More on tapering

Posted , 10 users are following.

at my last post i explained how I'd been rushed down to 4.5mg by rheumatologist and went back to 6mg 3 weeks ago. I'm still getting pain in both thighs (hamstring) although no stiffness and next to shoulder pain (which was a big feature before i started pred last xmas). in terms of another increase I'm beginning to think this will be unavoidable. before i ask my GP I'd be interested in what others have done when having to increase in terms of how far to go back up. As i say I'm not getting stiffness yet just pain in both thighs - so it remains bearable just.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Based on the MRI scan, symptoms and physical manipulation. I have also read that if you are diagnosed with PMR and the pains go sway with prednosone, then you have PMR. The pains went away almost instantly!

• Posted

Unfortunately the response to pred is only another brick in the wall of diagnosis - other things that can cause PMR-type symptoms will also respond to pred, especially when doctors use too high doses at the start and for PMR a start of 40mg is too high. PMR typically shows some response to moderate doses of pred, 15-20mg, and the other things tend not to. But many thigs will improve in response to 40mg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.