Mood 😓

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi guys it's been a while since I've been on here x just needed to take a break for a while x

so I've been on my current dose of citalopram for 12 weeks now. my anxiety has lessened a little. I am able to not panic as much and some of the physical symptoms have eased of a fair bit.

from about 8 weeks my mood really dropped. the depression is really bad. I notice it it gets better a bit in the evenings and when it's dark outside. it seems to be on sunny days my depression is a lot worse.

it's been over a month of the depression now I thought I would wait for it to go and ride through it but it's not getting any better at all. I feel like I've suffered enough with feeling this low and I'm at a loss of what to do now.

I don't know if I should carry on and see if it goes but that's horrible thinking I would have to deal with feeling this low for any longer. it if it's too early to increase. ive been trying to get better for a year now and i really have had enough and don't want to feel like this anymore.

would it be wise to increase to 40mg like I have done in the past? or am I just gonna make myself even worse. thanks guys x

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi, sorry to read you're still struggling. Remind me what dose you're on at the moment? When you took 40mg before, did it completely alleviate your symptoms? I've just upped to 40mg and I'm also on Mirtazipine. Struggling with side effects at the moment in terms of anxiety and worry I'm not going to get better and no effect on my depression at just over 2 weeks but I've had success with 40mg before.

• Posted

hey x thank you for replying x I'm on 30mg for just over 12 weeks now x

I was on 40mg for 12 weeks and a big blip but stupidly listened to my doctor who said I should have settled by then and changed to sertraline which really didn't suit me well at all so came back to citalopram.

I had a blip but was a lot better than I am now on 30mg x

sounds like you are still struggling too bless you. how long have you been on everything altogether before going onto 40mg?

• Posted

I've been taking citalopram for years and years. I've never been offered 30mg, it's always been 20mg and then upped to 40mg if I get worse. However, 40mg in the past I think has caused hypomania where my mood is too high.

Do you think you will go back to docs for the 40mg dose? It's all so hard isn't? I ended up diagnosing myself as having Cyclothymia before getting it confirmed by a psychiatrist. The doctor had never heard of it.

• Posted

how long do you normally stay on the 40mg for when you do increase x is it ok to ask how many times you've gone up to 40mg x

clyclotymis is a mild form of bi polar isnt it? probably wrong x lol

I think I'm gonna have to wait a few more weeks and see before I increase again x as if it doesn't pass that will be my next option I think x I dont know what to do tbh. I just want to get back to being happy and a lot less anxiety x

• Posted

Hi, yes you're right, cyclothymia is a mild form of bipolar and I've been struggling with it all of my adult life. I usually take the 40mg dose for at least a year but last time the doctor wanted me off them due to the hypomania and wanted me to try another mood stabiliser. I know what you mean about wanting to get back to yourself again. I feel like I've forgotten what it's like to be happy and anxiety free. I keep 'hanging in there' as everyone tells me to but I'm still struggling.

• Edited

I feel you x it's so hard to keep struggling through each day praying that today will be more bearable than the last and hope to see some improvements so atleast you know you are on the right track x

if 40mg gives you hypo mania have you tried 30mg to see if that works aswell without making you too high if that makes sense x

I'm sorry you're struggling bless you

• Posted

bless you p, can i ask when was the last time you had blood tests?

• Posted

I've had quite a lot of blood tests over the past 6 months x last one was about 2 months ago and everything came back fine x

• Posted

did you ask for vitamin d? i asked for that and the doc was saying im testing you for diabetes over and over anyway i got my way and got tested for everything including vit d, all fine except vit d, looking forward to my appointment thursday, wonder if she will admit she was wrong haha x

• Posted

I do have low vitimin d so will ring the doc on monday and get some prescribed x not sure how that effects things though?

hahaha make sure you get an apology lol x

• Posted

Hi Potato!

I have had low vitamin d last year...it gave me more tiredness, dizziness, low mood and more anxiety.

I dont know were you live but a lot of people can get low or border line with vitamins. Lab results all have different standars so, I think you can buy some vitamin d (d3 especially) , magnesium and good omega 3 and take it for a while . You can take 1000mg of d3 to start every day.

All those will just help.

Try to avoid refine food, sugary, etc.

sometimes, liquid iron such as floradix can be also helpful.

But it seems from what I read that every time you reach the 12 weeks mark , that you can some sort of a blip.

Maybe, you should push a little more and try the vitamins for few weeks and see after that if you really need an increase.

• Posted

I've got an appointment next week so am gonna bring it up then. apparently I've had a bit d deficiency for a while but the docs didn't bother to tell me 🙄

• Posted

thanks lolita that sounds like a good idea to try the vitamins first before doing an increase x how long did it take you to notice they were having a positive effect after you started taking them if that's ok to ask ? 😊

just really struggling lately and need a break from it all tbh x

• Posted

You can see effects from 2 to to several weeks.

If you take them every day, maybe count 2 weeks for some and more for others.

Maybe you can check on google.

Remember not to take iron 2 hours before or after take a medication and not with any calcium or diary. Vitamin c helps the absorption of iron.

Sometimes, we are low in vitamins even if its in the lab range results. And also, not having a good daily diet can impact on the vitamins.

• Posted

citalopram apparently strips us of vitamin d, all my other tests were perfect, and like i said i had to ask for the vitamin d one as the one they usually do is useless x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.