Morning anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

I don't know if I'm being impatient but every night I go to bed I hope and try to positive think that the morning anxiety will go and I seem to be feeling worse! I know it's because I'm worried about it but when can I expect to slightly feel better? I've now been on an increase from 5 to 10 of escitalopram 7 days (I miscalculated it in an earlier post). Is it going to gradually go and why do I feel it's getting worse? I'd be thankful for any advice please.

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know what you are going through. In a small percentage escotalopram can cause severe morning anxiety and overall nervous stomache. I am feeling better already by transitioning into a new medication. Escotalopram is a head drug to get off of so I recommend talking to your doctor about a slow transition to a different drug. In my case I am trying Tribtellix but everyone is different. The only thing you can do now is make sure you don't sleep too much it makes it worse and I'll bet you start to feel better around 12noon. Best of luck.

• Posted

Thankyou, I'm hoping it will wear off when it properly kicks in, I think it was like this when I was on citalopram but couldn't settle on that and was told escitalopram is better for anxiety although it seems worse at the moment! And I know what you mean but I'm so tired with it too and it's just passed midday and I'm doing some chores now, and as day goes on I feel a bit better. Thanks for your reply

• Posted

I really do know what your feeling and it is horrible and you get tired feeling it. In some people, (not all) escotalopram can make your anxiety worse. That's why I suggest you mention this to your doctor. I did feel less depressed on the escotalopram but I couldn't take feeling anxious about every little thing. I also took mine in the morning. Just know that either way it's not you.

• Posted

Thankyou, mines only in the mornings and when I was on citalopram it did wear off so hoping it will on escitalopram, I know they say you can feel worse before you feel better so cross fingers! I'm fine by midday, strange!!!! Thanks for replying

• Posted

Hi Susan. This is normal hun. Remember back when you started on 5mg? Do you take your escitalopram in the morning (my doc said better if taken in morning-I do)? I do not think you are being impatient, you're just longing to get better - natural feeling. From my experience of escitalopram & ad's in general, I would give it 4-6wks on 10mg, & see if you feel further improvement. If you feel much worse or have bad thoughts you must see your gp immediately, but I hope & strongly feel from experience this is just your body adapting to the med. Take care Sue. Always here.....xxx

• Posted

Thankyou loo loo, yes I do take it in the morning, always have! I'm going on holiday in just over 3 weeks and am anxious it wouldn't have kicked in by then! I'm always ok by midday and feel myself so cross fingers it works soon! Thankyou so much x

• Posted

hi susan i know it's so annoying that morning anxiety.  because you are not on a high dose though (10mg is a nice normal dose, not classed as too high or anything), the morning anxiety will certainly go away, i will stake my reputation on it.  keep on going, it should go in a matter of days, if not, perhaps a week? it should certainly be gone by your holiday so dont worry.

keep us posted on how you are doing.  the morning anxiety will go, in no time at all ok, so keep going and try not to let it ruin your day (dont give it any attention by thinking about it. just accept that your body might feel a bit funny, but dont give it any more attention than that

• Posted

You are so spot on sparrow!!! I do think too much about it and know it's probably the meds but it's hard when you don't feel right!

Thanks for always answering, it's so helpful x

• Posted

Hi sparrow, just to let you know over the past two mornings my anxiety has gone (hope it lasts!) and I feel so much better and can function normally as think all other side effects have gone too so just want to say Thankyou for being so accurate, it certainly was very helpful. And take care x
    • Posted

hey that's good news, i dont expect the anxiety will come back as your body is now used to your current dose of 10mg.  if you increase your dose in the future, you might find the morning anxiety comes back for a little while, but once again just ride it out and it will go away again.  a reason why the morning anxiety might not ease for some people and just go on and on, is if they are on too high a dose, and therefore stressing their system (eg. they try to rush their recovery too quickly by starting on too high a dose, or increasing their dose too soon) -- but anyway, certainly in your case on the standard 10mg dose, that wont be an issue for you.

.... look forward to more improvements as time goes on,  and have a nice summer!  smile

• Posted

Thankyou for all your support Sparrow, you have a good summer too!!!
    • Posted

i have some sunburn at the moment but as soon as it goes away i will get back out there haha  cool

• Posted

It's been beautifully hot today! Can't wait for my holiday too ????

• Posted

Hi Sparrow, feel like crying today, woke up with anxiety again after two normal days, feel shaky, dizzy and tired, feel so disheartened! Thought I was ok now I just don't know as this seems to happen all the time! No triggers which is always the case and now I'm worrying about my holiday again! ??

• Posted

hi Susan, very sorry to hear you had a bad morning with anxiety. just looking back at your history is it correct you have been on the increased 10mg dose for about 10 days? that isn't a great deal of time with regards to getting used to your meds and the time it takes for them to work effectively. it would certainly be reasonable to assume that perhaps the 10mg escitalopram is starting to work (because you had a few good mornings) but you are still experiencing some anxiety due to needing to give the escitalopram a bit more time to build up and work more reliably.  so keep going through this week taking them as normal and then can reasses at the end of the week. try not to worry ok, i know it's easy to say that of course and we all know how bad anxiety is. you are on the right road of wanting to get better, and trying to get better, so you just need a little more time ok

• Posted

Thanks Sparrow and thanks will definately take a look at what you suggested!

It is hard not to worry as that's the illness, but will try! I just can't stand being so up and down, anyway thanks again ??

• Posted

I have had the same thing happen to me! Yesterday was a good day anxiety very low but today it has spiked again! Getting real tried of this! Only been on generic for Lexapro for 6 days but took it before for nine yrs 10 mil and was great! Getting discouraged! 
    • Posted

Hi Wilb, I've been on escitalopram 5mg for month then moved up to 10mg and its three weeks for me on the 10 and visited doctor today and he said to stick it out as it should kick in between 4-6 weeks! I know it's hard and every day feels like a week but I am taking baby steps but don't always think we are!

Try and write down any positives for the day and I reckon you will see the list gradually get longer as you don't always notice small improvements!

Try and not give up, you're not alone!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! I was on 10 mil of Lexapro for 9 yrs and worked great! Then sudden

y it stopped working for me! My GP started  me on Cymbalta which was not good then Prozac which was worse! Next we went to Zoloft 100 mil which was to strong! I connected with a psychiatrist on line who advised me to go back to Lexapro but increase the dosage which I now have to 20 Mil! I guess I am just so anxious for this to kick in so I can live a happy life once again!

• Posted

Yes I'm impatient too especially when you read how quickly it works for some people! But you're not alone, stay strong and good luck! I hope we both turn a corner soon

• Posted

Well Mrs, I can detect some improvement by the tone of your post!!! You sound just that wee bit stronger & positive. I sincerely hope this is the case Sue. Well done for sticking at it. kindest regards - looloo. xx

• Posted

Hi loo loo,

I've improved a bit but my mornings and days vary so much! Still feeling anxious and getting jitters in the morning which sometimes last well into the afternoon and other days don't! Went to Drs yesterday and he said to carry on with the 10mg so will see how I am when I come back from holiday as then it will be six weeks! I just want the jittery feeling to go as get jelly legs with it to! Thanks tho for asking

• Posted

I hope you have a good holiday Sue. You can always go up to 15mg going forward when you come back from hol if it's still not consistent after couple more weeks on 10mg - obviously in consult with your doc. Take care & try to have some fun on your hols.xxx

• Posted

Thankyou loo loo, can I just ask if you got a dizzy feeling in the mornings whilst your eyes are shut in the early days of starting on escitalopram and is it a side effect? Sorry to bother you 😊
    • Posted

I remember for a few weeks on each dose my pupils looked smaller (like when you've taken a sleeping pill) & I felt almost sedated for 2-3wks but I got used to each dose gradually. everybody is different though - may get used to them quicker or longer. Don't forget though Sue - you're also going through menopause aren't you? Common symptom of meno is dizzy spells when hormones fluctuate. I would also check with the pharmacist that none of your natural supplements interact with escitalopram as some can (may also say on the leaflet in pill box) I know st johns wort interacts with ad's. xxx

• Posted

Hi loo loo, I'm not taking anything else and yes I am going through menopause too! I've been really bad today so the doctors giving me lorezapram I think it's called to help me whilst the escitalopram gets in my system properly! I'm stressing so much about my holiday it's making me worse so hope this helps me

• Posted

I am on 20 mil of escitalopram and have the jitters! I am going to Cape Cod for two weeks something I always loved to do, but I am worried I will not enjoy it this time around! Hope things improve in a week! This sucks!
    • Posted

Hi Sue. Getting ready for a hol always makes me a mixture of excitement & stress - to make sure you've got everything you need, got my cat's things sorted for cattery, organised everything else! so there's maybe a mixture of the same for you plus the added problem of your present anxiety heightening it. I think once you set off, you'll start to relax. I always make a list as i think of things so I re-assure myself that everythings covered, & cross them off as i deal with them. people without anxiety issues just pack & go, no problem, but for us people WITH anxiety issues, even though hols are a nice thing to do, the prep can heighten anxiety. Funnily enough, i got some lorazapem from my doc today, as my bowel issues occasionally really heighten my anxiety some days. most of the time i do well keeping my mind occupied with other things, but particularly when the abdo pain is bad, it makes me worry about it more & i find myself getting over anxious due to the pain & overthinking about it. i asked for the lorazapem - I've had them before when i had trouble sleeping when my brain would not switch off when i went to bed- just couldnt stop thinking about things like work stress(at the time) etc. i would either take a whole 1mg tablet, but often just half a 1mg (split with a pill splitter) would be enough to turn off my think tank & drift off to sleep easily. i have them this time so i can take them (only as needed) when i get bouts of being over anxious with my illness which is during the day, & i will probably only need the half tablet to just take the edge off that anxiety when it occurs. i do not need them for sleep this time, as the pain is at its least or not at all at night now so i am sleeping ok. its just for during the day if my pain gets intense & it gets hard to take your mind off it even if i am doing something else to occupy my mind. hope this helps hun. I'm sure your holiday will do you good once you set off & all the prep is behind you. xxx

• Posted

Wilb, just a suggestion- you might want to do what Sue has done-ask your doc for some lorazapem to help the transition period with your escitalopram. Please also read my post to Sue about lorazapem as it applies to you too really. How long have you been on 20mg for now? xx
    • Posted

OMG loo loo, I myself some lorazepam yesterday as I rung the doctor in a right state and he gave me these to help while my escitalopram kick in! I took .5 of a tablet before bed and slept great and had the same this morning and I'm not shaky or anything, yesterday I had bowel and bladder anxiety and this was adding to my worries about the airplane journey but today I feel fine! I only plan on taking them short term tho, that's such a coincidence!!!

• Posted

That's great Sue. sooooooooo glad the lorazapem are helping. Happy holiday to you. xxx

• Posted

Been on 20 mil of generic Lexapro for 11days!
    • Posted

Sorry forgot to ask loo loo, my box of lorazepam says half a 1 mg tablet twice a day, is that everyday or only when I need it, I only want to get through my holiday !
    • Posted

Hi Sue. personally, knowing how you are from this forum, i would just take half 20mins before you go to bed. as it helps your sleep & most of your anxiety you find is in the morning that's how i would start, & see if that's sufficient. you only want to take what you need when you need it. i still used to be able to have 2 or 3 glasses of wine on a saturday evening like this to when i took it for sleep aid without problems, & still felt relaxed & not groggy in the morning. that will allow you to hopefully enjoy a normal holiday with a couple of drinks in the evening. i'm confident that's a good routine to start with hun, & see how you get on. xxx

• Posted

Thanks loo loo, yes think I will do that but will take one before my flight too! Can your system get used to them if I use them every day and then not work? I might just take them when I feel shaky!
    • Posted

i dont think so. the max i ever need was one whole tablet before bed sometimes. also your escitalopram should improve your anxiety as the weeks pass - the escitalopram is what you will need to rely on long term every day. i found when i was ready to stop using the lorazapem, i would take half every other night, & so on until i wasnt taking them at all. like any tranquilising drug you shouldnt just stop them cold turkey style. i think for now taking half before bed for a few weeks while your escitalopram settles more would be the way to go forward, & re-assess things after a few weeks.xxx

• Posted

Thankyou loo loo, you have been such a brilliant help and support! I thank you dearly 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.