Mortons Neuroma surgery

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have had my neuroma removed and am currently 8 days post op, Elevating as I type.

I walk a lot in my job and enjoy walking in my free time.

I have suffered with this foot pain for years and decided to go speak to my GP, who referee me for ultra sound. I was told during the scan that I had mortons neuroma. Up until this point I'd never heard of it. An appointment with a foot orthopaedic consultant was made and here he disused my options and outcomes. I went for the the injection in my 3/4 Web space (which killed by the way) and a follow up appointment was made in 2 months time. Although my foot pain had stopped almost emmeidiatly it soon returned. .so surgery was my only other option. .this was done 8 days ago and am currently sporting a full foot bandage complete with a Benefoot shoe. My surgeon explained the importance of elevating 23 hours a day, using the let over hour for "the 3 T's" toilet, tea and toast.

My foot is painful and am told he went in via the top of my foot, I can see obvious bruising and swelling but I am elevating. My appointment to remove the dressings is next week. My surgeon explained I should wear flat shoes for 3 months post bandages. So have been online shopping for shoes whilst elevating. ..well why not!!

I am a very optimistic person and am hopeful that I will be back to normal by the 3 months that was until I read this forum, I am now concerned with all the negative comments on this subject that I may never get back to normal, and I challenge myself if I have indeed done the right thing.

Has anyone got any success stories??

I am a 57 yr old female and have had the surgery via our fantastic NHS.

Appreciate any feed back.

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Pegs girl, I am on the waiting list for surgery, i have two neuromnas and my surgeon will only operate on the bottom of the foot as he says much easier to access the neuroma and less structures to go through.Reading another thread on the forum was a bit scary, but glad I found your posts.. Hope your recovery is continuing.
  • Posted

I had identical history of neuroma to you . I had the steroid injections which were an immediate fix ( altho the pain of them was excruciating ) the pain would always return so I had surgery 8 weeks ago . I was pain free the first week post op but I haven't elevated and rested as much as you and I'm in real pain now - the pain is the same as the original pain when I had the neuroma but tad worse now - I'm waiting to see the surgeon again and I expect he will offer an injection AGAIN !

Just wondering how you're doing now ?

• Posted

Hi..nice to hear from you. Im doing good i think. The MN pain has gone but i have a "funny feeling" in my numb toe. I was told you trade the pain for the numbness which i guess is better. I have to admit though my foot hurts more in completely flat shoes. I did a walking holiday in September 12 weeks after my op and lived in birkenstock shoes so comfy and no pain at all. However with the cold weather upon us i cant wear them now. I find myself more comfortable wearing a low heal as apposed to completely fat.

I do work in the hospital where i was operated on and just by chance today i bumped into my surgeon who asked how my foot was i told him about the funny feeling and he said it will eventually go and can take 6 -9 months to fully heal so i suppose im doing good.

I hope you dont have what they call a stump neuroma not quite sure what it means but have read a few people say its something that happens post op.

Let me know how you get on.

Our feet are taken for granted so much but when they hurt they HURT.

Good luck. Peg

• Posted

Hi - thanks so much for replying ! Well a stump neuroma ? I just want to know WHAT is happening ,anyhow let's see what surgeon recommends - glad you're finally good - yes totally took my good feet for granted ! Cx

• Posted

Hi ive had surgery on my left foot just over 4 weeks ago, after trying everything else. I have 2 neuromas on that foot but was advised to only have 1 out at a time. The surgery pain hasnt been to bad, i had some burning pain when walking after the 2 weeks. I still cant put the ball of my foot down but haven't got to much pain so believe i will be able to walk better in a couple of weeks. The stitches came out after 2 weeks with difficulty the nurse took 45 mins to take 5 stitches out, my foot was very sore for a couple of days after. After the 2days following stitches removal i was able to get my trainers on with loosing the lasses. I wear orthotic insoles which has helped. Im hoping that i will b able to wear my wedge sandles when i go on hols in a couple of weeks but we will see. I put ice packs on the ball of my foot several times a day to help with the swelling and that is helpful.

• Posted

I'm due to have my MN surgery this Wednesday! feeling nervous and excited as I just want to be able to wear heels and boots again without pain and be able to ride my horse again with no pain.

• Posted

Did you have steroids before surgery decision ? And out of interest was the neuroma diagnosed thro a scan ? I think my problem post surgery is because my toes have moved and joints are not in correct position so my neuroma was a 2nd problem causing my pain - I'm back in for toe pins in January - last attempt to fix so u can start power walking again ! ( no excercise means me putting on all this weight - no good !

• Posted

Hi...yes I had two lots of steroid injections first. My surgeon said he's going to inject again in two months as he believes the pain is from scar tissue. The neuroma was originally diagnosed on a scan. It was missed at first as I had bursitis also x

• Posted

Hi yes i had 2 steroid injections between my toes but this made it worse also paid to see a podiatrist who gave me excersises and told to put ice on every hour for ten minutes, it helped a little but not enough to keep it up. Also paid £280 for orthotics and £95 for trainers which helped but couldnt wear anything else but the trainers.

• Posted

had my surgery to remove neuroma today. fingers crossed for the next couple of weeks
    • Posted

Ah we may have our wires crossed. I had my neuroma removed in July. I'm just in different pain now!! To be honest, it all been a bit of a nightmare x

• Posted

Make sure you rest like advised!!! Hope it's not too painful x

• Posted

Good luck keep off ur feet as much as u can and keep them elevatedx it will take a few weeks b 4 u can walk properly so b patient.
  • Posted

It never ceases to amaze me the differences in 'ideas' that are given by different people,surely there must be a constant for post op,ill explain.I had a large nueroma removed last wednesday ,its now monday of the following week.It took the surgeon about 40 mins to do the op and all was ok.My advice by both the surgeon and the nurses that looked after me was not to drive for 48 hours,ha yea ok[,i drove home an hour later] i was told to take painkillers and given some codine,i havnt needed them so havnt bothered,i was told to walk as normal but when i sit down to elevate my leg,this was to stop my foot filling with water!

My foot isnt painful just uncomfortable,it doesnt feel any diferent than before the op other than the bruising and i have developed some very tight muscles down the back of my leg,i guess its due to me trying to walk on my heel,im quietly confident that all is ok and need to get on with my work,[ im a builder ] so am looking forward to getting moving.I had been instructed to remove the bulk of the bandage in 72 hours after the op which i did and now 5 days later im down to a plaster and am able to get my walking boots back on.I do tend to struggle a little getting up after sitting as it feels that all the blood is rushing back into my foot and pounds a little but it does appear that things are improving and im sure that ill be back working soon.By the way i am a 64 year old male and in excellent health,this is the first time in hospital so i admit i was a little apprehensive but i was very well looked after and needent have worried.I do hope my experience has helped a few  people out there and that not everybody has bad feedback.My stiches are being removed in 11 days so i feel that i should be back 'on it' ! by then.

• Posted

hallejulah!! how refreshing to hear some positive feedback for a change! all the bad experiences got me worried before my op last wednesday. I am now 5 days on and feeling fine but I'll see what consultant thinks on Wednesday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.