Mono Symptoms

Posted , 10 users are following.

So I have been reading a lot of the threads here and they have been very helpful in making me feel like this is just mono but I'm still worried theres more. My journey so far... 11/20 I began developing a sore throat and extra tiredness that night. I had gone out the night before so i figured it was due to that. The next day it still hurt and I was still tired. I figured I was getting a cold. I started taking Emergen-C and upping some health foods to combat the "cold" however not much more developed after that besides the sore throat and tiredness. I went to the doctor on 11/23 as I was going out of town for a week and if something else was going on I wanted to know now. They tested for strep and mono both were negative. Sent off saying its a virus that would go away. Packing was really tough that day for my trip but got it done. Took off on my trip and for the most part felt alright. Late in the evening I would get so tired I felt I was going to pass out bur during the day I felt alright mostly. I even continued running and doing my workouts. I did get a little more sore than usual. now during this time I didn't experience a fever or anything. I did have some slightly swollen glands but nothing extreme. 10 days before my symptoms began I was very foolish and had a moment of bad decisions so immediately my brain started going to thinking I had some std. When I returned from my trip I went back to the doctor the next day. 21 days after my moment of bad judgement and 11 days after sore throat and tiredness began. At this point my throat was better and not many other symptoms besides beginning to feel sore and some muscle leg cramps. I also started having some mild night sweats which of course made me panic and scared to sleep. The doctors tested for all STD and redid a heterophile antibody test because they said it could take a while to show positive. Well this time it did come up positive. So they said I had mono. Thay threw me off guard because of the incubation period. Aside from the incident on 11/9 I had not kissed anyone before then and I'm a bit of a germaphobe so I don't share drinks and food and such. I panicked thinking this positive meant something else because of course if you google false mono positive you learn that other things like leukemia and acute HIV can cause it. All STD came back negative although I also googled and it says 3 weeks isnt enough to be conclusive on HIV and due to similarity in symptoms panic sets in. especially when I didn't feel I experienced the traditional mono symptoms. The doctor said i should be over the worst part but things just started developing after this. I've read that acute HIV symptoms develop at the same time and mono seems to be different in that regard. So since diagnosis I began to have more sore muscles and that seems to be increasing in the past few weeks. I get burning feelings in my joints, particularly my elbows. I still have on and off night sweats and some are worse than others. This is all weird to me because I don't have fever and I check my temperature a lot. I also used to always get cold at night and now I'm warmer usually. I don't know if I'm sweating because of my blanket but the house heat is lower than usual too. I'm sorry this is so long but I'm going crazy I feel like. I've also had a couple instances of diarrhea like once or twice a week, not regularly although my stomach has been more sensitive and noisy than usual. I'm now headed into the 6th week since symptoms started and the muscle and joint pain seem to be staying or getting worse. I do get tired but it's not terrible fatigue. I have also had white tongue but doc doesn't think it's thrush. My acne is flaring up and my skin has always been pretty good. I'm going through some mild dry scalp dandruff. Everything you read online gives classic mono symptoms that should clear up in 2-4 weeks so why am I still feeling like this is my question. I took an OraQuik HIV test last week (6 weeks after bad decision) and it was negative. Some reassurance but I know not conclusive still. I didn't get CBC or other EBV bloodwork. Is that necessary? Only thing is I had my physical about a month before I got sick and then it showed slight anemia, slightly low wbc, and slightly elevated liver enzymes. I thought the lover and anemia could line up with possible mono incubation? Still baffled at how I got it and worried it is something else. Is all this normal? should my muscles, bones, and joints feel so sore? Is it ok I never got a fever? Should I be getting night sweats? I'm going crazy over here. I will be going to test for HIV again to clear my head but as of now it's on my mind and with the non classic mono stuff I have a hard time believing it's just mono. Is it just mono? Thanks everyone if you read this far and for your answers and help. By the way I have tried running still and I feel mostly ok during but then tired and sore and I can sleep a lot although I don't always when I used to not sleep so much. I do feel a little more energy on days I take vit c supp though I haven't tried more than that or a multi. Also I've tried coconut oil for my white tongue. God bless you all.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

you may not have caught it from anybody you may just have The Epstein Barr Virus ? i have had it twice first time no mono but still very bad mentally 2-3 years to recover . 2nd time with mono insanity ! horrendous ! nightmare !

im in month 21 its affected my thyroid and my liver so yes it can harm your body in other ways .

im screwed right now and never in my life did i think id end up like this.

the first time i got it i looked online and it said 95% of people have EBV so just ignored it and thought my mental illness was from a bad accident ptsd from getting runover 10 months earlier .

now i realize it was epstein barr .

• Posted

Sorry to hear it's been so hard and for so long for you. I was also puzzled when I learned that most adults are already infected yet I just developed it. Still websites say when it reactivates it doesn't cause symptoms. However reading many forums I see people have different experience from it.

My anxiety is on edge and my stress levels are high. Half the time I don't know if it's the Mono or something else or just my stress and anxiety causing symptoms such as my upset stomach and headaches.

I do hope you can find some relief soon. It sounds like a hard thing to be dealing with for so long.

Thank you for your response and input. What all symptoms have you had? Has it been consistent or does it change?

• Posted

omg first dizziness fatigue ... went to er said i was fine . So so tired but unable to sleep ... watching clock waiting all day for nighttime .anxiety depression unable to relax ... vomiting

lower back pain burn marks appearing out of nowhere . rashes . MASSIVE weight gain although NO appetite.

its been complete HELL mentally and physically .

• Posted

I have had tingling in hands, swollen throat and uvula, joint and muscle pain, indigestion, stomach pain, headache, extreme fatigue. I actually feel like everything has come in waves and then repeats of the waves. I have even had bloody stool and have upper and lower endoscopies scheduled. I hope you start feeling better very soon.

• Posted

That sounds terrible. I've been reading so much about this and you have to dig deep but you will find some interesting information beyond the average sites. Apparently EBV feeds off stress which is crazy because it causes it too. It seems like a vicious cycle. There are also different strains of the virus that cause different symptoms which makes sense like any virus it mutates and changes just like the flu virus. I really don't think the medical world is paying much attention to this and it adds more stress to us since we don't know or understand.

I do hope you start to feel better soon! I don't want to think I will be dealing with all that and for so long. Praying for you.

• Posted

So much of what I read says mono doesn't cause stomach issues which added worry to me. However it seems it does and why wouldn't it? It makes sense.

I understand the waves thing. It seems to come and go although some things stay. But I seem to get some symptoms then they go away and I get different ones and so on. Sometimes some of the same ones are mixed with new ones in the next wave. Lately the muscle pain and night sweating has been more consistent.

Thank you and I hope you start to feel better too! I hope your endoscopy goes well. I had one last year due to my GERD. I don't know if my GERD is making this worse either now or if it's all on my head at this point.

• Posted

hey justmehere,

how is your stomach and headaches? Wondering if it has gotten any better. this past week out of nowhere i have really bad headaches 24/7 and now today i have extremely bad nausea. almost 5 months in and things seem to be getting worse for me!

• Posted

Hi Eric,

I didn't gave headaches too much through this. My stomach issues come and go. Sometimes I'm good, other times I'm nauseous, then there are times I'm either feeling starving though i shouldn't be or not hungry at all although I should be. I keep getting recurring sore throats though still that come and go for a day or two. I hope you get to feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.