me either. the sustained release from compounding pharmacy is different. it doesnt always work for me but sometimes it does. the over the counter one didnt help me at all.

• Edited

also have you tried CBD oil? a high dose one. it didnt work for me but thinking might need higher dose. it's very expensive but maybe it might help. some people say it works for them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.