Movement causes SVT

Posted , 26 users are following.

I have had SVT for about 12 years now, as well as the full SVT attacks I get lots of little one of strange beats that sometimes turn into the full thing, but most of the time don't. I find that bending down, even to put my shoes causes an abnormal beat or 2. Also after eating I can feel like I am about to have an attack and often have a mini one.

Doctors have always told me that these cannot be caused by bending down, but this continues to happen, when I get days like this I hardly dare move, it's completely ruling my life, does anyone else have this same experience?

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi!

I know this is an old post, but I hope someone will read my comment.

I'm 27 years old, and I have SVT for around 8 years now. I wasn't afraid of it first because that the episode will come and go on it's own, but 2 years ago I had an episode which lasted for around 45 minutes and I had to go to the ER because of it. From then, I was anxious that I had to take antidepressants, I didn't wanted to go out of my own. 2 weeks ago I took my last antidepressant and that day I had an SVT attack which lasted half a minute. I didn't wanted to believe it, because I didn't had an attack for a year or so. I became anxious again, and yesterday (exactly 2 weeks after the previous attack) I had it again, that lasted a few minutes. I'm afraid again, even though I know that I can't die from it. EKG's, ultrasound of the heart was done, and everything's alright with my heart. Sudden movements trigger my episode, bending down, jumping, and when my stomach's full or my jeans push my stomach. When it starts, first I feel a pressure from under my heart, then it starts to race like crazy, with more than 200 bpm.

How often do you have an episode? I'm really scared, and I know that anxiety can worsen it, but I don't know how to accept it and just live with it. All day, every day it's on my mind, and I start to go crazy. I want to live a normal life, but this just ruins me totally...

• Posted

ask your doctor about ablation. mine would last 2 hours and 215bpm and happen almost all the time. i got the ablation done 15 'montgs ago and havent had a episode since. i get a extra beat or a feeling of a heart drop for like 2 seconds every once in a while not much but its been a blessing and my cardiolgist says i technically dont have it anymore. so im cured!

• Edited

Hiya, had SVT for 12 years. Just hearing you are cured made me cry for you (happy) and also for me (sad). I had an attack again and i went to the hospital and came out tiday after couple days of checks and monitors. They said im too young to have this control my life (im 35) and told me to have an ablation. To hear your experience is great. When i cant pick up my child without triggering SVT thats when i need to do something for me and her. SO YOU HIGHLY RECOMMEND ABLATION? x

• Posted

I just had it today. Bent down at work and BAM 200 beats and ended up in ER bc it did not return to normal on its own. 
  • Posted

Dominika, you've seen my related posting from a couple of years ago.  Your SVT story is very similar to those of many of us.  Continually remind yourself that a healthy heart tolerates this stuff very well.  Seek the best available medical care. Exercise and pay attention to your diet.  Consider ablation.  For me, it was the second ablation that may have "cured" me.  No SVT since, and that was 15 months ago.  I still have lots of "extra beats", and they sometimes bother me, but my overall heart-health situation is much, much better.  I wish the very best for you.

• Edited

I am super late. but i to HAD SVT. it started around 18 being 5-10 minutes like 4 times a year until i was 22. all the doctors and everybody told me it was anxiety attacks ( my mother passed away a year before they started. and i believed them until i started to bend over or get out of bed fast and it would trigger it. they started to last 30-45 mins and then went up to 2 hours one time it woke me up from sleep (scariest one) . it was getting to the point where i was getting it 2-3 times a week. could never get it on the monitor so one day i had an attack and immediatly went to drs office they did blood pressure and it was 89-59 and 215bpm .and he did the ECG and found it instead of medications i decided to go for the ablation. its been over a year and i have not had a episode since average heart rate of about 70-80 now . i dont consider myself having it anymore

• Edited

Over some years, now, I've laughed aloud when a fellow SVT person reports doctors telling him or her that bending and such can't trigger SVT. You, I, and many others trigger lots of episodes that way. Please consider ablation. My experience tells me that ablation could give you a "cure" and life will be much more pleasant for you when you leave your SVT behind. I wish the very best for you.

• Posted

I had common atrial flutter and have had two ablations. I'm still having issues. The thought is that I have some other SVT as well but it seems difficult to catch these issues and to get an accurate diagnosis. i cant take the medications as i also have really low blood pressure naturally, so I can't tolerate them any suggestions would be welcome i had another episode today that lasted 20 minutes

• Posted

yeah i feel this! since ive had SVT, some small movements cause my heart to blip, if i reach down or reach up sometimes it feels like my heart drops or stops for a seconds then gets back into rhythm, also in bed when i move from my left side onto my right i get palptations, though my heart rate is currently sitting at 69 my svt seems controlable i still get blips! is this the same for others too?

• Posted

Definitely caused by movement. I've had SVT for over 20 years, finally managed to catch it on ECG a couple of years ago after suffering a very long episode (Ambulance, Blue Lights lol) I find that I have lots of small irregular ectopic beats that eventually trigger an attack but one of my main triggers is bending down to the left. It triggers a response regularly. Lying flat on my back for a few minutes also triggers it.I have GERD and take omeprozole for it. If i miss a couple of days i get more attacks. It has to be connected. Anyone else make a connection to gastric reflux and SVT? Anyway I ended up having ablation and it worked but hasn't completely stopped episodes. I decided not to have another procedure for now but would if things get worse again. Main thing is don't panic, breath slowly and try your fix. Mine is usually coughing and holding my nose. My consultant told me to carry an empty med syringe tube and blow into the small hole hard and it does work. Just get funny looks when it happens lol.

• Posted

Yes! I have a variety of triggers (or sometimes no apparent trigger at all), but bending down or sudden movements will do it, especially right before or during my period. When I exercise, burpees are the worst for this reason!

• Edited

I'm a newly diagnosed SVT sufferer but have had palpitations for a long time. Early this year I was hospitalized with my first ever attack of Afib. Much like many on this thread, I'm finding SVTs are triggered from bending over, eating too much or not enough, or changing position in bed at night. The attacks are truly scary to me and anxiety seems to worsen them. I'm on a low dose of metroprolol but wonder if I should discuss ablation with my cardiologist. Has anyone gone through ablation and had good results?

• Edited

I had to persist, but my 2nd ablation worked very well. No SVT for many years now, and a much improved quality of life. I hope you'll experience something like this, too. Take care

• Posted

what dose of metoprolol are you on? are you on metorpolol succinate or metoprolol tartrate? do you have any side effects? has it decreased svt episodes at all?

i get svt when i bend foreward.

• Posted

Prior to my successful ablation, I was deeply frustrated when health-care people would tell me that bending over could not trigger SVT. You, I, and lots of others know that it can and does. I also experienced a week or so of swallowing causing brief irregular rhythms. I hope it helps to have your experiences validated. I wish the very best for you, and take good care of yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.