MND. Same diagnosis since my dad died in 1986!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,My name is Claire. My dad; Eric died within six months of being diagnosed with MND after suffering from Bell's Pallsey in 1986. I was nine at the time and It has had a massive impact on my life. I decided to study genetics because of this and then rapidly talked myself into a state of denial. My father was an avid gardener and used herbicides and pesticides that have been banned a LONG time ago. David Niven tended his Lemon trees and sprayed them also, also had bells Pallsey on line TV and then MND and therefore when my beautiful, sporty, intelligent Dad died from this disease that made him shuffle, choke and waste away I quickly arrived a the conclusion that it could not be genetic in my case. I am now 37, have back spasms, a weak left hand WHICH HAPPENS TO BE MY WRITING HAND.my right hand has decided to take over.random muscle twitches and I am scared as hell. It could be down to stress?I am an identical twin. My sister has had back issues but has not discussed anything further, do you think I am being stupid?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Claire .. I do not know what MND stands for.  Please let me know, and then I will get back to you after my doc appt today. Keep the faith.  Never feel that you are being stupid because you are worried about something.  You are only being curioius.  It is one way in which are minds get us thinking on the right track.

Later, Jamie

• Posted

Hi Jamie, it stands for Motor Neurone DIsease. You may well of heard of Stephen Hawkins who has survived with this disease longer than anyone I know of. It is also known as man in a barrel syndrome because the mind is completely unaffected by the disease. You know everything that is happening to you and cannot do much about it. Thanks :0)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.