Missed 3 days of Effexor, had panic attack and feel depressed

Posted , 6 users are following.

I missed 3 days of my effexor 300mg and on the 4th I took my regular dose again. That day I was feeling horrible and sad. I cried for most of the evening, then had a panic attack 2 days later. I still feel sad and on the verge of a panic attack. Is this normal for missing my meds? Does it take a while for the Meds to work again? I am tempted to see my doctor as it's effecting me now. Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Absolutely normal. You should be feeling better almost as soon as you've reinstated the drug. Keep plenty in supply so this doesn't happen again. (Same time every day)

All the best x

• Posted

Hi Sara,

That's what I thought as well. It's been a week and 2 days and I almost admitted myself to the ER. I was experiencing massive depression and anxiety that I had not felt in a very long time. Usually these would go away but it seems every time my Ativan Dosage wears off I drop like a Rock. I am going to try and sleep tonight and see how things go. I am so discouraged and crying non stop. My brain seems to be thinking a million scenarios at once. I wonder if effexor is not working cause I have little to no relief.

• Posted

I feel your pain in your email. Do you drink any alcohol by any chance?

• Posted

Normal. Should balance out over the course of the week. You feel on the verge of a panic attack because you fear it. 300mg should prevent that quite nicely. It is very unkind to your body and brain to miss doses of any psychotropic. As Sara said, best taken religiously and at the same time every day. Keeping even chemical levels is crucial for aiding your recovery. Otherwise the drug is unable to help or at least unable to help sufficiently. All the best
    • Posted

Thanks, it's been 6 days since and I had to go to the hospital as my anxiety was overwhelming. The gave me some Ativan. I saw my doctor today who prescribed more Ativan. She too said not taking my meds even just one dose can cause issues. I am worried though as today I had another couple of attacks. How long will it take to feel somewhat normal again. I have been taking the 300mg since Friday night last week.

Eric

• Posted

A while. Not because you simply missed 3 days of ven, but because you crossed over the panic edge again. Your mind fears the panic attacks very much and this keeps you stuck close to the edge now ruminating consciously or even subconsciously so. At 300mg you are stabilizing now as it has been a week. With a bit of a nudge from Ativan I would say that you can chill out again in about 2-3 days. Although you will now have doubts and be tense for a while...until you distance yourself from this experience a bit more over time. You can afford this kind of a skip when you have been symptom free for 2 years or more - timing was unfortunate at just around 6 months of taking the drug smile

Don't worry though - nothing bad will happen. Keep calm and busy with any pleasent task you can think of. No coffee/cola drinks, limit sugar and opt for gentle comforting/soothing foods for a couple of days (act like you have the flu) - This will help you chill out a bit. Lots of contact with water will help ease the charge too. Wishing you a swift jump back on track smile

• Posted

Thank you so very much, just hearing about others peoples experiences and your suggestions has already helped. I was able to pick up some Ativan this morning and took one 1mg. Going to start journalling again and get lots of sleep. Thank you so very much. smile I will keep everyone in touch as to how things are going. 
    • Posted

Hi

It seems things are getting worse. I am going to go to ER if these depression and anxiety feelings come back. They are brutal and my world seems like coming to an end I would have thought that the depression and anxiety would have subsided at least a little. The Ativan helps a little buy I don't want to keep taking 1mg twice a day. Maybe I need to do that for another week Seeing my family doc this week. Thanks for your thoughts.

• Posted

Hi. You should be taking ativan as prescribed so your symptoms stop escalating. If you were asked to take it 2 or even 3 times a day this was so that you can keep even levels for a few weeks until you are back on track. Alternatively your doctor will have no choice but try to push up the dose of Effexor, or prescribe an additional antidepressant, or change your medication. Which will be harder to cross than a few weeks on Ativan.

I had to take Xanax (alprazolam) for 2-3 months every day three times a day as prescribed by psychiatrist until my body and mind settled and i was then easily weaned off them once my final dose of Effexor was established. This was done following a massive  relapse suffered by premature discontinuation of my medicine and worsened by post-partum stress.

Speak to your prescribing doctor ASAP so they can decide the best course of action for you. You are tense and worried and this is not conductive to recovery. I really feel for you. Wish you to feel better soon.

• Posted

Thanks it's really nice to be able to hear someone else's experience and how they managed to get by. I had a pretty emotional Thursday and Friday, with two hospital and doctor visits in order to get Ativan. I found myself going down the rabbit hole and looking at what I do in my life and how that would fall apart if I continued to have these panic attacks and depressive moods. I know there is not one magic pill. I am seeing a new Therapist and I know this will help too. I find it so hard to live in the day without worrying about the past or future. I will catch everyone up with my docs response tomorrow night. Thank you

• Posted

That's good to hear Jeffaslo, I hope you make use of ' Talking therapy" too it is one way out but you need to stick with the pills for a while All the best -try to see it through - there is s good end!!

• Posted

You must not miss doses because what people don't realize is the body responds to the drug's action by remodeling to down-regulate neurotransmitter production; the drug becomes like a scaffold the nervous system is now built upon, and yanking it away suddenly leaves the nervous system floundering with those changes unopposed - big instability and withdrawal symptoms!  This is why it is necessary to taper very slowly, VERY slowly, if ever you want to come off, so the nervous system can gradually adjust back.

ADs artificially increase neurotransmitter levels, and the nervous system doesn't like it; it wants homeostasis, so those changes do take place to bring about balance, this time with the drug built in.

• Posted

Hi Jeffaslo,

If I forget to take mine for just one day I have severe emotional symptoms 3 days later, getting tearful and very low. I rarely forget to take a dose and even come home from work if I realise I haven't taken them (very understanding employer) so I can take them as soon as I remember. Your symptoms are understandable if you didn't take them for 3 days.

• Posted

I see. Yes this week has been so hard feelings of extreme anxiety, depression etc. I hope being able to take some Ativan here and there will help until the Effexor starts to work again as it was before. I have been taking it since November 2016.

Thanka Eric

• Posted

Dear Jeff I think you should just persevere with your meds Try not to miss them out as there is a comeback I took Venlafaxine for about two and a half years but it certainly got me out of the depression which was truly debilitating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.