More dry mouth....

Posted , 11 users are following.

Back to extremely dry mouth and throat again....how I hate this horrible symptom. Whenever I get a new one, I always think it's worse than the one before! This time, it's accompanied by darker coloured urine, probably because I'm not drinking enough, burping, burning mouth, acid reflux symptoms. Can anyone relate?

At least I can eat again - the indigestion seems to have subsided...wonder what's next....

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Have you tried going gluten free? Maybe worth a try.
    • Posted

Yes, I have and it did help with stomach/IBS issues. The burning mouth and throat thing could be a peri issue and not related to acid reflux at all. You can drive yourself nuts trying to figure it all out!
  • Posted

Totally agree, trying to improve my IBS a bit more atm. I'm sure the stress and anxiety peri brings does not help either. I'm just not keen on PPIs as stomach acid is so important for nutrient absorption and protecting the stomach from bacteria and bugs. We make less as we get older anyhow so the PPIs really don't seem logical for lots of us. Wishing you a good day.
    • Posted

I do agree with you about PPIs - I took them for a little while then stopped as I wasn't convinced they were helping. I got so desperate recently though I decided to give them anther try. I do wonder how much of this is stress related too. The whole thing is just one vicious circle! I am just sucking a menthol cough candy which is giving me a lititle relief so maybe I might get a little sleep. I live in Canada so it's 12:30 am. Sleepless nights just add to the fun! Hope you have a great day. Are you in the UK?
    • Posted

Hi margotb

I think you are right this is all a vicious circle.  I started experiencing shocking anxiety, crappy digestive issues/reflux and apparently IBS and many more joyful symptoms just over 1 year ago, been in peri for probs 7 or 8 years and then then nightmare began October last year, exactly 1 month after my last normal period.  I have tried many supplements to try to help myself but my tummy hasnt liked any of them and it seemed I was making myself sicker by taking supplements and I cant do hrt.   For about 10 months I went through hell, as many of us do.  

I firmly believe that the hormones set off the anxiety/stress, which in turn made my stomach problems so much worse and on top of that what I was taking to help myself.  This is a wild ride and I really dont think too many people understand what some of us actually go through.  

Thankfully over the last 3 months, (I am now nearly 5 months period free, again) I have found that I am inproving in leaps and bounds, I am eating food that I havent been able to eat in over 1 year, I am still intolerant to some food.  The anxiety/stress has just about gone, can still have little blips but it is controlable.  The 102 other symptoms still come and go but not as severe.  I have been working on trying to control the anxiety and stress but didnt think I was that good to get rid of it that quick, lol..So I like to believe that early July was the last (kind of period) and my hormones are slowly settling down and I am approaching post meno but I guess time will tell and anything is possible with hormones.

I have been cooking chicken bone broth and drinking 1 a mug a day, supposed to help with stomach problems and has other helpful properties, there is lots of info on google about it.  I do think that this is helping as I have recently slowly intoduced onion again and that was a big no no.  If you are interested it is worth a read.

I hope that all your probs settle down and start going very soon...

Hugs Jo Xx

• Posted

Yes I'm in the Uk, hope you got some sleep. My mouth is not too bad today. I keep meaning to keep a record of if it is worse at certain times of my cycle.
    • Posted

Thanks for your response Jo! It's definitely a wild ride. I'm about where you're at right now - 5 months since my last period. I'd actually got up to 10 months at one point and then had to start counting all over again. I wasn't impressed!

I think I've had just about all the 102 symptoms you refer to also, but this acid reflux, dry mouth/throat thing has to be the worst, although my husband reminds me of the neck pain I endured for about four months a few years back. Yes, that was bad too!

Today, the acid reflux and dryness is slightly better - I'm really trying hard to remember to sip on water all day - sounds pathetic I know, but it's so easy to forget sometimes. I too had horrible digestive issues a month or so ago, but that seems to have settled down. Sometimes I think that just trying to calm yourself down, rather than confuse yourself trying to find the magic potion that makes everything better might be a better approach (as evidenced by the cupboard full of stuff I've taken once or twice!) I do like B vitamins and calcium + vitamin D though. Also, I eat chia seeds quite a bit and did go gluten free (well almost gluten free) and I do think that has helped.

Hope you're having a good day!

Hugs Margot xxx

• Posted

Hi margotb

i too had acid relux abit in my peri .. I am post meno now, and no acid reflux.

i also got to 6 months no periods and then had another one..

Then that was it had no more ..

i found six months of the 12 months no period phase ( then post meno) 

the most anxious and emotional time for me ..

use to feel very anxious about anything, and feelings of doom, use to cry at the drop of a hat, take silly things to heart that normally would not bother me,.  thats when i started my 150mg daily B6 and all got better..

i am now 16 months post meno ( no hrt) and feel great ..age 50..

i had a ten year natural peri .. Take vits and supps ...

still have a few sleep issues but think i have got use to that now

jay xx

• Posted

Thanks Jay! I can totally relate - I do think I'm struggling much more with everything at the moment - definitely from an emotional point of view. I do worry and obsess about absolutely everything! I turn 55 next month. After about 8 or 9 years of this, I'm ready for a little peace and tranquility!

Margot xxx

• Posted

Hi Margot

yes i understand.. I had  ten years of it..

the worst part emotionally for me was the final stint ..

do take your B6 every morning .. It so does help ..

soon be over .. I feel fine .. 😊

i just use some ovestin estriol ovules vaginally occassionly for dryness .. And ovestin cream for the outer bits occasionally ..

( recommnded by my gyno)

And premeno duo ovules ( non hormonal ) from stress no more uk site and all is dandy now 

big hugs 

jay xx

• Posted

Info for other ladies re Vit B and peri and menopause ..

look for 100mg B6 as less is no good.. Or a complex like Mega B 100 time release from holland and barret or busy B from holland and barret, these both contain 100mg of  B6 ..

B12 very good for energy boost look at a high mcg

For a woman going through perimenopause/post menopause, B-vitamins can be essential for effectively managing symptoms.   

Adrenal fatigue, for example, is a common secondary condition for many women going through perimenopause.

B-vitamins support healthy adrenal function, along with calming and maintaining a healthy nervous system. Many women also suffer with mood swings during perimenopause.

Both B12 and B6 vitamins aid in the production of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, a key brain chemical needed to stabilize moods and promote feelings of wellness and contentment.

For women who suffer with brain fog, and memory issues in perimenopause, low levels of B6 could be part of the problem.

Depression, confusion, and an inability to concentrate are all associated with B6 deficiency. Vertigo, dizziness, and heart palpitations are also common complaints from women going through perimenopause.

All of these symptoms have been associated with (among other things) a B12 deficiency.

Vitamin B6 can also help with stubborn weight gain in perimenopause. It is key in the breakdown and utilization of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in our diet, and is necessary for a healthy metabolism - both which can help manage weight.

• Posted

Hi again margot,

poor you getting to 10 months, I got to 7 months and I certainly wasnt impressed, lets hope we go all the way this time smile.

The acid reflux was the worse for me for about 6 months, that is not too bad now, though still can have little hiccups.   The dry mouth just comes and goes, I dont like that as I feel the need to swallow and theres nothing there and I just about choke myself.  Lol I forget as well, mainly cause all I drank was water for 9 months and now that I can have other drinks I dont want water..Lol your cupboard sounds like mine was, 100's and 100's of dollars of miracle cures and I couldnt take any cause they all gave me horrid reflux and gas.  I went gluten free last year as I was told I was gluten/wheat intolerant, I dont think I was as I can eat it all now, have found though since eating bread and little cakes here and there that I do get bloated which I didnt before, so dont eat much of them.

We will all get to the other side of this sooner or later and think the key is like you say, to try and keep calm and not let our minds lead us to the bad thoughts when any of the symptoms pop up...

Hope you have a great day

Hugs Jo xxx

• Posted

YES, YES, YES!  Extreme dry mouth and sweating - turns out it was acid reflux but due to perimenopause. I just turned 50 and this is NO fun!!!! I had no idea it was hormonal.  Had an endoscopy and doctor says it is similiar to women when they are pregnant as a lot of them get acid reflux during pregnancy. I have heard things do improve once you get through menopause. I would also recommend to anyone have their hormones checked - so you can take whatever you may needing.  At least I know I am not alone!!!!!  And to think some women fly through menopause - ha!
    • Posted

I don't know how some women end up flying through menopause unscathed while the rest of us have to muddle through it like this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.