Mononucleosis (Glandular Fever) a second time

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm a 31 y/o male who had Glandular Fever 4 years ago. Two months ago I had normal cold symptoms, then 4 weeks ago I had a terrible sore throat, looked in the mirror and noticed my left tonsil was large.

Went to the doctor and they said it was either tonsillitis or glandular fever, so I did a blood test and it came up "low positive" for glandular fever.

Results were:

Epstein-Barr virus (VCA) igG POSITIVE

Epstein-Barr virus (VCA) IgM Low Positive

EBV Nuclear Antigen (EBNA) POSITIVE

"Previous results noted. Consistent with past exposure to Epstein Barr virus"

I'm now 5 1/2 weeks into this, extreme fatigue where I want to sleep all the time and cannot concentrate at all at work. My sore throat seems to get worse some days and better others. I notice that I get light headed / dizzy at times I guess this is due to the fatigue. I also notice for the last 2 months the ringing in my ears has increased significantly where I can hear it all the time (before only when it was completely silent).

I saw my local doctor a few days ago and she looked at my tonsils and said while the left one is still large she can't see pus (so it isn't bacterial). I don't have a headache or a fever.

Guess I have a few questions:

1) I didn't know it was possible to get glandular fever a second time, I thought the body built up immunity against it.

2) Any idea how much longer I will need to deal with these symptoms? It's getting very difficult with my job and the extreme fatigue.

Thanks.

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Anthony,

this Is a bit worrying for me.......I've had gf for about 10 months, although I am getting better, it's super slow. And so up and down, this has put a little fear in me that this is the SECOND time?!? You've had it.

how long did you have it before? And was it bad??? The thought of,going through all this again is something I just can't think about, I didn't want to think you could even get it again, like you I thought you could never get it again 😁

Well, I hope it's not as bad or as long suffering for you.

• Posted

Hi 40with.gf,

Yes this is the second time. Before I had it for a few months (4 years ago). Apparently it is possible to get it again as there are a lot of viruses which exhibit similar characteristics.

This time it isn't as 'intense' as the last time but the fatigue is the hardest part. Although this time i haven't really rested (not able to) as I need to work (can't take time off).

Thanks for your wishes, I also hope it goes away soon i'm so over it.

• Posted

Hi Anthony, that's a relief. I suppose it's like picking up a cold every now and then, different strains?! . But if I know I'll never have to endure this again as intense that's good. 

I bet you are so over it, I am sick to death of it! 

10months for me, having more better days but still wiped out and fatigued. I can't wait to be me again, can't come quick enough.

keep us posted with your health this time, like when it's gone.

can you remember how long it lasted the first time????

caroline x

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

It lasted about 3-4 months the first time. But the first time I remember I felt like death, stuck in bed for weeks with muscle pain, fever, fatigue and not eating.

This time it's completely different I only had one day where I had fever, pain, and felt sick as such. I took ibuprofen and it went away. I think my body must have kicked in it's defenses.

At the moment I'm more of a functioning zombie if that makes sense.

Anthony.

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

So sorry to hear that you've having to go through the symptoms of glandular fever again, it's so difficult to deal with and really empathising as someone who had a hard time with it when I went through it.

About two years after I had it and had generally fully recovered, I developed some symptoms and had a blood test which showed postive for EBV again. It made me worry so much thinking that I had to go through it all again, but in actual fact it was a much quicker recovery, within weeks, and only really a bit of a relapse. That might be what's happening with you, because if you were infected with EBV four years ago, then it's already in your system and might just be a kind of 'relapse', which I really hope and pray will ease soon for you.

Just want you to know I'm thinking about you and remind you that you will get better from this, and a second positive test is nowhere near as bad as the first one, because your body already has the tools to fight it - and it will fight it much quicker Anthony and you will get back to full health again - I truly believe that. Just take things one day at a time when going through it and hang in there - taking some good vitamins / herbs can be helpful too - a good strong multi-vitamin is always good, B complex for energy, Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) and an immune boosting herb like siberian ginseng is great.

Take care

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig, 

What were your symptoms the second time? Were they as bad as your first? 

• Posted

Hi Shawna,

The second time I tested postive, I had more or less the same kind of symptoms as the first time, maybe with a bit less intensity. But the key was that it wasn't anywhere near as bad or last anywhere near as long. Just hoping that can be the case for others on here who have EBV levels high for a second time. You're going to get better Shawna, I still truly and fully believe that - hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you Craig. Praying that you're finding relief with your back pain. 

Prayers for you 🙏🏼

• Posted

Thank so much Shawna, that means a lot really does, praying for this trial of yours to end too and the glandular fever to be banished for good.

You're so right about the virus feeding off stress and anxiety, and then the illness and symptoms cause you to feel stressed and it gets into that vicious circle kind of thing. Let's just keep trying to stand strong today, things will get better!

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig, you are right the second time its not as intense per se. Reason I say that is i'm still able to work but I do get fatigued very quickly. The first time i had it i was bed ridden for 3 weeks.

I do also think stress is a huge contributor. I have been extremely stressed the last few months and I think it has affected my immune system considerably. And to add to the fact I can't take time off work getting better has been a slow process...

• Posted

That's a good sign Anthony that things aren't quite as intense, which I know isn't always saying much because the intensity is still pretty bad and debilitating, it's just first time round it can be so hard hitting and crushing.

You will most definitely I believe make a much quicker recovery this time, if you're not able to take time off work just rest up when you can and do your best to avoid stress which is so hard I know!

Thinking about you, Caroline, Shawna and Jennifer today and rooting for your recovery still.

Craig

• Posted

Hi all,

Now 6 weeks into this, fatigue seems to be getting slightly better (not as tired). However i've noticed my eye balls are blood shot (red).

Does anyone notice this as well? Is it due to the fatigue?

I'm also finding it hard to sleep at night, i'm sleeping between 6 - 7 hours but i'm finding the sleep is mostly broken.

• Posted

I'm now 7 1/2 weeks in and I must say I am starting to feel a bit better. Whist I still have the ringing in my ears, my sore throat is starting to subside. I'm also noticing my fatigue is not as bad (getting better). Still not 100% but I have noticed an improvement.

• Posted

Hi Anthony, 

thats great that you are feeling a bit better, still take it easy. I found that all through out my 'getting better' i would describe it as a roller coaster going up and down. But now my bad days aren't as bad and my good days last longer. 

Every time I felt down it hit me so hard, I'd just turn straight round and trot back to bed. 

Lets hope you don't suffer as long, I know how horrible it is.

caroline

• Posted

Hey Anthony,

That's really good to hear you're starting to feel a bit better - great news. Just take things slowly though, because sometimes it can be a process over a period of time with some ups and downs the recovery, just continue to manage your activity as you recover and don't jump back into 100mph lifestyle - that can really set you back.

It's great to hear you are doing better also Caroline..I'm so pleased about that I know you've had such a hard time with the virus....thinking about you both today.

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig i'm definitely not out of the woodwork yet. While I have a bit more energy I am still tired.

• Posted

Thank Caroline. I agree, i'm definitely not 100% but on my road to being there I think, as you know, very very slow process.

• Posted

That's normal Anthony for sure....the tiredness and fatigue will gradually fade away though and you will get your old energy levels back....sometimes you never think it will happen but it definitely will and your body resilience will return without any doubt whatsoever!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.