Mono Symptoms

Posted , 10 users are following.

So I have been reading a lot of the threads here and they have been very helpful in making me feel like this is just mono but I'm still worried theres more. My journey so far... 11/20 I began developing a sore throat and extra tiredness that night. I had gone out the night before so i figured it was due to that. The next day it still hurt and I was still tired. I figured I was getting a cold. I started taking Emergen-C and upping some health foods to combat the "cold" however not much more developed after that besides the sore throat and tiredness. I went to the doctor on 11/23 as I was going out of town for a week and if something else was going on I wanted to know now. They tested for strep and mono both were negative. Sent off saying its a virus that would go away. Packing was really tough that day for my trip but got it done. Took off on my trip and for the most part felt alright. Late in the evening I would get so tired I felt I was going to pass out bur during the day I felt alright mostly. I even continued running and doing my workouts. I did get a little more sore than usual. now during this time I didn't experience a fever or anything. I did have some slightly swollen glands but nothing extreme. 10 days before my symptoms began I was very foolish and had a moment of bad decisions so immediately my brain started going to thinking I had some std. When I returned from my trip I went back to the doctor the next day. 21 days after my moment of bad judgement and 11 days after sore throat and tiredness began. At this point my throat was better and not many other symptoms besides beginning to feel sore and some muscle leg cramps. I also started having some mild night sweats which of course made me panic and scared to sleep. The doctors tested for all STD and redid a heterophile antibody test because they said it could take a while to show positive. Well this time it did come up positive. So they said I had mono. Thay threw me off guard because of the incubation period. Aside from the incident on 11/9 I had not kissed anyone before then and I'm a bit of a germaphobe so I don't share drinks and food and such. I panicked thinking this positive meant something else because of course if you google false mono positive you learn that other things like leukemia and acute HIV can cause it. All STD came back negative although I also googled and it says 3 weeks isnt enough to be conclusive on HIV and due to similarity in symptoms panic sets in. especially when I didn't feel I experienced the traditional mono symptoms. The doctor said i should be over the worst part but things just started developing after this. I've read that acute HIV symptoms develop at the same time and mono seems to be different in that regard. So since diagnosis I began to have more sore muscles and that seems to be increasing in the past few weeks. I get burning feelings in my joints, particularly my elbows. I still have on and off night sweats and some are worse than others. This is all weird to me because I don't have fever and I check my temperature a lot. I also used to always get cold at night and now I'm warmer usually. I don't know if I'm sweating because of my blanket but the house heat is lower than usual too. I'm sorry this is so long but I'm going crazy I feel like. I've also had a couple instances of diarrhea like once or twice a week, not regularly although my stomach has been more sensitive and noisy than usual. I'm now headed into the 6th week since symptoms started and the muscle and joint pain seem to be staying or getting worse. I do get tired but it's not terrible fatigue. I have also had white tongue but doc doesn't think it's thrush. My acne is flaring up and my skin has always been pretty good. I'm going through some mild dry scalp dandruff. Everything you read online gives classic mono symptoms that should clear up in 2-4 weeks so why am I still feeling like this is my question. I took an OraQuik HIV test last week (6 weeks after bad decision) and it was negative. Some reassurance but I know not conclusive still. I didn't get CBC or other EBV bloodwork. Is that necessary? Only thing is I had my physical about a month before I got sick and then it showed slight anemia, slightly low wbc, and slightly elevated liver enzymes. I thought the lover and anemia could line up with possible mono incubation? Still baffled at how I got it and worried it is something else. Is all this normal? should my muscles, bones, and joints feel so sore? Is it ok I never got a fever? Should I be getting night sweats? I'm going crazy over here. I will be going to test for HIV again to clear my head but as of now it's on my mind and with the non classic mono stuff I have a hard time believing it's just mono. Is it just mono? Thanks everyone if you read this far and for your answers and help. By the way I have tried running still and I feel mostly ok during but then tired and sore and I can sleep a lot although I don't always when I used to not sleep so much. I do feel a little more energy on days I take vit c supp though I haven't tried more than that or a multi. Also I've tried coconut oil for my white tongue. God bless you all.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I also forgot to mention that I have had some nausea starting about a week before I got sick and then through out the last few weeks. It did limit my eating and I lost some weight. I got worried and stopped watching what I ate and just ate to ensure I wasn't losing too much weight but although I eat and I eat bad I haven't gained any weight when normally that would make me gain weight.

• Posted

sounds like mono. I am 4 months in and my joints hurt still. I still have white soots in throat as well.

• Posted

I never got the white spots in my throat. This is why I worry because some the symptoms are so "typical" of what you read on Google. And the muscle pain is really concerning me now. Every morning i hurt a lot and throughout the day but more so in the morning. Has it been like this for you all the way through or did it start later?

• Posted

My throat was also not my most prevalent symptom, while muscle pain was. I tested for HIV as well, which came back negative.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. It helps to ease my mind through this worry. Online sites do not share what this seems to really be like.

• Posted

They do not, indeed. From my experience, EBV/mono can have many forms with many different symptoms, which also differ from person to person. I also worried that it might be something else, but I noticed that this elevated stress also had an impact on my healing process.

The chance is big that it is EBV, try not to worry too much, but go to your GP if you really don't trust it anymore. Hope you'll recover soon!

• Posted

I will be going back to the doc's because of course I'm still worried but it is some relief to hear other's stories and experiences. This has been the most stressful thing I have gone through and just want to have resolution and not go through it again.

How long ago were you sick? How long were you sick for? What were all your main symptoms?

I am trying to stay relaxed and not stressed through this so I can heal better and quicker but it's hard!

Thank you for your replies!

• Posted

im in month 21. i still rest alot most of the day actually and still get some bad days . but nothing like the first 15 months which was HELL ... i was seriously suicidal !!!

i still dont go out at night to dinner etc otherwise i relapse. and just being with other people is too much sometimes.

i am able to do gentle workouts a walk and light weights now .

i was stable sept oct but with thanksgiving at a friends and a night out to dinner . i relapsed . they dont last as long but still awful .

i would say keep up with blood tests the virus has now attacked my thyroid and my liver and my blood tests were perfect when i first got ebv .now i have to deal with that .... it is such a powerful virus . the most scariest thing ive ever been through .

• Posted

You should, even if it's just to get some reassurance from your GP. It's for me also one of the most stressful things I have to go through in regard to my health.

Right now, I've been sick for almost 8 months, and I'm not healed yet. I currently have a relapse, but it's not as bad as it used to be. My main symptoms are: general malaise/flu like feeling, muscle aches, muscle twitches, blurry vision and floaters, nausea, headache, and when waking up feeling like I've been hit by a truck every morning.

Around 6/7 months in, I began feeling a little better and didn't need painkillers everyday anymore; although I have a relapse now and take painkillers again, need more rest and can't do a lot. But, it's less intense than it was.

• Posted

My initial glandular fever screen was negative & the repeat test confirmed it was mono. Apparently if the test is done too early this happens & it's pretty common.

Your symptoms sound typical of mono. Like you I was baffled how I caught this until I realised I'd had a bit of my friend's drink a month earlier. My doctor told me you can catch it very easily.

The fact you feel better than you did is a positive sign.

Take care,

Gill

• Posted

That's what the doctor told me about it being too early so after 10 days of symptoms (7 days after first test) we retested and it was positive. I am feeling better in some ways but the muscle pain is worse and the night sweats aren't better. Those two symptoms are what worry me most. All I've read is that it isn't that easy to catch. Not Knowing I was sick I shared food with my son several times ans luckily he didn't seem to get sick but that makes me worry too if it is mono and if it is so easy then why didn't he catch it. I really don't share food or drinks at all beside with him and that's also why I am so baffled.

• Posted

I got mono in oct 2018 & had night sweats until Dec 2018 so think this can drag on. Aside from the night sweats I didnt have any fever either.

I was also worried about giving it to my son but he didn't catch it or if he did, he didnt show any symptoms. I have read that a high % of the population get the virus but only some present with symptoms.

Its a hard time for sure & your mind plays over time. I went to my doctors multiple times as I was worried. Over time you will feel better but it can be a zig zag recovery.

• Posted

That is a while for the night sweats. They aren't every night for me and they aren't drenching but they have been most nights now for a few weeks.

It's so hard because there is such conflicting information online about this. I also read many children don't have symptoms or if they do it's like a cold. I don't know what age they define as children and mine did have a cold a few weeks before I got sick so I don't know if that was it.

This is such a confusing and stressful illness and the timing of it for me has made it worse. Thank you for sharing your experience as that offers reassurance and added knowledge that is real vs what so many medical sites say. They don't mention all these symptoms and they say it should be gone within a couple weeks and that's obviously not the case so it makes one panic and stress which I think makes the virus worse.

I hope you have recovered well!

• Posted

I completely understand, the wide range of symptoms cause stress & it is terrible. My GP told me 4 weeks to recover but I later learned that is just for the acute symptoms. It dragged on for months after that but my GP said that was post viral fatigue. I learned so much from this forum & during stressful times when I'd over think it helped me more than anything.

I swore when I was better I'd return & give people reassurance so I come on here now & then.

It's been 14 months since I got mono & I'm fully recovered & have been for a while. The first 6 months were hard & recovery is gradual. After 6 months I was back to normal but had occasional set backs with severe tiredness & sore glands.

Hope this helps & feel free to ask any questions.

• Posted

Hi, I've just created my own post above but was wondering how long were you off work for? My acute symptoms started 6 weeks ago and I know it's different for everyone but I just want to understand others experiences.

Thanks in advance!

• Posted

Hi, I was off work for a month but I went back in way too soon & I also work from home 3 days a week. If I was working in an office 5 days a week or doing manual work there is no way I'd have managed to return so quickly. I think I'd have needed around 3-4 months off if that was the case.

• Posted

How have you been feeling now? Still dealing with acute symptoms?

I took a couple days off work only. At rhe beginning it seemed my symptoms were more mild. I work in an office at a computer all day so I think that was more tolerable although getting through the second half of my day was hard and by the time I got home I was done. I don't think I could have done manual labor at all.

Luckily right now because of the holidays my office has been closed this past week so I can rest more. I have been sleeping a lot now though and am worried about getting back to work in a couple days.

• Posted

Hi Gill,

There is no way I could have gone back after a month but I work in an office 5 days a week and also conduct 1 week training courses throughout the year with me as the trainer. That coupled with a one hour commute in each direction (8 miles each way by bike) is what finally sent me over the edge. You're very lucky to have the WFH option, sadly my company can't do that. They are being very supportive though which is good.

I hope you are well and continuing to get well as time goes on.

Wishing you a bright and healthy 2020!

• Posted

Hi Justmehere,

My acute phase is definitely over; I'm able to eat well again, get dressed and not rely on pain killers.

My main issues are the tingling all over, severe fatigue and hip pain leaving me walking like an old lady (not someone who in her commute cycles 80 miles a week, enjoys exercise classes, tough mudder type obstacle races, tennis lessons, recently took up rock climbing and for holidays enjoys things like the Inca Trail!).

I really don't think I could manage a full working day yet but luckily have discovered I have the option of a temporary relocation to a closer office and reduced hours which will help when the time comes.

I hope to keep a positive mind set on this, accept I have it; I find the whole thing absurd and find it incredulous I have such a debilitating virus but hey ho, I need to deal the hand that has been dealt.

I've found lots of positive stories sifting through here so will keep them as my focus.

Wishing you better health for 2020 and let's hope we all kick this things butt (and have a good old rest!)

• Posted

It is so great of you to be here offering support to those of us dealing with this now. I sure appreciate the information and sharing your experience with us. While this seems to affect everyone a little different there are many similarities and the different stories offer extra reassurance that this isn't a clear cut, cookie cutter type of illness. Since so much of what you read online describes a typical set of symptoms and timing but it's not the full reality. I am glad to hear you are doing well now! I look forward to healing and being around too so I can offer support as well. These forums are what has kept my anxiety from going through the roof right now. I am so glad to have found them.

• Posted

I hope you get better soon too! I am glad to hear your acute symptoms have eased. It's great your work has been understanding and works with you. I completely understand the being active part. I am supposed to be training for a marathon but haven't been able to run much in weeks. Sometimes I feel better and I do a couple miles but then I pay for it so I have tended to not even bother or try. That only adds to the stress.

I think you are so bright and correct in keeping a positive attitude. That is all we can do. I'm trying to stay on that track too plus not think about it too much either. I'm tired of focusing on it but it's hard.

Here's to a better and healing 2020 for us! God is with us regardless and we will heal.

• Posted

JustMe,

I would drop the idea of a marathon. You need to focus on resting. I was determined to run a half marathon 7 months after getting mono, but I am on month 8 and can still only run occasionally. In fact, I ran 3 miles today and had to stop. It is frustrating, but I know from this forum and friends who have had mono that it will take around a year to feel normal again.

• Posted

yes i ran for 5 months with ebv and mono as i didnt know what i had . i felt tired and dizzy but fine once i got blood moving and endorphins going . plus i was kind of addicted to my workouts and my amazing fit body.

had i been diagnosed and RESTED i may be over this now . so REST !!!!!

• Posted

Hi Ellie,

Glad your company are being supportive. I'd have certainly had longer off work if I wasn't able to work from home.

Thanks for your kind words, I am fully recovered now & I am proof you can get over this awful virus. Key things are rest, good hydration & a positive outlook.

Wishing you all the best for the new year with full recovery ahead!

• Posted

Exactly, I believe there are different strains of this virus & immune systems also react differently. Doctors don't know a lot about it & so these forums really help.

I wish you all the best for the new year, here's to you fully recovered very soon!

• Posted

I understand! I ran for the first few weeks through this as the pain and fatigue didn't really hit me. Then once I got past the sore throat I developed the muscle pains and tiredness. That's also when I began having more of the night sweats. This is what worried me that I was now feeling worse than the first couple weeks. I wonder if it's because I ran through the beginning of it that made it worse now. I didn't know until almost 2 weeks in what I bad but still did run a little more after that but haven't done much of anything of the last couple weeks now. I'm almost through week 6 of this and hoping to start feeling better soon. I miss working out and feeling better. I hope you can heal well soon too. I can't imagine going through this for so long. I have read about how it can attack other organs and systems of your body. I know it will pass eventually! I'll be praying for you. Thank you for sharing of your experiences.

• Posted

Where were your muscle pains located? Did they happen daily?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.