Mix and match benzodiazepines

Posted , 5 users are following.

Why don't doctors understand the hell they're putting human beings through. It's either falling on deaf ears or 'all in your mind' is a good one when referred to a psychiatrist when you're in withdrawal. The next thing is you are diagnosed with a mental illness and given a label. The best one is probably schizophrenia or they'll change it to maybe schizoaffective disorder then add more to the mix of antipsychotics. Unfortunately antipsychotics also lower the seizure threshold. So how can you taper of any benzo when you're at risk of seizure from the antipsychotics? Can any doctor answer please? All benzos and Z drugs work in the same way to give their posh name anxiolytics or hypnotics. All are addictive, cumulative and have a different half life! So how and why do they keep on prescribing them? Why give diazepam and zopiclone combined with rispiridone, or diazepam with Olanzapine? Does this make any sense? They knew in the 1970s these drugs were causing devastation, breaking up families, driving people to suicide. YET there are people even on this forum who are new to benzos. WHY new accidental addicts. Is it money from drug companies or sheer ignorance? 

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I can tell you and Craig have been at thisa long time....Gosh I feel like such a newbie! 
  • Posted

It's a mixture of money and sheer ignorance. Older doctors, you'll find, won't prescribe them at all, on the whole - except for elderly ladies who have been on the same dose for thirty years or more.

Younger doctors are not taught how to get patients off benzos and the Zs. There is so much else for them to learn. I am lucky - my GP kind of forced me to go to the local drug addiction centre (self-referral) because he himself just didn't know what to do with me.

It changed everything. I am now on a reducing dose of diazepam, going at my  own pace, have not been labelled, have been given respect and support and finally made me realise that I, too, could get off everything ending in 'epam'.

As to new patients - I suspect that more than a few have obtained their meds from the helpful internet, possibly after a week's worth from a GP. I may be wrong, but I think I'm right. Please, anyone, correct me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.