More on tapering

Posted , 10 users are following.

at my last post i explained how I'd been rushed down to 4.5mg by rheumatologist and went back to 6mg 3 weeks ago. I'm still getting pain in both thighs (hamstring) although no stiffness and next to shoulder pain (which was a big feature before i started pred last xmas). in terms of another increase I'm beginning to think this will be unavoidable. before i ask my GP I'd be interested in what others have done when having to increase in terms of how far to go back up. As i say I'm not getting stiffness yet just pain in both thighs - so it remains bearable just.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i meant next to No shoulder pain, my as only mildly ache if i over do it.

• Posted

The expert rheumatologist recommendation when a flare happens is first to return to the previous dose that worked. If that has been left too late and too much inflammation has built up too far, then to add 5mg to the dose at which the flare occurred until the symptoms resolve. If this happens within a week to 10 days it is perfectly OK to return to the lower dose that worked previously immediately. After 2 weeks a slightly slower return to a lower dose is likely to be required. Under the circumstances, you may well find that going to 10mg for a few days may work and then you can try returning to 6mg.

• Posted

So the thigh pains continue, both sides, much worse when sitting for long periods, usually rear of thighs but sometimes inner thighs. sometimes it feels like sciatica sometimes its a burning sensation, sometimes joint pain. Not much stiffness, which i assume is the effect of pred. GP agreed to a raise to 8mg pred and review again after Xmas. She still thinks PMR and does not think its worth going back to Rheumatologist at this point. But do these symptoms resonate with others while tapering, esp. the absence of stiffness? How long does it usually take for an increase in pred to work? She also said stress can make symptoms and even cause flares (recently lost my father). I am

slightly worried that the symptoms i have now are not the same as my what i had when first diagnosed a year ago, which was severe disabling stiffness and pain in shoulders and hips/thighs.

• Posted

My PMR symptoms do vary with flares - as they are likely to if you have been on enough pred to remove the inflammation that causes particular effects. Thigh pain that increases with sitting COULD be due to bursitis - it is burning and can go into the groin and hip joint.

Stress certainly does make things worse - I can vouch for that after the last week!!!

• Posted

Enough pred will usually resolve the PMR symptoms quite quickly, a day or two, in my experience. I have found that with a flare I do need to take the recommended extra 5 mg for a couple of days and then drop quickly by a mg every two or three days until close to where I flared. Taking too little just prolongs the adventure and in the end you take more pred than if you'd just bitten the bullet at the beginning. Have tried both methods. 😉

• Posted

thanks both, its so useful to be able to share on this site esp. as its so hard to discuss with Doctors when you need to even if they know what to say. Its only because the pain is so mild that i haven't gone up the full 5mg already. I will if i need to. have a good christmas

• Posted

I was diagnosed with PMR, pain in neck, shoulders, sides and upper arms. I was almost unable to move. They gave me prednosone, and took it away, completely, 9 days later. The pains were gone. I have continued with "Tart Cherries" and Tylenol. The pains have not yet come back.

• Posted

Are you saying you aren't taking pred any longer? If so, how long did you take it?

• Posted

I took it for about two weeks, starting at 40mg and last 3 days was 5mg. When I ran out, my Dr.s refused to give me more, so I had to find a way to control the pain.

• Posted

Either it isn't the PMR we talk about - or your doctors are totally off this planet!!!!! They diagnosed PMR but won't manage it the way the text books and medical literature say?

Think you need a better doctor!

• Posted

I have had two Dr.s tell me the same thing. The first was the ER Dr. and the next was my VA Dr. They both said the prednosone is so dangerous because I am diabetic. The ER Dr. is the one who put me on the 9 days, ending with 5mg. After that, both the ER and VA Dr.s refused to give me more! In my case, it is OK because taking Tart Cherries and Tylenol, the pain is almost non existent. Tart Cherries have effects similar to Naproxen, without side effects!

• Posted

It does sound that you possibly may not have PMR. Neither Naproxen nor Tylenol really help PMR and sour cherries definitely do not take away the pain of PMR completely, although they do taste nice.

• Posted

They are over-egging the pudding. There are many diabetics on pred - it is harder to manage BS levels but cutting carbs also helps a lot to prevent it becoming too serious a problem. However, since you seem to be managing it is less of a problem. Unless it does turn into GCA where pred will be necessary to avoid losing your sight - I wonder what they would suggest then?

• Posted

I am thinking you may not have PMR. I'm a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump and monitor my glucose 6-8 times daily. When I got PMR, there was not an option for me (due to the life changing severity) except to take Pred. I am down to 10 mg from 15 when I started last July. I am managing my levels with diet (keto) and exercise.

Don't let the docs leave you in pain with life style changes. I had to push back on my RA and this group has been a godsend.

Best wishes

• Posted

After an MRI in emergency, I was told by the Dr.s that I have PMR and degenerative disk disease!

• Posted

An MRI will NOT show whether you have PMR. Unfortunately - because if it did, then we wouldn't have a problem with misdiagnosis.

However - if you a pretty much pain-free, it doesn't matter does it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.