Mistakenly taken too much Prednisolone

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've been taking 3 mg per day for around six months now, I always cut into a strip of three and place on pots along with my other tablets for the day.   Today I had a strip of 2 and an odd one and realised 2 of them are 5mg, I must have been taking 15mg a day for probably 8 days. Reasoning that these are the only 2 X 5 mg left in the pots so I will have cut up a whole pack of 28 and taken 26 over the days.

how shall I preeceed from now on please.

Regards

Angel cake

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ask the doctor. This requires a plan for reducing so you don't have side effects.
  • Posted

Angelcake, an easy mistake. As Mrs O says as it has been a few days it may be a good idea to reduce a bit more slowly. If it had been over a couple of weeks you would probably need to start to do a proper taper. Out of interest did you feel any better for the extra dose? I have managed to forget to take them and that is definitely not a good idea! 
    • Posted

Hi things are not as bad as I first thought, I'd packed my medication to go away for a few days tomorrow,  upon checking found I'd packed 18 of the 5 mg tablets which means I have only taken 10 of them from the packet of 28.

Im so relieved, not only does it mean I probably won't have to start tapering but I found out before going away, otherwise I would have either taken the rest of the 5mg unbeknowing or realised to late and not had the 1 mg to take.

phew, I've now stored the 5mg out of harms way.

yes I did feel better my painful toe which has been operated on felt better and I could walk better, I had noticed that my face was red though and I was feeling quite happy and talkative, of course at the time I wouldn't have know it was the pred.

thank you all so much for your replies, I feel a bit of a fool now for wasting your time.

THANK YOU 

• Posted

Hi Angelcakes,  Don't feel like a fool,look at it as a learning experience.  We do haved to be so careful of our medications, mark them clearly, and write things down.  I write my dose down each AM in a little book, it keeps me on track, especially I'm doing a gradual taper.  Enjoy your time away for a few days!           Elinor.
    • Posted

Phewee! A Ptolemy said, an easy mistake - we've all done it.  Have a lovely few days away.
  • Posted

I am not sure what you could do but to prevent this problem from happening, I have marked a 5 on cap of 5mg Bottle of Prednisone and a 1 on cap of 1 mg bottle.
    • Posted

Great minds think alike, I have done the same thing! 
  • Posted

I myself would resume at my usual daily dose, then I would be vigilant for several days in trying to detect any sudden need for a higher dosage.

If some degree of flare-up of pmr symptoms were to occur, I would immediately take 1 or 2mg additional as needed and when needed to reel in the flaring symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.