Misdiagnosis or just a horror case?

Posted , 8 users are following.

One day I woke up with light red dots all over my wrist and palms. It looked like someone took a pink highlighter and made dots all over. That went on for a good 1-2 months. I didn't have scabs, they didn't hurt, they just itched. When I scratched the ones on my wrist enough, it would become extremely pink/red (i'm super pale btw) and kinda raised. 99% of the time, the dots/spots were flat, not raised like hives although a few times one or two were hive like. I checked my bed for bugs, washed all my bedding and clothes and nothing changed. I went to my doctor to see what it was because it had worsened to the point my wrists were COVERED and it started spreading to my knees. She told me to go to a dermatologist.

I started getting them on my thighs, inner thighs, tummy, and some times on my chest.  I also had them all on the bottom of my feet, around my ankles, and in between my toes, but only like once or twice. I saw the nurse practitioner there and she said it was scabies, she looked for burrows and said she saw some. She said that they do not go on your face yet I had some the first day around my lips and one even slightly on my lip (which was gone the next day). She prescribed me medicine, it was a few pills, I followed the instructions (washed and sprayed EVERYTHING in my house) and things got a bit better over time.

Yet I still have them. Some days I have not one spot then the next day DOOM i have them on my arms, top of the hands, and legs. I take 2 benedryl everynight to help me sleep and to help with allergies and I've noticed that if i dont take benedryl everynight, thats when they pop up more. Every time after i shower or use hot water or am hot at all, they tend to pop up. I do have slightly dry skin. I don't know what to do. I just FEEL like its not scabies. The medicine didn't work. The washing and sprays didn't work. Its now been close to half a year of having whatever it is i have and i'm at a loss of what to do. Treatments aren't cheap. I was (and still am) on anti-depressants, anxiety medication, thyroid medicine,  and blood pressure medicine (for anxiety) at the time I took the scabies medicine. Could that have anything to do with why I still have the spots? I didn't ever go anywhere besides the store & doctors office (which was months before spots popped up) or see anyone besides my family when I got them, all whom did not get the spots/rash. Still, nearly half a year later, no one in my household has gotten them. I do have a cat who lives in my room but he never goes outside. We have 2 dogs and another cat. 

I added photos of what they looked like before I took the medicine. Now with they pop up they look like picture #3. Spaced out, almost like large pink freckles. They go away in a few hours to a day. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just wondering if you ever got an answer to exactly what you have. I have been sick for 4 months. Itchy rash that Doctors want to write off as an allergic reaction. But they don't know what. But it started on holidays on island of Maui. I was not taking any meds and I've never had an allergic reaction. As I hand fed wild birds every day I've finally decided it may be connected to the birds But I'm away from them for 4 months. It got to point I couldn't sleep or even wear any tight fitting cloths. Example. Bra. Itched like crazy. To the point I couldn't stand it. A dermatologist put me on prednisone but as I am going off the itchiness seems to be coming back. So did you ever get any help?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.