Mitrazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I would like to know why there is an opinion that if mirt works for you ,you are naive.for every person it doesn't work for there must be a person it works for.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You must work our what works for you. All anti-depressants have side-effects. I found that mirtazipine makes me incredibly sleepy and so if I have an important appointment in the monring I don't take it in the evening.

If you ask on this site about a particular medication you are going to generally receive replies from zealots for or against.

As to the 400 m pages on the Internet complaining about Mirt - the world pop is only about 7 billion (well roughly).

From Wikipedia I read the following: "In a major meta-analysis published in 2009 that compared the efficacy and tolerability of 12 second-generation antidepressants, mirtazapine was found to be superior to all of the included selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) etc"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirtazapine

("Comparative efficacy and acceptability of 12 new-generation antidepressants: a multiple-treatments meta-analysis" Cipriani et al Lancet)

My experience is that my doctor minimised my suggestion of side-effects eg with Lithium and stopping taking it removed these. They found recently that Lithium was damaging my kidneys and only then did they take me off it.

Make what you like of this.

• Posted

Hi Carolyn, everyone has different experiences with different medications. Mirtazapine has been great for me, I've been taking it about 6 months now. I have gained a little weight but before starting it I had already lost 2 stone from being ill, so it didn't matter that I gained some weight, and as someone else has said I don't care because it's a small price to pay to feel well, and now that I do feel well I can get to the gym to keep healthy. Citalopram however was awful for me, worsened my mood and my insomnia, but I do know some people who have got on well with it, so different drugs are different for everyone. There will always be someone who has something bad to say about any drug as everyone reacts differently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.