MORE RESEARCH IS NEEDED POST GALLBLADDER REMOVAL

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been on this forum for a few years now and the problems AFTER gallbladder removal seem universal: doctors seem to have no idea what to advise on diet, the discomfort and pain experienced ..... why is there not more research into this problem, after all when you lose an organ from your body there are bound to be knock on effects, but they shrug their shoulders - in other words, they don't know and we're left with our constant discomfort. More research is needed.

3 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

MOONDAY.

here here, extremely well said.

sadly no ones listening of whom its targeted at !!!

why , because , they do not care , and they never will.

only we are listening, us who feel and indeed share your pain and anxiety daily.

and who are we, we are the ones left to rot away , literally !!!

however , well said, well voiced.

• Posted

Hr Mrsoscared ... thank you for you comments. Sadly what you're saying is true for lots of us who are minus a gb.

• Posted

Hi Moonday:. When i had my gallbladder removed i was given a lot of information from the day surgery nurse at the hospital in which i was in to have my surgery. The cramps we feel after the surgery is from our organs putting them back in place from when they surgeon used the special gas to inflate our abdomen, so he can see better with the micro camera they use for the surgery, that is if you have the Larascopic surgery. i was told i could anything except for to watch the greasy and fatty and acidy foods for awhile. Everyone is different though on how the body reacts in certain ways.

• Posted

Hi Iris .... Yes, I was told about greasy and fatty foods, but that was pre-op and also applied to maybe a couple of weeks afterwards, and of course recovery would take a few weeks, but they don't really have anything in the way of constructive information for those of us who experience pain and discomfort or even diet. For me, and many others, diarrhoea is an on-going issue even years after the op which was in 2015 .

• Posted

Hi Moonday:. Yes i still have the poops even after two years. It depends on the certain foods. The pain and discomfort will last up to six weeks. It will get better though. Mine is subsiding. But like i said it all depends on certain foods in which i eat.

• Posted

i completely agree. its been over a year for me gallbladder removal. everything was great then suddenly no appetite due to pains. bloated stomach no matter what goes in my system food water. just totally uncomfortable. test all normal going for gastric scan. i feel like they all reaching more needs to be done. instead just saying do this dont do that when u tell them you dont do that and do this just ignored. why because they dont no

• Posted

I think you hit the nail on the head dilari ..... they just don't know. Which of course is no good for those of us with issues. I replied to Barbara (below) ... maybe some of the things I said might resonate with you.

• Posted

i finally had gastric emptying test. after the small breakfast all my symptoms where there stomach bloated right up uncomfortable sensation in stomach. well test came back negative i was shocked. nurse pract. called and said just keep doing what im doing! boy i got angry i informed her i am doing nothing dont want to even eat .. i shouldnt be gaining weight i should be losing. my normal weight 118 now 127 just stomach. anyone have this issue or ideas? they also prescribed my med for reflux because i had very bad pains that has helped

• Posted

Moonday you are so right i was misdiagnosed for at least 3 months they thought i had been white water rafting and got some type of hepitities ! after all those months of agony in and out of hospital with raging high liver enzymes ! i felt i was dying .WELL I STILL DO !!! Now i am 4 months 2 weeks post op i havent got the runs ive got constipation i have a very good diet eat hardly any fat ive lost so much weight too its unreal .When i went for my post op after 6 weeks told him all this he couldnt have been less interested not a clue signed me off to my GP not a clue on diet at all either they are surgeons who just whip it out because its not working properly and making stones .Now i am sitting here once more wit a hit water bottle and cannot get to,see my GP until monday i did go back to my GP BUT HE WAS LEAVING and not really interested so have to start with another .And i also feel nauseated most days !!! so thats me my lifes been on hold now for 2 years because thats how long its been to sort me out waiting for NHS they are completly useless and over stressed theselves . i feel my family are so worried about me and i feel very sad for them ! ive tried digestive enzymes ! probiotics ! i think i may try now the cider apple tablets i will try anything to feel better .I WILL DO SOME MORE RESEARCH ON THE DANDELIONS ? THATS MY STORY ?

• Posted

Hi Barbara .... I had my gb out in 2015 and though I've recovered up to a point I still experience pains where my gb once was, I still have to take immodium EVERY day otherwise life would have to revolve around being not to far from a loo. Because of the pain my doctor sent me for a scan which showed "normal", so nothing more was done; however, the lady doing the scan said you wouldn't believe the amount of people with this issue who come back for a scan because they still experience a lot of pain.

I take New Nordic cider apple tablets 1000mg once a day (I buy them from Holland and Barrett). I take them because one of my blood results a while back showed my liver was struggling (I dont drink or smoke), and after a bit of research I found these tablets. I take one a day and my next blood results since then showed normal liver activity. I also take omeprazol for nausea.

We obviously need our gallbladder, though it doesn't appear to be life or death without it, but it does impact negatively on daily life for a great many of us.

• Posted

Hi moonday i am going to try dandelion tea or capsules not good on different tastes ! for the constipation ive reserched it and it may seem i am not making enough bile but like other people they make to much thats what causes the runs we are all different ! thank you for your input i will let you know how i get on .

• Posted

and i will also try the nordic apple cider vinegar too but try the dandelion capsules first i need to address the constipation . keep well .

• Posted

barbara.

same as that .

im now 2 years and 2 weeks post opp and my constipation is ongoing since then.

plus loads of other stuff not to mention the anxierty of well if its gone why this pretty constant sharp stabbing pain under right ribs , why have i 90 percent of the time got peanut butter coloured stools , why am i constantly constipated, yes i seem to be able to anything but thats the only plus.

and i agree they do not know whats going on and neither do they care.

their seems to be no answers, just wait for the big gates to open.

• Posted

Yes, best try new tablets one at a time or you won't know the effects, but I will be very interested to know if anything positive comes of it. Best wishes.

• Posted

Babara, have you tried ox bile? The reason you are feeling bloated is because you are constipated from eating very little fat, try adding some olive or coconut oil to your foods, just a tablespoon and see how that does. I suggest going to see a Gastro for a colonoscopy. Have you done that yet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.