Mortons Neuroma Injection

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi. I'm due to have an injection next week for a Mortons Neuroma. I've had the condition for several years now. A lot of the time, I am fine then, without warning, my foot 'Goes'!!! Unbelievable pain when I cannot walk at all. Had to change my car to an automatic because I was caught out one day shopping and couldn't drive the car back home. What a carry on! Anyway, had the scan and it's definitely a Neuroma. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the injection is like and if I will be ok to travel within 2 days as I am due to go to France (by car) 2 days after. I just haven't a clue what to expect. I would say that normally I have quite a high pain threshold but. oh my goodness!! The pain is indescribable when it comes. Many thanks, any comments appreciated.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

i was the exact same Helen , it would happen now and again mainly if I went shopping . After a few years I had the injection which was not painful at all . After the injection things changed , instead of getting the pain now and again which was unbearable to walk with I now had pain all the time but now was much more bearable . I regretted having the injection as it was worse to have it all the time when you walk although bearable . I had read the injection can be put in the wrong place which I think happened to me . I got referred back to the consultant got special insoles from them for my shoes which I only use in my golf shoes. They only don’t like to operate as it is not always successful . Now I only wear sketchers memory foam , trainers, boots, slippers, and fitflops and I am painfree, these shoes  makes all the difference I can only wear other shoes or small  heels for very short periods 

• Posted

Hi Kim. Many thanks for your input. Believe it or not I went shopping this evening and got caught out walking round Asda!! Had to ditch my trolley for a while and sit down. I have also heard that the operation isn’t always successful. A few people I have spoken to actually said they were worse after it. Not what I want to hear! It’s very interesting what you say about the insoles. Perhaps that’s the route I should take? As i said previously, it doesn’t bother me all the time but when it does, the pain is excruciating, as you will know very well. If I had to talk in percentages, I’d probably say 80% of the time I’m fine but the other 20%? Boy am I in pain! Like you, I wear sketchers which I find so comfortable but even wearing them, it can still flare up so I’m definitely looking at taking your advice regarding insoles. It’s got to be worth a try. Thanks again.
  • Posted

I was optimistic reading these comments about getting the injection and got mine 6 hours ago, the injection itself wasn’t too terribly bad, a pinch and some burning but now 6 hours later it is still burning and throbbing bad and super sore! The ball of my foot is swollen and sore and I’m just in a lot of pain, I am hoping it goes away by morning.
  • Posted

Hi there

I have just been reading your conversations on your experiences with Mortons Neuroma and having the cortisone injection and surgery with interest and wondered how things were fir you all now?

I also have been suffering for a number of years with worsening pain in my right foot and recently had an ultrasound which showed a 5 mm neuroma between my 2nd and 3rd toe. I was offered the injection which i had 2 days ago and have been elevating it since then. It was a little painful having the injection but wasn't as bad as i expected and was over with quickly. Just wondered how soon it was for others before they noticed any changes? Did the pain reduce? Disappear? If so how long for? How long was it before you were able to drive again/ return to playing sport ( I love playing pickleball). Did any of you end up having surgery? How effective has that been? would you recommend it?

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.