Mortons Neuroma Injection

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi. I'm due to have an injection next week for a Mortons Neuroma. I've had the condition for several years now. A lot of the time, I am fine then, without warning, my foot 'Goes'!!! Unbelievable pain when I cannot walk at all. Had to change my car to an automatic because I was caught out one day shopping and couldn't drive the car back home. What a carry on! Anyway, had the scan and it's definitely a Neuroma. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the injection is like and if I will be ok to travel within 2 days as I am due to go to France (by car) 2 days after. I just haven't a clue what to expect. I would say that normally I have quite a high pain threshold but. oh my goodness!! The pain is indescribable when it comes. Many thanks, any comments appreciated.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Helen

I had the injection (sadly it didnt work) and subsequently had the op last June - much better although pain occasionally. I drove home after the injection and although I was told there could be problems the following day, there were none and I continued to drive.  I have to say though the injection is incredibly painfull and the time of administration and it seems to last a long time but no pain afterwards.   Good luck

• Posted

Hi Mary

Many thanks for your reply. Must say I'm not looking forward to it as I had heard that it's quite painful and takes ages to administer! Hey ho! Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you and you had to have the op. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it works! Many thanks again! Helen

• Posted

Hi Helen

Yes sadly it does seem to take ages to have done and you do have to take a big breath!! I wish I'd taken something to bite on!  However, if it works for you it is worth a moment of pain to get rid of the agonising pain of Mortons.  On a brighter note, if you do have to have the op (fingers crossed you don't), it takes about 15 minutes, you feel nothing and I certainly had no pain afterwards. The only thing is the inconvenience of being a bit immobile for a while (I didnt drive for about 4 weeks as the pressure of the clutch was uncomfortable) but if you have an automatic it shouldn't be so bad.  Shouldn't be a problem driving 2 days after the injection though. You cannot imagine the joy of being free of the Mortons Neuroma pain - it lifted my whole being and I have not smiled so much in ages.

Good luck.

• Posted

I am so glad you are much better now, Mary! Isn't the pain horrendous? I have been in tears with it many a time. I really appreciate you taking the time to get back to me. I'm having the injection on the 8th April so will let you know how it goes! Thanks again. Helen
  • Posted

My injection wasn't that bad and I went right back to work. I work in a very busy dental clinic. 150 patients a day. on my feet all day.
    • Posted

Hi Deborah. Your comments certainly give me hope. Thanks.If you can go right back to your busy job, hopefully I can drive to France! Many thanks. Helen
  • Posted

Hi Helen,

i think it is like root canal treatment - they say how awful it is but I have had 4 cortison injections (the last being 2 in December for 2 MNs in the same foot) and I honestly say it wasn't as bad as everyone says (neither were the 4 root canal fillings! Maybe I was lucky, justo a little nip but not so bad at all.  The only thing I would say is for me anyway the injection is only a stop gap and not always successful.  It wasn't for me at all but some people do have success.  I had to have the op a long time ago and am due to go in May for the other foot.  Best of luck and let us know how it goes!  Sure all will be well.

• Posted

Hi Elaine.

Many thanks! I hope it is a success as I can't go on with this pain, as you will know only too well. I can't believe that it's so, so sore! Fingers crossed it works and isn't too painful! I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated. Helen

• Posted

Hi Helen,

I, too, have had the condition over 2 years (got diagnosis last summer). I was given the injection in October - a litle painful but minor when compared with the pain my foot has been in, and nothing compared to the excruciating pain of a steroid injection into the thick sole of the heel for Plantar Fasciitis!

Although just a small neuroma the injection made no difference and I still have 3 "numb" toes which don't touch the floor when I stand. I have since had an MRI which showed a stress fracture of the 4th metatarsal - for how long I may have had it no-one knows, though I heard, and felt, a crack when I stood on tiptoe October 2012 - the start of my troubles since the steroid injection.

What is baffling everyone is the severe burning pain I get on top of my foot, from behind my Morton's affected toes towards the ankle bone. I, and my podiatrist, have comne up with Cmplex Regional Pain Syndrome, independantly of each other.

I don't know what to do for the best anymore!

I have nothing t sympathy for everyone with thhese conditions, and wish you luck with your injection on Wednesday, Helen.n

• Posted

That should say I have nothing but sympathy!

My computer does not like this website! Whatever I type in takes some seconds to appear and it misses out letters and whole words sometimes!

All the best for your injection, Helen - it does work for some people. It certainly hasn't made my symptoms any worse. I was lucky and had a very gentle consultant!

• Posted

Hi there madcow (Feel terrible I don't know your name!!)

Many  thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

What a dreadful time you have had! I can fully sympathise! I have been in absolute agony with it and totally unable to walk. When it starts, if I can sit down and massage it, that usually helps for a bit. I was caught out one day shopping when, as usual, it just suddenly started and I couldn't drive my car home. I had to phone round the family to see who was available to come and get me and someone to drive my car home. Nightmare! I have to say I am not looking forward to the injection but, if it helps and avoids surgery, then great!  Will let you know how it goes. Many thanks again.

• Posted

I had an injection two days ago and did not feel anything more than getting novocain at the dentist. Yesterday I took a 30 min walk with the dog and did not feel anything except in the evening. Today was all right and the orthopedic doctor will call after three months. I am very grateful to be rid of the pain.
  • Posted

Hi! I know this is an old discussion now but just wanted to add incase anyone comes across it! I had a cortisone injection for my Morton’s neuroma today and was worrying after reading bits on here and other pages saying ‘it hurt like hell’ and honestly it was nothing! A tiny scratch and couldn’t feel anything else. I did have local anaesthetic put into it before cortisone so maybe that helped?! But it hurts more to give blood (which I don’t find bad either) so anyone worried please don’t be!!
    • Posted

I had the same injection on Wednesday and as you write you almost don't feel any thing.

• Posted

Yes! I was so happy! I had the local anaesthetic seconds before I had the steroid injection too and all done through the same needle! So really isn’t as bad as a lot of the things I’ve read, I was pleasantly suprised! I can see from the comments you’ve had a previous one also, have you found it has worked for you? This is my first and hoping it works!
    • Posted

Good morning all! Well, would you believe I didn't have the injection that day and never did! I went to the hospital, got up on the bed and the doctor asked me if I was in a lot of pain. That day was one of my good days and I told him that no, I wasn't in pain that day. I explained that it wasn't sore all the time, the pain catches me out suddenly but most of the time I’m ok. He told me to live with it!! He asked what I do when it starts so I told him I sit down and massage it until the pain goes away. This can vary from a few minutes to a few hours. I can only assume many people have it a whole lot worse than me! That must be horrendous!! He said that, should it get worse and come more frequently, I’ve to go back and they will operate. So, three years later, I’m still suffereing back and forward with it. It’s all very well saying ‘live with it’ but when it ‘goes’ as I say, boy does it hurt! Absolutely excruciating pain! The frequency of it hasn't become any worse but no better either. It still totally inhibits me but then disappears for a few weeks. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it. I do know that, if it was there all the time, I would have to have the operation. He said that, because it’s not there all the time, the injection wouldn't be any use for me. The only thing would be the operation, should the pain be there constantly. In the past two weeks I have had the pain a few times when I’ve been in tears and couldn’t walk for a while and then it disappears! Bizarre! When the pain is at its worst, I think I really should have the op and I certainly would if it didn't go away. In the meantime, I ‘live with it’ as he advised. As I said, I can only assume many people have it a whole lot worse! That doesn't bear thinking about! It’s the suddenness with which it starts that’s hard to cope with as I get absolutely no warning so can easily be caught out. Onwards and upwards!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.