Mono

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am so fed up with this. i have lost 12 pounds in a month. and its not slacking up at this moment. I do not feel tired i feel weak. my head hurts. My body randomly hurts. It is started to affect my girlfriend. She just sat there and cried last night as i tried to sleep and burst into tears this morning. My muscles seem to be going away. I am trying to eat three times a day but i feel worse after i eat. I am getting dizzy easily. I shake i guess from

being weak. I freeze in my hands and feet. I mean honestly a doctor can not just tell someone you have mono there is nothing i can for you and leave someone to sit in their house and feel like this. My body is not made for this sitting inside and doing nothing. I just need something that makes me fee somewhat better to function. Maybe gain a pound back or be able to go walking or something. I have no idea what to do at this point but i know if i keep going downhill i will be in the hospital.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Josh.

How long have you had mono? I'm on month 5 & although I'm not 100%, I am feeling much better than I was. The first 8 weeks were the worst for me & like you I lost weight & have only just started to regain it. I found bananas & lemon barley water settled my stomach so I started my day with that & would try to eat as little & often as I could. Gradually my appetite has returned, my energy has improved & the dizziness has subsided. I increased my intake of apples, fresh fruit juice, cereals, green veg & plenty of chicken. . I also drink hot water with fresh lemon every day & plenty of water. These things have worked up to now for me. I also find it unbelievable that there is no medical cure or vaccination for this.

Hope you start to recover soon. Things will get better.

Gill

• Posted

thats great that youre feeling better...im going into month 11 and its still really bad .

you are lucky that you have improvement and im so happy for you !

i too am doing everything possible and am determined to get better soon !

• Posted

thank you Lori, I am by no means 100% but a lot better than I was at the start of this horrendous journey. Still got a swollen neck gland that sends my health anxiety into over drive as I've had it for months. Also get fatigued more easily than I did but a lot better than a couple of months ago. Health anxiety is still a problem for me & even now on my bad days I question everything. I wasn't diagnosed straight away & had numerous blood tests, cancer marker tests, scans etc. The constant waiting for results has scarred me & I know it is going to take time for me to process this mentally.

How old are you Lori if you don't mind me asking? 11 months must be torture, I genuinely feel for you. This virus really is unbelievable & I think some immune systems put up a good fight. I am sure you are doing all of the right things & I hope you feel better very soon x

• Posted

yes i stopped going to drs and the last visit i just had a blood test to see where the virus was at ...that was a few months ago but sadly nothing much had changed .

im 52 but got this before at 41.. i did not have the fatigue or mono that time just a very strange feeling and mental weirdness that lasted a pretty long time .

the older you are im sure the longer it takes. im trying to be healthy but i am still having a glass of wine at night just to relax. its horrendous.

• Posted

Hi Gill,

Really hoping that things can stay stable for you at the moment and improve more and more as time goes on, you've been through so much by the sounds of it and it's only understandable that you would be very anxious about your health and having to go through tests and waiting and the mental strain of all that is so draining and awful to go through - I have been through that too and it's just the worst Gill so wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and I'm still fully believing you are going to make a full recovery. After 5 months I had seen some improvement but it was very very slow and gradual and was still quite down and unwell and really took me a few more months to start to really feel like I was on the road to full and complete recovery - and you will get there too Gill so even if it's not immediate or overnight, don't panic because full recovery will come and your body resilience and strength does amazingly come back again as time goes on - that was my experience even though and I was in a similar position to you after 5 months by the sounds of it.

Hang in there Gill, remember this thing just takes time and your body will recover, it is normal for mono to still not be feeling yourself at this stage and by no means does that mean that anything else is at hand, it almost certainly is just the mono and nothing else and it really DOES get better with time - so hard to be patient though and live through each day with this I know so just look after yourself each day and listen to your body, rest when you need to, remember that this is the worst stage this initial 6 months or so and things do and will get better beyond that.

Craig

• Posted

I am not really sure of how log i have had mono. I have been tired a long time probably 6 months i would say. Could be from being to active of mono who knows but i recently December 21 got really sick and was diagnosed with mono two weeks ago other than that i do not know when it started. I do know i am not as tired as i was but most other symtoms still there. Mostly nausea and foggy brain i am starting to wonder like the rest of you maybe lyme disease has had an effect in this with me deer hunting and being in the woods an awful lot. I do ot jnow the stats or frequency of lyme disease in alabama but i am going to try to check it out just to see. I have a girl to be engaged to a job to get back to with my friends at work and also need to spend more time with my friends away from work golfing bowling hunting. My life is not going to revolve around being sick for lonf periods of time. I love my girl and my family and we recently got a home and i will not not lose any of it from being week and broken down. No matter i would say my tiredness has went away some headaches have lessened my stomach still hurts which may be another issues i do feel kind of foggy blurry vision not that i cant see but it seems hard to focus so i am on beating that at the moment. Walked for 10 minutes with no issues now sitting in the sun with my shirt off relaxing feeling the wind on me as the sun warms me i feel a little more settled than usual like God just wanted me to chill out and relax. I have a new outlook today and maybe that will totally renew my spirit and help my body fight. In 28 years nothing has defeated me or stopped me because my mind has always had that extra gear that would not let me quit and i lost it for a little while feeling so down. Today will be my start day of feeling better medical professional, medicine , treatment , or mind set. Something will end this soon.

• Posted

thank you Craig. I'll be honest I am not in a great place at the moment. I am waiting on a date for an ultrasound on my neck gland. The gland doesnt seem to be in a place that normally swells with mono I believe (its on the side of my neck towards the back, I think its a posterior cervical gland). This is sending my mind into overdrive & whilst I am trying to be logical, I am very worried this is something else. I cannot really enjoy anything whilst this is going on.

How are you doing? Hope all is well with you & thank you for reaching out

Gill x

• Posted

I am sure a glass of wine wont do any harm Lori, especially if it relaxes you. I'm struggling to find ways to calm down, still wake up panicking. I've been drinking herbal teas which do send me to sleep but I wake up most nights with anxiety & struggle to get back to sleep.

• Posted

great to hear you're feeling positive Josh & I hope you continue to feel like that. I had stomach issues too for a couple of weeks. I think a lot of it was due to anxiety & not eating much and then when I started to eat again my stomach had to get used to it.

• Posted

I have lost 10 -12 pounds i can not stop eating. I just have ti force it down and swallow it but it seems like my stomach hurts worse in the morning or when i lay down at night to try to go to sleep. I would not call it diarrhea but its just really soft stool and its been like that for two months probably. Who knows i did a stool test monday and they still have not called me about it. It seems like my doctor is more of brushing stuff off and saying i will eventually heal up rather than try to help. Nothing against her she is a good doctor around where i live and a good person to me but still that attitude of there is not anything we can do for you does not help things at all.

• Posted

yes that was happening to me and dr told me if i do wake up take anti anxiety pill and i do which sends me back to sleep

• Posted

I have taken more pills and medicine in the past month than i probably have my other 28 years of life. I took one anxiety pill and it made me dizzy drunk feeling and flushed them down the toilet. Not for me. lol

• Posted

Hi Gill,

I really hope that you don't have to wait too long for your ultrasound and that it can put your mind at rest. I remember also being worried when I had mine too and just hoping and praying it showed nothing to worry about, which thanks to God it did. Remember Gill it is highly likely that these issues with the glands in your neck is being caused by the mono only and nothing else - it can be a very very common thing during mono (that is in no way to belittle it because it is a horrible thing to go through) and I very much hope that the ultrasound can come soon because I do empathise with the worry and mental strain of waiting and your mind being in overdrive, it is the worst thing in the world Gill so just hang in there and in the tough moments just keep telling yourself this is okay and you are okay - you are going to get well again and be so much stronger for having gone through this experience I truly believe that.

Thinking of you and do keep in touch let us know how things are going and of course message any time, including any tough moments or times when feeling down or overwhelmed. I am doing okay Gill still having some ups and downs of my own with some pain issues that also panic and worry me at times but God has been helping me and steadying me and grateful for that.

Craig x

• Posted

Hey Josh / Lori,

I really do empathise with not feeling that your doctor is as helpful or supportive as they could be - I was told like a lot of people are by the doctor's 'medical text book' that glandular fever lasts 6-8 weeks and then things will be fine again. But in reality it took me much longer and the emotional and mental struggles as well as the physical fatigue and symptoms was just so much to cope with, and when you feel like you're not getting support from doctors it can feel so isolating and discouraging.

I am really hoping that you can have a much better period ahead as I know things have been so tough for you both lately. Josh I definitely hope that your appetite for food can pick up again, even just trying to find some healthy type food that you find easier or even soup or smoothies or things that are easier to take rather than forcing lots of food you are finding difficult to take. I know it must be so hard though - but you will get through this and get well again, hang in there.

Thinking about you both Lori and Josh and hoping and praying for breakthrough and healing from God.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig, I ended up paying for a private scan today as the NHS wait time was 6 weeks away & my mental health was suffering. The good news is the node is benign & according to the doctor it may stay like this but it's nothing to worry about. I cannot describe how relieved I am. I just want to say thank you for your reassurance in what has been a very dark time for me.

Sorry to hear you are having some pain issues Craig, please know that myself & the good people of this forum are here for you as much as you are for them if you want to talk.

Gill x

• Posted

Hi Gill,

You absolutely did the right thing paying for a private scan, I have done this many times with back and other things too just because the waiting on NHS is just agonising and I am exactly the same Gill, just want to look after my mental health and not have to go through such a long period of waiting and worry, so I really understand. I know these things are VERY expensive when done privately, but if it can really put your mind at ease and help you feel much better it is worth it, although I know not everyone has the luxury of being able to afford these things of course. You can't put a price on your health that is for sure, your health is your wealth!

So pleased to hear that the node was benign and it is nothing to worry about - that really is great news Gill. It sounds very similar to the news I had when I had ultrasound on my neck gland too when it was bothering me with mono - and definitely want to reassure that it DOES settle down with time as you recovery from this horrible virus. I still felt odd twinges in the gland when I was starting to feel better and when a bit run down or with a cold or whatever, but generally it will not God-willing bother you in the long run and you will get over this - it is (unfortunately) a very normal symptom of mono and it does get better truly it does, frustrating and horrible as it is when going through it I know.

I have been having a better week so far Gill, feeling a bit more settled with things, have some decisions to make over work options the next few weeks and trying some part-time hours with something and I just hope and pray I can be well enough to do that - sometimes I worry I won't be able to cope if my back or other issues bother me, just praying for God's help with this. and that I can take steps forward with everything.

Hoping this can be the start of a real breakthrough and better period ahead for you!! Thinking about you still and keep in touch - still believing in your FULL recovery with a bit of time!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.