Mortons Neuroma surgery

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have had my neuroma removed and am currently 8 days post op, Elevating as I type.

I walk a lot in my job and enjoy walking in my free time.

I have suffered with this foot pain for years and decided to go speak to my GP, who referee me for ultra sound. I was told during the scan that I had mortons neuroma. Up until this point I'd never heard of it. An appointment with a foot orthopaedic consultant was made and here he disused my options and outcomes. I went for the the injection in my 3/4 Web space (which killed by the way) and a follow up appointment was made in 2 months time. Although my foot pain had stopped almost emmeidiatly it soon returned. .so surgery was my only other option. .this was done 8 days ago and am currently sporting a full foot bandage complete with a Benefoot shoe. My surgeon explained the importance of elevating 23 hours a day, using the let over hour for "the 3 T's" toilet, tea and toast.

My foot is painful and am told he went in via the top of my foot, I can see obvious bruising and swelling but I am elevating. My appointment to remove the dressings is next week. My surgeon explained I should wear flat shoes for 3 months post bandages. So have been online shopping for shoes whilst elevating. ..well why not!!

I am a very optimistic person and am hopeful that I will be back to normal by the 3 months that was until I read this forum, I am now concerned with all the negative comments on this subject that I may never get back to normal, and I challenge myself if I have indeed done the right thing.

Has anyone got any success stories??

I am a 57 yr old female and have had the surgery via our fantastic NHS.

Appreciate any feed back.

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good morning. I am sorry if my posts have made you worried. Unfortunately my surgery was not successful but I know numerous people who have had great outcomes. I wish you a full and speedy recovery. Please post again on your progress. Best of luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for your best wishes.

I will update in the coming weeks and hopefully they will be positive and help a lot of people with concerns on their recovery.

I'm also sorry yours wasn't the outcome you expected and hope the future will be brighter and of course pain free.

• Posted

I ve had both feet operated on. My left in dec 15 and the right in feb 16. I ve had numerous injections over the years running up to the ops. The left one is still quite painful and a month ago i had it injected again. Initially i was pain free but now have pain again but nothing like the chronic pain i felt in both feet before the ops. My right one i get pain now and again especially if i ve been on my feet a lot which i am as i work on my feet all day as you do. But ss i said thevpain is nothing like the chronoc pain i had before. I was even considering giving my job up as the pain in my feet was horrendous . But happy to say o can cope with the little pain i m getting and once i rest and put my feet up it helps. Also wear proper insoles for this condition and good shoes. I ve bought fitflop shoes and sandels and find these really comfy. I cant wear heels at all now but i find a low wedge is fine and the wedge supports my arches. My consultant says one day i ll wake up and be pain free. Well i hope hes right . Hopefully this has helped and i hope your op is a success .
    • Posted

Hi Debbie

I hope you do wake up pain free, I have got my fingers and toes crossed for you. There is nothing worse than foot pain, as we have no choice but to use our feet for everything.

I agree re the shoe choice I have found comfort wearing birkenstocks, the moulding in these are perfect, however my physio advises full shoes!

I wear what makes me most comfortable.

• Posted

I will follow your surgery outcome with interest as I think people often only post on here if it is unsuccessful.  I know three people personally who have had the surgery and never looked back, all are back to walking long distance, running, cycling and exercise classes.  I meanwhile am still fighting mine with orthotic soles, the correct footwear, limiting my activities . I too like walking..which I can do though not as much as before, but I cannot , to my chagrin, run...also love this.  Not sure if cycling is aggravating it too.

My consultant is reluctant to opererate,wont use alcohol injections , and I have had two cortisone injections so far since January.  They worked pretty well although I had a very nasty steroid flare after the second, more painful one.  However, pain is now returning, not the burning ,electrical pain as yet but a numbing swollen feel in my foot, with my thrid and fourth toe feeling like they are walking on bone with no padding and squashed at the same time.  I had a lump under my foot yesterday too although that has gone down today and am FED UP of limiting my life and footwear round my foot!

I hope things go well for you, as I am sure they will.  Good luck!!

• Posted

Thank you Emma.

I will keep you posted.

I have also got the orthoptic soles which does help when I remember to switch them from shoe to shoe! My consultant has advised no heels for 3 months so am optimistic the flat shoe stage will only last through the summer, which to be honest is not too bad given I usually wear Sandles, I can wear platform style wedges too as they are classed as "flat".

I do agree with you that negative comments are predominantly posted however I hope I have a successful recovery and can share more positive comments.

Will update next week after the foot reveal.

(bandages/stitches removed)

• Posted

Hi emma I promised an update.

Today I've had my dressings stitches and removed. I was pleasantly surprised at how good my foot looked. Still brusing and swelling, ;the scare is about 2 inch long and needed a steri strip to hold it as still a tiny opening. I'm allowed to wear normal shoes but not to walk on it too much in these early stages.

All I can say today is I'm happy!! Let's hope it stays that way.

Will keep updating for next few months and hopefully I will still be as positive as I am feeling now.

Peg.

• Posted

hi

I really hope the surgery works for you and look forward to positive progress updates. I am hoping I can get referred for surgery having tried cortisone and cryosurgery but still suffering. impacts what footwear I can use and stoping me from enjoying my sport.

• Posted

It's so hard isn't it. We don't realise how much we rely on our feet!!

Keep you posted.

• Posted

I am a 52 yr old flight attendant and was diagnosed with MN in both feet earlier this year.  I had my left foot operated on in February...6 weeks later, the right.  I am back to work, 4 1/2 months later.  My feet have basically stopped swelling even after walking on them for 14 hr days on an airplane.

I can tell you that if you had a good surgeon, you will recover but you will have a different discomfort...not the searing MN pain.  Your toes will be numb between, feels funny in socks and shoes but you get used to it.  The scars on top zap me now and again but if you use vitamin E oil on them a few weeks after stitches come out that helps.  I rub them daily with the oil, not up and down but across the scars to desensitize them.  

My feet hurt on the bottom when they have not been walked on for periods of time.... Mornings hurt getting out of bed, they are very sore to step on but tolerable.  I still don't / can't walk on hard tile without a bit of discomfort.  I am back to 4 mile walks, paddle boarding, and living life again but always cautious if my feet.  All your shoes need to be reconsidered.  Best recovery walking shoes for a while should be sketchers go walks...Incredibly comfortable...they were my life savers.  Also oofos flip flops are excellent.  You can find them online or a good shoe shop.  I am told it can take up to a year before all is good again.  The road to recovery is slow but it does happen.  Listen to your doc...do not walk on at all first 10 days post surgery.  Then with walking shoe and crutches, then just walking shoe, then flip flops then a pair of sketchers go walks..... Then start living again.  ??

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hey!!! I had my MN removed 3 weeks ago. I too have pain when I get out of bed in the mornings, and it still feels like I'm walking on a pebble. I wasn't given great instructions of what to do post OP. I did mostly rest it though. Did you have strange pulling sensations? I'm so worried that it's going to stay like this. I'm still having to take strong painkiller. Your post has given me a bit of hope though.

• Posted

Hi there , I am post op 2 months and just like you , get out of bed to pain and still feel the pebble pain in walking - how many months post op are you now - -and how you feeling now ? X
    • Posted

Yes, the numbness discomfort is tolerable, but differently painful. It has been 10 months for me and it has taken this long to feel like i can say the surgery was a success. I can walk without the horrible MN pain. I will never wear heels or even wedges again, which is fine by me.

• Posted

Hi i am 8 weeks post neuroma surgery. I am still not able to fully walk through on my foot. I have my daughters wedding in july and have bought heels. I really wonder will i ever be able to wear them. Im still off work as I'm on my feet all day . I really thought I'd have a more speedy recovery and feel a bit disappointed at present. Can you offer me hope

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth.Ive had 3 x neuroma's removed ,2 on my right foot and one on my left.The one on my left foot was removed about 4 weeks ago and the right foot ones were about 8 months and 14 months ago.I have to say that i feel they will never be the same again,still uncomfortable but instead of the "stone" in my shoe i have a uncomfortable lump just like the interior of my shoe rucking up if you understand my meaning and it seems to be worse when the weather is cold,so i have to be very careful what i wear on my feet as there's no way i can walk around the house bare footed anymore,as we have hard floors except in the bedroom.I normally wear large workboots now extra lining in the bottom which are the most comfortable.

I feel your pain but in my opinion you need to throw your "heels" away and go with flat comfortable shoes,im sure people wont mind you know.Its probably these shoes that caused your problems in the first place.Be kind to yourself and dont take the chance of it happening again,go on you know it makes sense.All the best to you ,this at least for me is "life changing".!!

• Posted

I had my surgery July 2018, I am not really recovered and I'm not sure I ever will be. The pain is some better if I don't use the foot at all before it was constant even when not using it.

I use good shoes and insoles (superfeet) I followed the post surgical instructions but after a minimal improvement it just stopped getting better and is now worse than the original improvement. I walk with a cane and I'm using gabapentin to help with the pain (so far not doing much).

**my neuroma was rather large and not caused by bad shoes or repetitive motion. My foot had major trauma when I was hit by an SUV it was run over. So that may affect my results. I spent a lot of time reading stories and found many positive experiences. And people are much more likely to post about negative experiences. If mine went well I probably wouldn't be here looking for hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.