Molluscum Contagiosum, 21 year old female, otherwise healthy. Losing hope :(

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi guys,

I just joined this group as I'm running out of hope with this horrible infection! I have probably had MC for about 5 months now, on my inner thigh and genital region. For the first 3 months, I actually thought I had ingrown hairs, or a fungal infection from having to wear stockings every day so I was lathering steroid cream on the bumps- which made it 10000x worse. I finally went to the doctor in early April, and I couldn't believe I had MC- still have no idea how I got it.

We started burning the bumps, but alas they kept returning more and more. I have tried everything (ACV, TTO). I even got so desperate, I stupidly used 'wart-off' a highly acidic product. This actually burnt off most of my skin, including my very sensitive genital region. The pain was unbearable, I couldn't walk as huge burn blisters formed between my legs and my doc confirmed I had second degree burns. I did not think the MC could survive that trauma, but I was wrong and after my wounds heal guess what?.... MORE FRESH MC LESIONS!! 

The doctor looked at the MC again after the burns had healed and he insisted it was clearing up. But I used my phone light to inspect myself again as I got home, and I could clearly see new lesions forming. 

So this is where I'm at now. For the past week, I have been rigirous in my methods. I am using aldara 3 times a week, and on the other days using iodine solution( Aldara comes in teeny tiny packets and is super expensive, which is really annoying). I am then covering every inch of skin between my legs with tough, XL bandaids. It's not all that comfortable but that way I am stopping the infection from spreading ( I hope ). I do this every night after a shower. I then wear it for the whole next day then take the bandaids off in the shower at night and repeat the process. I have seen a big improvement with this method. My skin is quite red and irritated in general, but I know that the inflamation of molluscum is good as it means the immune system is fighting it. Other than scabby lesions, I have about 6 newer tiny ones that are only skin colour and I'm waiting for them to run its course. 

I am going to Europe in July, which is only 6 weeks away. We are meant to be sailing around Croatia in a yacht and I have no idea how I am going to stomach wearing bikini with the scars I have from this horrible disease. It is so hard to keep positive, I have had to push away a relationship with someone I really liked because I was so afraid of him finding out/getting intimate. 

I would love to hear other people's advice/stories. It's good to finally get this off my chest. I wish anyone else who is suffering with this a speedy recovery  sad 

Many thanks

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Aldara basically just makes the body aware, that you have a virus. This in turn causes the body to remove it from the inside, which is the best case scenario but can take some time. I've been battling mc for two months, cuterage as been the most efficient way, you need to eliminate these as soon as you see them, or else baby molluscums will keep popping up till your body recognizes it. Go to the derm and get them cut, if their small they won't cut them, they'll freeze them. The smaller ones are the only ones that somewhat hurt. Ive been getting treatment for two weeks, now I only have two on my left arm. All the ones on my groin are healing and I've seen no new ones. Also don't shave. Once a core is removed your body has no choice but to recognize the virus, because it has to clean up the scar. After the treatment, the most molluscums will be around is 6 months after, in healthy people molluscum normally clears on its own within 4 months. I know it tough and I'm still fighting, but continued treatment will only speed it up and is the quickest way. I've spoke to 6 derms and numerous std doctors. They all state the most effective treatments are 1. Cutterage 2. Lazer therapy 3. Beetle juice. 4. Freezing. 5. Aldara

• Posted

I want to get lazer but nobody in my town does it for molluscum :\ my doctor says now I have damaged my skin so much, I ended up with a severe staph infection. So I have to stop all treatments for a while so the skin can heal sad I think i might buy a freezing kit for at home so I can do it when Im better. Although I must say, one side of my leg has almost completely cleared. Just waiting for the other side now, and to heal my skin & scars :\ 

• Posted

Don't wait for the new ones to run its course, that's how they multiply. Same day you see them get them removed. You'll be over it soon, you've been using Aldara and have already had it for 5 months.

• Posted

Truthfully this virus is very stubborn. Everyone is different. I tried all and non of it worked. I finally went to a Derm and he  started freezing them and it worked but more kept coming up. I also took matters in my own hands. I purchased a blackhead removal kit and I started plucking the bumps white core out and applied iodine or vinegar. I placed a bandage over it becuase it bleeds like hell. If you pick on it and it does not bleed, it means you did not remove the core. I had this virus over a year. You need to clear it before it spreads. Do not shave because I did and not knowing what I had and it made it a lot worse. 
  • Posted

Hi everyone

It's finally gone!! I went to the dermatologist, and instead of freezing, she extracted the inside of every papule with a small blade. It has been three weeks now and my skin is smooth with no new bumps.

However I have awful scars, whatever you do - DO NOT COVER EVERY SPOT WITH BANDAIDS. It is very dangerous for your skin and will most likely cause infection and leave marks. 

I honestly believe no treatments will work within the first few months of the disease- initially NOTHING was working. I've had it for about 6-7 months now so I think the disese had just run its course. I have so many regrets and wish I was more gentle with my skin, but at least it is gone now.

I hope anyone suffering this has a quick recovery! Thanks for all the advice.

• Posted

I am also a 21 year old female who has been battling this for 9 months. All over my buttocks, shoulder, and stomach. I am so sorry about what you are going through, I can relate sad it's horrific and has affected my life greater then I can even explain. I lose more hope everyday.

I'm currently trying a prescription called Condyline, typically used for genital warts but my doctor told me to give it a try. I can let you know how it goes. I've tried it all.. ACV, iodine, popping them, epsom salt baths, eating healthy, vitamins, freezing them off at the doctor....

I feel this girls pain. If anyone has any suggestions for us please let us know...

• Posted

I'm in a similar situation at the moment.  sad

How are the bumps now?

• Posted

All gone now. It was very stressful but finally all gone.

• Posted

I have, as others seem to, tried several different methods to help clear theses spots. They were in my genital area.  I'm on my second round with one year reprieve in between. The first time I paid an enormous amount of money to visit my physician every three weeks to burn them off with acid. The money was more painful than the physical pain.This time my physician  said just to use Aldara but I don't wish to spread it so I researched homeopathic treatments.  I ended up cleaning them either with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. Then I used Aldara cream at night and Persa 10 gel in the morning and afternoon. This seems to have worked quite well. I now have flat red spots after only 3 weeks. I plan to continue on the same regimen for another week. I hope that's the end of them but if I get more, I plan to use the same regimen.

I think the Pesra 10 gel was the key. I read some papers about it and thought I would try it. At first, didn't have much faith in it since I found the ACV and tea tree oil to be unsuccessful. I was also surprised on how quickly the Persa 10 gel worked and it doesn't have an odor.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

• Posted

I had molluscum for about 8 months (and all summer long) I either wore long sleeves and pants in 90 degree weather or used a Sally Hansen body makeup that hid the redness of molluscum but not the bumps and I was so self conscious the whole time, I'm 24 so being a young girl with this that shows so visibly is absolutely horrible for your self esteem...you aren't alone. I tried apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil..they didnt do much and I did it religiously.

My molluscum is about 90 percent gone now though and it's because of salycilic acid that I started using about a week ago. go onto eBay and buy a salycilic acid solution that's 20% it should be like 8 or 9 dollars. Put it on every little bump, I had to pretty much rub it over my whole body because I had so many. But do that every morning and night and use a salycilic acne cleanser you find at the drug store in the shower (this helps the underlying ones pop up faster ) and I swear to you your molluscum will be gone

I literally thought I was gonna be the person who had molluscum for like 5 years because it is posssible for it to stay in your body that long but I was lucky enough to come by one post that said salycilic acid works and I literally never see it posted anywhere else but it needs to be known!

I don't know how to post pictures on this forum but if you want some just let me know like it's actually amazing how much it cleared up in like 4 days

• Posted

I just joined this site today because my molluscum that I had for about 8 months that completely covered my arms and legs is like 90% gone and I wanted to tell everyone suffering with this how to actually get rid of it because it literally ruined my life for those 8 months. I don't wish it on anyone and it's frustrating going on sites and seeing acv and tea tree oil, which don't work I've tried, being the only at home relief talked about. But salycilic acid is the only at home remedy that will get rid of molluscum and so fast too like I'm actually amazed. Just go on eBay and buy 20% salycilic acid for like 9 dollars and put it on the affected area. I swear to you it will clear up if not go away completely in a matter of days. Please if you have any questions ask me and if you want to see before and after pics let me know because I have plenty!

• Posted

Good to know you've managed to rid yourself of this horrible virus!  I'm still stuck with it for 5-6 months now and I want to do what you suggested but I've been told I shouldn't be applying salycilic acid to genital areas.  What can I do?  Feel so desperate sad

• Posted

I too am in this same boat. I have had MC for 10monthd now and I’m 47 yrs old. No one else I know has it including my husband of 27yrs. And we have not stopped having sex... At first I thought was from shaving when I first noticed them in July, then I went to my gyno cause I was having female problems, as I’m also going through the change and my estrogen at that time I was less than 5, which from my research can cause a lowered immune system.  I also was so freaked out by this I got std texted twice, all negative. All mine have been on my inner thighs and buttocks. I finally went to the derm after trying multitude of otc treatments with little results.  The best results st that time came from regular wart remover but did burn the surmounting skin. The derm would not burn them, she said burning can cause sprayer and actually make them spread. She would scrap them, but first she wanted me to try a green tea extract cream for genital and Amal warts that she’s had good luck with called Veregen. I went to the Pharmacy to get and with my insurance HOLY S**T!!! it was gonna cost me $1300 out of pocket for 1 tube!!! Even with coupons the cheapest I could get it was $900. Needless to say I didn’t get it...  the derm ended up giving me a very small sample  that lasted 3 days and said I could do tea tree oil and betadine. Of which I had told her I’d already done before... but ok..  so after that didn’t work I took matters into my own hands!  I’m a wound care nurse and have access to disposable currettes and I began cruretting them till they bleed and apply tea tree oil. I wash with tea tree oil soap. And soak in Epsom salts. This has nearly cleared them.  I have a total of 5 left.  I did another curette session today. And back to soaking 20 min 1-2 x a day.  My derm also said that the reason my husband doesn’t have them is probably because he had them as a kid, which apparently most people do...  except us lucky ones...   and generally it’s unlikely once gone that it will come back.  Which makes sense since it’s from the pox family...   my other thing I’m doing is a zinc ointment and anti fungal powder the keep the area dry. I have a nice ass and my legs rub together when I walk so that can keep the area moist. I have found the powder also really seems to help. 

If I’d had known what this was when it started and were only 3 I would have gone to the derm and have them scraped right away! 

I hope this helps others and if anyone else has any suggestions please post/respond

• Posted

Hi, how are you. I have molluscum acquired from my six year old who got it from a pool party and friend that was unaware of their condition. I actually have it in the same area you do. I know exactly what happened - towel sharing at the pool. Mine spread from my leg to the genital area. Did you try cryotherapy? What is Aldara? Have you tried duct tape? Looking for all help!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.