Mono need help

Posted , 34 users are following.

Hi so In June I woke up one morning feeling very weak. I thought I needed to eat something but when I ate breakfast I still felt weird. I ended up having my first panic attack. My entire summer was filled with ER visits for weakness, low energy, fatigue, dizziness, off balance feeling, and generally feeling unwell. It turns out I have mono (diagnosed a week ago). I don't know what to do. Just looking for others' stories and well and recovery process. It's my 3rd month and I just feel so helpless. ?? Thanks guys ! Blessing to all 

2 likes, 733 replies

733 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Christy!

you present with all the same symptoms as me and many others on this forum

im 40 and got this dec2016 so I'm about 10/11 months in now. And thankfully I am doing loads better, not normal but really improving.

it takes such a long time, progress is slow, eat as healthy as you can and rest lots, do what your body says, do very little and then rest when you have to, otherwise you feel worse and it takes longer.

i have been really tired, exhausted, achey etc. It's hard for people to understand if they haven't had it before, which is why I find this forum helps as you realise you are NOT alone and people DO understand!!!

i take vitamins and probiotics (anything to help my immune system) 

take care, I also avoid alcohol.

caroline xxx

• Posted

Thank you for that !! I know I'll get better but sometimes when you're going through it it feels like you'll never get through it. Thanks for the tips and encouraging words !! smile 

• Posted

Hi Christy, sorry you have this virus. It takes a while for most to recover with each person having various recovery times.

I'm 13 months in but not fully recovered. Most symptoms have faded away but fatigue and muscle pains still occurs most days. Day before yesterday was my first day with no muscle pain! Praise God! It was a whole day of feeling perfectly normal. Yesterday and this morning I can feel the virus but am so much better than a month ago and greatly better than the first 10 months.

Keep faith. God will see you through!

It is a process for most of us so rest, don't give in to thinking you will never be better.

There is much good will and encouragement on this forum! You are not alone!

Prayers, Rhonda

• Posted

Hang in there Christy....you will get through this and things will get better. Do your best not to worry and just be kind to yourself if you can at this difficult time.

Craig

• Posted

Hey Craig, thank you for the positive vibes. Taking your advice, and I'm trying to educate myself while still remaining calm and hopeful haha lol smile 

• Posted

Hey Christy,

Oh I know how tough it is to try to stay positive when things are going against you....sometimes you just reach that low ebb and it feels hard to say any kind of way out. Just focus on the present and let's just take each day one at a time is all we can do.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Rhonda,

​I remember my first day without muscle pain, such a strange feeling of relief.

• Posted

Christy,

I am a 60 year old woman who was diagnosed in July with mono.  Woke up in June with achy chills and extreme fatigue, after several visits to doctor & ER was diagnosed through blood test.  Everyone is different, hit my appetite.  I had to force myself to eat or had this weir feeling in my stomach and would wake up in the middle of night.  I drink ensure and a healthy diet, also take multivitamin, liquid B-12 under the tongue (found at Walgreens), vitamin C 500 2 x's day.  I also started walking slow pace, one block at first and now I'm up to 2 blocks.  I'm starting to have more good days, than bad.  You're not alone, just take one day at a time! Ginger 

• Posted

Ginger I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Thanks , I am taking b12 along with other vitamins. I'm glad to hear you're doing a little betters many blessings keep in touch !! smile also thanks for the tips. I'm going to try walking

• Posted

Hi ginger I know it's days late but I wanted to reply to something you said that I didn't address in my first reply.  Sometimes I too get this weird feeling in my stomach and I wake up in the middle of the night feeling very strange (maybe from hunger ) . But yea I just had to say I know the feeling definitely. Do you still have that feeling ? Did it go away a bit ?

• Posted

Hi Christy,

?This is what happened to me late last October, I am now 11 months in and feeling better, I still have down days and days of malaise, Rest as much as possible.  I have been lucky enough to work from home. If you are working ask the doctor if you can take some time off, it helps. This virus is a real challenge and you will recover even if it doesn't feel that way right now.

• Posted

Hii. I'm still in school , and fortunately my school has been very understanding. However I'm about 3 months in a while I do have my good days I wonder if I'll ever really recover. But thanks for the advice it's very appreciated smile 

I have a question though. Besides from the fatigue , did anyone on here just feel weak ? Like I know there's the normal tiredness that comes with mono but sometimes I feel soo weak. Like almost boardline pass out feeling sad 

• Posted

Hi Christy,

?Yes, I felt very weak, that is what brought me to the ER last October, my daughter also has this and weakness is one big symptom from both of us, almost as if your legs want to give out, this has become better with time. I know it's scary to feel that weak.

• Posted

Oh okay. Whenever I research monos symptoms I always read about the fatigue. While yes, the fatigue can be unbearable no one really talks about the weakness you get. I thought I was going crazy lol. Sorry you and your daughter had to experience that but at least I know it will pass. Thanks so much ! 
    • Posted

Christy I had weakness, shaking, dizziness, my legs would not hold me up at times. My hands would shake. This virus is vicious! All of that has faded awaysmile

Your symptoms will fade away too. It is something we have to deal with one day at a time. Please don't judge what any day will be like on any other day's feelings.

This too will passsmile

Rhonda

• Posted

Thank you Rhonda, I feel more at ease now knowing it isn't just me. I read that people with mono would sleep all day because they were fatigued. And I was just like "how can I sleep all day , I feel so weak, im scared to close my eyes" if that makes sense lol. But I'm looking forward to it passing like how it passed for you. Thanks again smile 

• Posted

Hi Christy,

​Three months in is still early, one thing that most people on this board have found is that most sites say it lasts four to six weeks, not true for most people. Rest is probably the most important thing.

​What did your doctor say? 

• Posted

She didn't say much. She just told me that I had mono (about a week ago), and that was the reason I felt so awful (I had so much blood work done and they couldn't find anything for about two months). I was relieved when she told me I had mono. But then she told me that it was a virus and there was nothing she could do for me. So I went home and have been doing my own research ever since 

• Posted

That sounds like my experience, I think a lot of us have researched, that's what brought me to this site. I am very thankful for all the support and encouragement of everyone here.

• Posted

It also took about 8 weeks for it to kick in properly for me. Then it took me to bed
    • Posted

Hi Christy,

You said it took you 2 months of blood work before they found anything. I am currently in the same boat... I asked my doctor to test for EBV and my monospot is negative and only one out of 3 EBV panels is positive (current or last infection). 

Did your blood just not show mono or were they not looking for the right things? 

• Posted

Hi Vancity,

I actually never had a mono test. But I was told that all four of the panels on my Epstein Barr blood work came back positive. I know how hard not knowing can be hang in there !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.