Movement causes SVT

Posted , 26 users are following.

I have had SVT for about 12 years now, as well as the full SVT attacks I get lots of little one of strange beats that sometimes turn into the full thing, but most of the time don't. I find that bending down, even to put my shoes causes an abnormal beat or 2. Also after eating I can feel like I am about to have an attack and often have a mini one.

Doctors have always told me that these cannot be caused by bending down, but this continues to happen, when I get days like this I hardly dare move, it's completely ruling my life, does anyone else have this same experience?

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Before my successful ablation, I was sometimes frustrated by health-care people telling me that bending over could not trigger SVT. You, I, and many others know that bending can pretty easily do so. I hope it helps to have your experiences validated. I wish the very best for you, and take good care of yourself.

• Posted

Hello Gene, I also get SVT from bending over and swallowing, when my stomach is full, etc.

I had 2 ablations, AVRNT, AVRT and Junctional SVT were ablated.

Do you know where exactly your ablated spot was?

Because sometimes it is outside the AV node, like anywhere in the atrium.

Please let me know and ty!

• Posted

Reading your message is a "reliving-my-medical-life experience". Many years ago, I instantaneously transitioned from lots of ectopics and very occasional SVT to short "runs" with every swallow. Frightened me deeply. My local electrophysiologist and staff could only offer, "Yeah, we've heard/read about that somewhere". I allowed the suggested echocardiogram (it was fine), ignored (after a couple of days) the suggested "stay at home" (resumed my working life), and quickly learned that a liquids-only diet wouldn't trigger the runs. That stuff lasted for a week or so and then disappeared.

Your knowledge base is way beyond mine, now. My 1st ablation was challenging for my electrophysiologist (at a branch of the Mayo Clinic) since my problem spot was very close to my AV node. He mistakenly (and excitedly) thought he'd successfully fried the mess, but in a month or so my SVT returned, much more frequently than before. A couple years of that were more than enough, so I gave

the same local person (Tallahassee, FL) another "shot" at me. Treatment capabilities had noticeably improved in that time period. Success! No SVT for lots of years, now. Plus, going through the pre-ablation testing (it was rigorous) strongly suggested that my heart and its blood supply were actually in great shape for a senior male.

That has helped me deal, somewhat successfully, with the many, many, many ectopics I experience daily.

I'm impressed with how much you've learned about our pain-in-the -posterior malady. I strongly want for you the treatment success I've experienced. This stuff is a quality-of-life wrecker, but if someone as emotionally challenged as am I can get to a much better place with it, I'm confident that many, many others can, too. I truly wish you well. Take care

• Posted

The exact same thing happens to me, what medications have you tried? Apparently we have SIAT, swallowing induced atrial tachycardia, its something related to our esophaghus, stomach, hiatal hernia, vagus nerve.

I tried metoprolol succinate 25mg, it helped a bit for 3 months but side effects were horrible, I felt like a zombie.

A lot of people take Verapamil to treat SIAT, I am going to try that after my endoscopy on Feb 11.

I had ulcers in my esophagus in 2013, they were healed and in 2015 everything looked fine and hernia grew 1 cm, it was 3cm in 2015.

So I wish something insignificant is causing the tachycardia, because I already had 2 heart ablations and I still have them like nothing changed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.