Motability Cars

Posted , 10 users are following.

OK so I have been told I'm lucky to have been granted the enhanced rate of Motability with 18 points and be able to have a car,

I'm not so sure that I see it in quite the same way.

Lucky to not be able to walk?

Lucky to not be able to just get up from my chair when I fancy a cuppa?

Lucky not to be able to do the hobbies I love like walking the dogs?

Lucky not being able to curl up in my own bed with my partner due to the pain and inability to find a comfortable position?

Lucky not being able to have the dignity of going loo in private

Lucky not to be able to have a shower on my own

Lucky that friends and family see me differently now

I suppose I could go on but I want as no one wants to know how lucky I am, everyone sees the fact that I am being allowed to have this lovely new car as "your so lucky" well I'm not, I had a perfectly good car that got me from A to B without problem, I don't want to be in a situation where I have had to ask for this charity, I would give it all up and more to be mobile again.

Prior to this horrendous situation becoming worse I claimed low rate DLA have done for a few years due to having Rheumatoid Arthritis, 12 years +, Osteoarthritis years, Spondilitis years, Ulcerative Colitis 7 years, Microscopic Colitis 7 years, Fibromyalgia 40 years, IBS 40 years, so I suppose I could have claimed high rate DLA years ago but I didn't because I didn't need it and didnt want it,

I worked all my life, raised my kids and paid my way.

Be honest and ask yourself, would you sooner support yourself or live off the state, I know which I would sooner do.

Have My independence.

You will maybe ask why I have written this post, there will also be those out there who take offence at my post, its because I'm angry that someone who I thought cared about me is peeved because I have been awarded this benefit, would I sooner give it back and have my life back, you bet I would.

Why would anyone want to be disabled, before this happened I wasn't disabled, I was slightly incapasatated, even on days when it would take me an hour and a hot bath to get moving, I still wasn't disabled, I have friends who also have really bad incurable diseases who are not disabled just having a bit of an off day.

So to everyone out there who considers me "lucky"

SWAP

0 likes, 110 replies

110 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I totally understand where you're coming from I'm still awaiting the outcome of my claim but I'd rather be doing my nursing job ive done for the past 22 years I'm saddened to know I'll never do my job again....im only 43 and I'm knackered....give me my health back anyday!!

• Posted

Thanks Deborah, I probably came across a bit bitter, that's probably because I am LOL you obviously are like me and would sooner be mobile, I went to sort a car yesterday and there was a lady there also getting her mobility car ordered, well all I can say is maybe pip should have cameras on site, if she was disabled I'm a monkeys uncle, she was in and out of the cars like a very fit agile lady in her 30s the rep said he's never seen so many healthy people who "need" Motability cars, then he told us about two who had lost it and one in wheelchair and one with prosthetic legs, this also makes me mad, why do some get it who really shouldn't get it and others not get it who genuinely need it.

I like your need it but don't want it but have no choice as can't afford a car that I can access without pain etc

• Posted

Much as I totally agree that there has been abuse ,I think that it has went the other way where genuine cases don't have the privileges that DLA were given .This is due to almost unattainable points to qualify.I won an appeal 8 yrs ago for DLA but was refused on the grounds that this was a taxable benefit.I had 3grade Copd  This year I applied for PIP as I now have Heart disease  and can't walk far without a walking stick Points awarded 0 .suffice to say I will be going for appeal against this heartless decision.

• Posted

Oh bless you Alexandria,  I do know totally how you feel.  I temember parking in a big city, in a disabled space.  I was with my  grown up and married daughter at the time and a chap in a car was so abusive to me practically accusing me of stealing the disabled badge.  My daughter was so angry, but when she tried to explain that the fact that I may not be sporting a plaster cast didnt mean that I was able bodied.  I have severe unstable angina, apart from the Arthritis, Sondylitis and Fibro and unless you suffer with those disablities no-one would understand. Unfortunately this chap decided he knew better.  This really upset me.

I would really prefer to not have any problems, but there you are, not a lot I can do about it unfortunately so please do not be so quick to accuse people of being lead swingers.   ooer, you have me at it now Alexandria lol  xx

• Posted

No you misunderstand my comments, I know that some people have what I call invisible disabilities, I am well aware of that but I knew what this ladies disability was and it would have made her incapable of her ability to climb in and out of the cars, no stick even, this was not a disability that you could hide and it wasn't one that has its good days and bad days, its a bad days one that is also going to deteriorate not improve, how she got past pip is any bodies guess but we know they do, no I still think that its unfair that there are people out their that make the general public tar us all with the same brush.

Remember the disabled man break dancing on TV I rest my case :-)

• Posted

OMG Alexandria,  some of my text disappeared and it made it sound as if I was saying that you were accusing people of being lead swingers. This was not what I was saying at all, please don't take me wrong.  Oh dear now I feel really bad. cry

• Posted

No I'm in agreement with you, I just want all those that deserve it to get it and those that don't not too, I'm not in a good place today, had an horrendous night last night and nothing can soften the things life throws at you can it, and I think of those that are even worse of than us

• Posted

Well said Alexandria

I think most of us know at least one person who insinuates we are 'lucky'. When I had to finally give up my job after a year and half of adjusted hours and sick leave, I had (who I thought was a good friend up til this point) say 'well we can't all be lucky like you and put our feet up every day, some of us haave to work for a living'

Like you, first thing out of my mouth in reply was - LET'S SWAP

• Posted

I can never understand how someone can presume that because we are allocated this benefit we are "lucky" lucky is winning the lottery, lucky is finding your life's soulmate, lucky is having a job you enjoy.

Getting a disease that means you have to claim a benefit to have some quality of life, which I know doesn't give you a that quality of life sucks, it can just lessen the burden slightly, I'm on roll tonight, try and ignore me

• Posted

I know someone with severe copd.  One day he got out of his car using his disabled badge and several people had a go at him doubting whether he was disabled.   He said hold on a minute,  reached into his car and got his oxygen tank.  They all scurried off looking very embarrassed. 

• Posted

Hi guys n girls

I am registerd blind with other health issues

Went to go enquire about a mobility car with my brother (as my main driver as i obviously cant drive)

While at one of the showrooms i was told about someone else supposidly disabled in and out of the cars with no problems or assistance ,i could hardly get in or out of one of the stupid cars (volvo v40)

This person hadno difficulty in communicating or expressing themselves as they whete having a laugh and a joke with the salesman

Anyway a lot of people lie to get motability

In the end i CANCELLED the car as MOTIBILITY Clowns wanted to fit a TRACKER

this i took as an infrindgment of my civil liberties .(and not allowed given my brothers job)...as the other "so called" DISABLED person was offerd a car minus the traker .....i heard them finalizing thier deal .....so not only fake disability but no tracker .....one set of rules for one ect

• Posted

I'm so glad you came on and said that, I was thinking I was beginning to sound like a bitch, but yes it does seem that way doesn't it.

I'm also like you and wonder how some cars are deemed appropriate for disabled people, I couldn't get in most of them even with a push LOL (slept better last night so found my sense of humour under pillow) why doesn't one of the car manufacturers create a car with bigger door appetites so no matter what your disability whether its visable or hidden you can still get in and out and the car doesn't cost the charity an arm and a leg.

I wanted something that cost me about the same as my car fuel wise but nothing about.

I have ended up with a Volvo as the only one with an electric seat or I couldn't get in it.

Nice car I know but hefty in size and running costs, so come on ford get your thinking caps on.

• Posted

I think the tracker is only offered if the person who is having car can't drive, I do think its so they know that the car will intrinsically only be used for your benefit.

I might be wrong though so don't quote me.

• Posted

Why did it let me do a big reply to you and then not post it, I used the b would that be the reason, it so long winded to text just lately
    • Posted

I've typed huge rants that keep disappearing 😏

• Posted

I'm going crazy post is there now, oh dear I need more sleep LOL

• Posted

I have discovered that sometimes this site loses big posts for a while then they come back, if you press reply wait for post to flash, or write your reply on your comp and cut and paste .
    • Posted

Hi Biggyinn

Sorry Buddy but I have to challenge you about making assumptions about other potential mobility costumers.

As I said to Alex they could have been representing a child or relative who didn’t have capacity and the car was not necessarily being claimed by them. True they would probably be the biggest winners in getting a ‘free’ car to roam around in but they are tied to an agreement that the car must be primarily be used for the benefit of the disabled person. This will be the case when your brother takes receipt of your mobility car so just remember we face enough discrimination without practising it on each other.

The issue of the tracker was between you and the dealer it had nothing to do with this third party and to be blunt their agreement with the dealer was none of your business. If you are having trouble with them over this issue then go to another dealer plenty of them offer mobility cars without trackers.

• Posted

With all due respect ANTHONY you where not there and didn't overhear what I heard

Challenge away as in this case your wrong the guy was at it , plain and simple , lets just say him and his friend where having s nice little what they thought out of earshot chat , and basically admitted to being a cheat ,

Its motability that set the installation of trackers which they didn't inform me about

Without due respect kindly keep your other opinions to yourself

• Posted

With due respect this is an open forum it is not for you to decide who can post an opinion!

Frankly I find your story that these people were openly talking about defrauding the system in a public place such as a dealership quite unbelievable it is more like you are putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 27000.

There again if you are adamant this is true then report them to the DWP who would be able to get their details from Motability.

• Posted

The reason that motability want to fit a tracker is that you would need a designated driver, as you don't drive yourself. This is for your own security as well as motability's.  Over the years, unscrupulous people have used relatives and friends motability cars for their own purposes and some have been used as taxis.  Where the designated driver does not live at the same address as the registered keeper of the car (yourself) motability will always fit a tracker to ensure the car is only used for your benefit -  that's the whole purpose of the scheme Where a disabled person drives themselves a tracker is not fitted as they use the car themselves.  In addition, any disabled person who names a nominated driver not resident at their own address will always have a tracker fitted - again, to make sure the car is only used for the disabled person.  It may seem unfair but it is to ensure that people don't take advantage of the scheme.  Motability is of enormous value to people with disabilities and this is one of the measures introduced to maintain the integrity of the scheme and ensure it remains viable well into the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.