Mononucleosis (Glandular Fever) a second time

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm a 31 y/o male who had Glandular Fever 4 years ago. Two months ago I had normal cold symptoms, then 4 weeks ago I had a terrible sore throat, looked in the mirror and noticed my left tonsil was large.

Went to the doctor and they said it was either tonsillitis or glandular fever, so I did a blood test and it came up "low positive" for glandular fever.

Results were:

Epstein-Barr virus (VCA) igG POSITIVE

Epstein-Barr virus (VCA) IgM Low Positive

EBV Nuclear Antigen (EBNA) POSITIVE

"Previous results noted. Consistent with past exposure to Epstein Barr virus"

I'm now 5 1/2 weeks into this, extreme fatigue where I want to sleep all the time and cannot concentrate at all at work. My sore throat seems to get worse some days and better others. I notice that I get light headed / dizzy at times I guess this is due to the fatigue. I also notice for the last 2 months the ringing in my ears has increased significantly where I can hear it all the time (before only when it was completely silent).

I saw my local doctor a few days ago and she looked at my tonsils and said while the left one is still large she can't see pus (so it isn't bacterial). I don't have a headache or a fever.

Guess I have a few questions:

1) I didn't know it was possible to get glandular fever a second time, I thought the body built up immunity against it.

2) Any idea how much longer I will need to deal with these symptoms? It's getting very difficult with my job and the extreme fatigue.

Thanks.

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Anthony

I too am on the second round of GF. I first had it in 2005 and test results have revealed I have it again 😣

I have had alot of stress over the last 4 months so I am guessing my immune system is down hence the reactivation?? This is the only thing I can think of and after reading other posts its a possibility.

My symptoms have been swollen glands, fatigue and depression. I am really hoping it passes quicker this time round. I am making sure to rest and be kind to myself, however I am over it totally.

Best of luck, I am sure by now you are feeling abit better. Cheers.

• Posted

So sorry to hear you're suffering with this for a second time Jazz, I just really hope that the reactivtation is a small one and remember it can never be as bad as the first time because your body has the antibodies now and is more equipped to cope - so in theory the longevity should be much less and hoping it is more of a relapse than anything else.

Just hoping everything settles down and thinking of you - I do believe you're going to get better and this won't be nearly as bad as first time, even though it might not seem like that when going through it all right now.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig

Thanks for your kind words. I am positive most of the time, I tend to have negative thoughts when GF stops me from doing what I normally enjoy ie Sports etc.

I still don't understand how it can reoccur.... alot if the websites I have looked at say that its highly unlikely you would get it again, although it lays dormant in your blood.

On an upwards I guess and thank you again.

Cheers

Jane

• Posted

hi Jane,

I think it could be a slightly different strain, like getting a cold? 

• Posted

Hi Jane,

It's so easy and understandable to be feeling and thinking negative when going through such a hard time, if only it were so easy to stop thinking that way. I have been the same at the moment due to tough time with my back, just been feeling down and struggling for hope at times.

I do believe things will get better for you Jane and Caroline, hang in there and there is still hope today and hoping as Caroline says this is a less inhiting virus that will pass over much more quickly and without any ongoing issues. Just need to take things a day at a time at the moment.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig.

Sorry to hear of your back issues. I hope you get some relief soon.

Thank you for your kind words and best wishes to you.

Lets hope 2018 is brighter for us both.

Cheers Jane

• Posted

Thanks so much Jane, I really appreciate your kind words. Yes hoping and praying that 2018 is a brighter year for everyone on the site here, I believe it will be!

Craig

• Posted

Hey Anthony,

I’m sorry I don’t have any advice as my GP told me when I was diagnosed that you couldn’t get it twice.

I had GF in the summer of 2015 and I still struggle with swollen glands a lot, had flair ups of tonsils and generally shattered and weak etc. 

I seem to be low in ferritin too and am currently undergoing tests for this... me sure if it’s connected to Because I had GF or not.  I just wanted to say that I’m sure you won’t be the only one out there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.