Mono

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am so fed up with this. i have lost 12 pounds in a month. and its not slacking up at this moment. I do not feel tired i feel weak. my head hurts. My body randomly hurts. It is started to affect my girlfriend. She just sat there and cried last night as i tried to sleep and burst into tears this morning. My muscles seem to be going away. I am trying to eat three times a day but i feel worse after i eat. I am getting dizzy easily. I shake i guess from

being weak. I freeze in my hands and feet. I mean honestly a doctor can not just tell someone you have mono there is nothing i can for you and leave someone to sit in their house and feel like this. My body is not made for this sitting inside and doing nothing. I just need something that makes me fee somewhat better to function. Maybe gain a pound back or be able to go walking or something. I have no idea what to do at this point but i know if i keep going downhill i will be in the hospital.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

we are all going through the same thing ... and there is no cure . you just have to try to get through each day best you can ...eat what you can and rest alot . at least you dont have the fatigue which is a major symptom that is so so difficult to deal with .

its an horrendous experience that takes ages to go away .

• Posted

Hi Josh,

Oh what a terrible time you've been going through by the sounds of it, I just really hope and pray that things stabilise and settle down soon, mono really is such a horrible virus and like Lori I do empathise. The first few weeks / months for me too were really awful too, I just felt terrible all the time and I really want to reassure you that this will pass Josh and BY FAR what you're going through right now is the worst and most intense phase of the virus and that things do and will improve. Even if recovery is not overnight and takes a little while to get fully there, don't panic because absolutely you will get over this and make a full recovery - I truly believe that Josh given my own horrible experience followed by recovery and reading recovery stories of many other people who went through a tough time but got back to full health again with a little time.

Just cope with a day at a time Josh, that's all you can do and just rest as much as you can and remind yourself that this is something that will pass and does get better and not to panic as your body eventually does get on top of this thing and kick it out for good. Definitely taking vitamins and herbs helped me a lot as mentioned in post on other thread, if want any of the things that helped me noted again just let me know.

The mental and emotional struggle is so hard when going through this and I just hope that your girlfriend and those close to you are being supportive and understanding at this tough time. I know it was only down to God that I was able to get through that hard time in my life and I believe you will get there too Josh. Thinking about you and I will say a prayer for you.

Craig

• Posted

Do you have any meal ideas to help gain some weight back. I am small as it is i did pretty good yesterday but then had trouble falling asleep then had a nightmare and couldnt go back to sleep i still got around 8 hours of sleep. I woke up feeling pretty nauseous but need to eat something either way. When i lay down to sleep it seems that is when my stomach decides it wants to hurt. Then i cant get comfortable because of it.

• Posted

do you have any cravings at all a pizza burger?

i found that during this i have absokutely no appetite at all and have been forcing healthy food down ... but if i have a craving i just go for it . could you maybe eat some mashed potatoes.. bananas mashed up ?

if you can make a healthy smoothie i find it easier to drink - almond milk avocado blueberries banana magoes chia seeds. can use frozen fruit . i make a few jars and drink throughout the day

• Posted

Hi Josh,

So sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with sleep and I hope so much that your sleep pattern can settle down and improve soon. It's amazing the number of people I've read on the site who find that this virus really interferes with their sleep and it's so frustrating because your body is so drained it really needs that sleep too.

Hoping so much your stomach issues settle down too Josh, I know that all sorts of aches and pains can come from this virus and remember having a lot of different pains in different parts of my body at different times, always wise for the doc to check spleen in the early stages of mono too as some people can get some bother / pain around that area too. But most of the pain is usually just glands and is normal for the virus (not that it makes it any easier) and does go away with time.

In terms of diet, I'm not really much of a nutrition expert to be honest but of course wise to just eat as healthy as possible during mono and to keep regular meals, even if not feeling like eating, I know it's not easy though. Sometimes adding some amino acids alongside taking some good vitamins and herbs can really help just boost up and bulk up your system and help with maintaining a healthy weight. I know it must be so frustrating and worrying when you lose weight so just hoping that everything stabilises Josh.

And remember you ARE going to get through this and get better - and that's coming from someone who really struggled and found it extremely tough to go through mono also, just hang in there and remember God is the great healer.

Craig

• Posted

Sounds like good advice about trying smoothies / juicing if finding it hard to eat meals or appetite struggling a bit through mono Lori - great advice.

Craig

• Posted

So yesterday i felt pretty good most of the day i ate a ton of food. I got dizzy foggy headed feeling for a while around 3-4 o'clock then ate again and felt better almost normal. For some reason mu temperature went from 97.5 to 98.7 and stayed that way until i went to bed. I finally fell asleep and woke up this morning with my stomach hurting again and used the bathroom and my temperature was back to 97.4. i managed to eat a good breakfast of 3 scrambled eggs blueberries apples kiwi and strawberries but my stomach around my sternum hurts and down close to my groin. I had a little hope with the temperature change but it just went right back. Anyone else seem to have those i feel good moments only to feel bad again.

• Posted

be careful of eating eggs ...i stopped as read they feed ebv/mono

• Posted

Hi Josh,

Definitely sounds healthy eating the strawberries and blueberries, these kind of superfoods they say can really help with the immune system. It definitely is a common thing with mono to have good moments and then feel worse again - that kind of zig-zag nature of it is classic mono and things will stabilise over time Josh. Yes as Lori says just watch with dairy products I think they say best to avoid those as much as possible although I know it's easier said than done.

Pain around the groin area is very common and normal with mono, as the groin is a main site of a lot of glands. I have some groin pain during the virus too, it's not nice for sure Josh but please be assured that this kind of thing can be normal and it will go away.

Hoping you are feeling much better again and the your sleep pattern can return to much more normality over the next while - hang in there Josh thinking about you still.

Craig

• Posted

Yes the roller coaster ride of up and down is how its gone for me . Sometimes its hours of feeling good to be followed by down times and sometimes its a few days of good times followed by bad times . You have to live one hour at a time with this virus and enjoy the good hours as much as possible . The strange Symptom will come and go you will never know whats next . Just try and not let your mind get the best of you......

• Posted

Yeah i am trying not to let my mind ply into this but knowing i was tired and feeling unwell before my few anxiety attacks also makes me want to look into other things that could be going on as well.

• Posted

Hi Josh, I'm going through very similar symptoms to you and also feeling extremely vulnerable and desperate.

I was diagnosed with Mono 7 months ago now and although at first it was horrible, I survived the first 5 months without too much trauma or the dreaded fatigue. Then I found out I was expecting and the virus reactivated with a vengeance!! I'm struggling to eat like you and have constant tummy pain and nausea. It keeps me awake half the night, along with constant pains in my leg muscles. I feel dizzy and Ill non stop and can hardly get up to do even the most simple of tasks without shaking, feeling breathless and needing to fall down again. And I totally get the freezing cold feet thing, all the time, ice cold, so cold that it's seriously uncomfortable and the only thing I can do to warm them is a hot water bottle or hairdryer!! I hate bedtime because sleep is so awful and broken, but at the same time all I can do is rest. I miss being outside so bad, I miss my life!!! I gave up with my GP months ago, the only help they are is to keep you up to date with blood results to tell you how things are going with the virus, but I wouldn't bother expecting help there, there is nothing they can do except try to ease symptoms with medication. 10 weeks pregnant and having this virus is one of the most traumatic things I've ever experienced. Wishing you all the very best! Martine. X

• Posted

I could not imagine doing this expecting a child. Everyone is so happy and excited and you do not have the energy to feel like they do. I really hope God sees fit to heal you soon so that you can enjoy your family and your expecting child. I was actually thinking about going to a different type of doctor that doesnt exactly like to use medicine but more of vitamins and minerals to strengthen your body. I have always been healthy so i do not understand this feeling of being sick. i am 28 and dont think i have ever had the flu or any other common illness maybe a cold or something every once in a while . Hopefully we will all get over this soon enough.

• Posted

Hi Josh, yeah, you pretty much nailed it, I'm so happy to be expecting, but just cannot enjoy it, there just isn't room in my head with all of the horrible suffering!

This virus doesn't seem to discriminate and doesn't care whether you are really fit and healthy or not, it doesn't really make any sense, but I've given up trying to figure out the "why me" thing.

I've also been trying supplements to boost the immune system. Vitamin d3, garlic capsules, vitamin C, Echinacea and black elderberry syrup. Honestly, I'm not sure if they are helping at all, but I keep going with them in the hope they are doing some good!

• Posted

gosh martine cannot imagine what you are going through being pregnant with this . its hard enough as it is ....im at month 10 going into month 11 . was ok too for the first 5 months just tired but the last 5 have been all the things you mention .... fatigue and just an overall dizzy ill feeling . the shakiness i had but does go away ... try and rest as much as possible eat right and take your vitamins. if you can manage a walk this may be good for you ...has worked for me .

you are so right it doesnt matter if you were already healthy which i thought i was ... it just appears and takes such a long time to go dormant .

• Posted

Hi Lori, god does it ever take a long time! all my friends and family just cannot believe how poorly I still am after all this time, especially since it has gotten worse and not better! I'm hoping to do a little swimming on my better days, hoping it will get the dopamine flowing and give me some respite from the muscle pain. The thought of this going on for many more months is very daunting! x

• Posted

yes i think that is the hardest part not knowing the timeline ? yes my mom wants me to go back to drs but theres no point .... they just dont get that theres no cure .

i have improved a bit with my walking and now seem to get one good day a week ... its not much but ill take it !

my mornings are just awful even after 10 hours sleep it takes me hours to get out of bed and get moving .

just dont push it with the swimming as you dont want a relapse . i can now do a 40 minute walk but i gradually built up to that over 5 months .

• Posted

if you go to an alternative dr try a naturopath . im on tons of vitamins and homeopathy... not sure if they are helping as i still feel terrible but im still going to take them .

• Posted

Yes, I am totally there, mornings are horrendous! I can't do anything till about 10am but can't sleep past 6am because the ill feeling wakes me. I get a few hours early afternoon where I feel just about able to catch up on housework bits, but even that takes a lot of determination! Then about 4pm I deteriorate again and can't move from the sofa.

You're right about the docs, they really can't do anything to help except offer drugs to ease symptoms, so I don't bother going anymore unless it's for blood tests to look at what the virus is doing.

Yeah I'll definitely take it easy on the exercise, not that I have much choice haha!

• Posted

yes thats exactly where im at ... i get a few hours between say 2-5 whereby i feel ok try to do a few errands close by only and thats about it .

i wake up early too but take a pill to go back to sleep. i just dont get this virus ..if i get 11 hours sleep feel more tired and wiped out !

• Posted

Hey Martine,

Totally empathising and agreeing with you and Lori that the mornings can be so hard when going through this virus, and all parts of the day can be very tough in their own ways to be honest. Just getting through a day with this thing is draining and can be a real struggle so just focussing on one day at a time is the best and only way and all I could do when going through it.

Really hoping so much that things settle down soon and definitely thinking about you and just hoping and praying that your body strengthens over the next few weeks ahead of your pregnancy - you will get through this and get better Martine, but having to deal with everything all at once like this I can only imagine how tough it must be but truly your body has great recovery powers and it will get to grips with this virus and reach the stage where it is on top of it and it can no longer harm you and you will feel much better then and God willing be able to enjoy being a happy and healthy mum.

Hang in there Martine, and just take care of yourself and get as much rest as you need right now and remember that better times are ahead.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.