Moving on from the Nexplanon.

Posted , 25 users are following.

I had my Nexplanon implant inserted in February 2012, so I've had it for almost 2 years.

At first I was fine, and I thought I'd escaped all of the horrific symptoms that people had posted online. (Before having it put in, I thought there was a chance I'd be okay as my mum never had any symptoms with it).

But over the last 6 - 12 months things have got a little unbearable. I have gained 2 stone, I was a big size 8 - small size 10 (UK) before my implant, today I bought my first outfit in size 14 (and I only moved up to a size 12 around 2 months ago!) and I feel that was the last straw. I've always been built thin (again like my mum and sister) and so to move up 3 dress sizes in such a short space of time (accompanied by some nasty stretchmarks!) isn't acceptable. People have also been pointing out how big I'm getting so quickly. My doctor insists it's not the implant, but everyone I know (except my mum!) has gotten much, much bigger, most even bigger than me, since getting the implant.

Additionally, my mood is terrible. I don't have 'mood swings' because I never swing into the positive, I'm always down, I always feel extremely tired and sluggish and I think this is all due to my implant. Also, my periods stopped completely except for 2 very long running ones, the first which was just after it was put in, which lasted 64 days. The second which has been ongoing for 8 weeks.

So, I want to have it taken out and I'm prepared to put up a fight with my doctor to get that. However, it's a very convenient and effective contraceptive which in a way makes me want to keep it, plus there is the added benefit of the possibility of going a year without a period (prior to the implant I had very heavy and painful periods).

My question is; has anyone had the Nexplanon (or Implanon) and had to move onto a different contraceptive? What did you move on to? Are there any horrible symptoms? Is the new method effective? None of the alternatives seem as convenient as the implant, but I can't keep gaining weight like this and keep going with these bad moods. I feel if I can get the implant out then I'm not going to be on a constant diet for no reason and I might actually see results.

Just a bit of information about me: I'm 20, I am 5ft 7, I weight 11 st 7 lb.

Thank you for any advice.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Good morning ladies, I know this thread is from almost 1 year ago and hoping to get updates on your progress since having the nexplanon implant removed.  My daughter is 19 and had it inserted last April 2016 and removed April 2017 due to the symptoms.  She gained 50 pounds in that time and her acne became horrible as well as the stretch marks on her arms and inner thighs.  She looks bloated, double chin, think ankles like a pregnant woman and a large belly.  She has always had an athletic build but has gone from a size 8 to a size 12!  I am devastated for her as I know, especially at this age, how hard it is to stand out and I am seriously concerned for her health, physical and mental as she said it made her moody and cry more often.  It's hard to give someone unwanted advice and I have to tread lightly but have been making her healthier lunches to take to work and trying to serve healthy tasty dinners at home.  She has not gotten a period but it has just been 1 month now since she had it removed so I guess she needs to give it more time from what I have read her and elsewhere on the web. She is going to try the nuvaring but they said to wait until after her first period to put it in. 

My questions are:

How long did it take you to get a regular period again?

Did you lose the excess weight?  If so, how long did it take?

Did your mood and health return to what it was before the implant?

I am desperate for answers and to help my daughter see it is not just her going through this, thank you in advance for your help!

• Posted

I am also looking for answers I had our son at 18. Just before my 19th birthday. And the day after my 19th birthday I got the implant put in. Within the next year I have gained 50lbs and it kills my confidence and mood I feel disgusting with my body. Let you daughter know she is not the only one and I hope that she gets the answers and results she is looking for. I'm 18 months in with the birth control and I'll be getting it out as soon as I can.

• Posted

I got the Nexplanon implant in May of 2016. I thought I loved it. I went from heavy and painful periods to lighter and easily predicted ones every 4 months. I was not worried anymore about getting pregnant. I thought it was great. Wrong. I have spent over a year dealing with nausea, headaches and mild depression. And then comes the worst part... I gained 50 pounds AND RISING with little to no change in my diet and exercise. And I am only able to lose a pound or two sporadically only after extensive changes in my eating habits and my fitness style. While I still have the sex drive of a young female, I absolutely hate my body and have lost so much confidence. It's hard to expose myself to partners now. I got the implant just before I turned 18 and now I'm 19. I am 5'10" and I started off weighing 145/150 and now I weigh over 200 pounds. I think I have finally made the decision to get it removed after reading all of these posts. I hope to return back in awhile and be able to update with progress. Thank you all for sharing your stories publicly like this. 

• Posted

Hi did you get ur implant removed??? Any change if you did? X
  • Posted

Hi there girls! Ive only just signed up to this website and come across this thread so it may be too late 😏

I had the implant from the age of 14 every 3 years untill I was 24. I had a couple in and out in a year so ive had alot of experience with them for the past 11 years.

Anyway I had 0 problems for many years untill I had my son in 2014 then I had one put back in 2 weeks after he was born then had it removed back in may 2017 on his 3rd birthday and had another put in and oh my god did that one destroy my body!! I dragged it out for 3 months and I just couldnt carry on with it. I suffered mood swings, weight gain, headaches, fatigue you name it! But after having it out everything is 100x worse. 5 months on I am still suffering.. ive got terrible acne, bad hair, mood swings (low mood most of the time) chronic migraines where I ended up in hospital 2x and also bad anxiety and very bad periods with severe fatigue. I am now having a full MOT on my body to see what the hell is going on as my lady area doesnt feel right so ive had a smear pushed forward and also full blood counts etc basically its destroyed me coming off contraception altogether. So if anyone has had issues like me then please comment back as ide love my mind to be rest at ease as Im not sure if my hormones can still be messed up 5 months later. 😔 x

• Posted

Hello, I am about to get mine out in a few days I was wondering how your weight loss journey has been?
    • Posted

Hi 

I had my implant removed today!!! Just wondering have u noticed any difference to your weight or appetite? X

• Posted

Only just seen this.

No nothing has changed with my weight ive stayed between the usual x

• Posted

Hiya, my weight has stayed the same since having my implant removed 6 months ago. My head aches have calmed down but everything staryed the same (if you see my previous post) but ive just been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries so thats where alot of my problems are coming from x
  • Posted

Hello!

So glad to have found some recent posts on this topic.

I have been so reluctant over the years to blame my side effects on the implant (I've had two in over the past 4 years with a small break). However, after eating like a pig in the first year of uni and not piling on any weight, to then dramatically change my lifestyle for the better, exercise more and eat better to then put on two and a half stone.... it's hard not to blame it. I've been unsuccessful in shifting any weight WHAT SO EVER, my acne is worse than it has ever been and my moods have been so bad I've been referred for counselling (not to mention the lack of sex drive). So many reasons have influenced my decision for removal so I'm thrilled to hear a lot of you have had positive experiences. I had such an issue trying to get an appointment to have it removed, but FINALLY got someone to take it out today. Fingers crossed for some improvements in my life.

If any of you have any updates on how you fared after removal please let me know!!

All the best smile

• Posted

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my rather horrible story dealing with nexplanon and it’s side effects . I got the implant right after I had my daughter in June of 2016. As time went on I slowly noticed I was getting migraines more and more frequently. I’ve had them for several years but only once every few months. This slowly turned into a horrible constant migraine that never stopped with constant visual disturbances, hand tremors and nausea at all times. I was tried on every migraine med around only to have that cause more side effects with very little relief. My headaches were accompanied with crippling depression and anxiety to the point that I couldn’t function at all.  After seeing a neurologist finally and a clear MRI he suggested I have the implant out just to rule out all possibilities. I had it out in February of 2018. It has been two months and I will say it’s still been a rollercoaster but I’m slowly having more and more good days.  I’m now on progesterone only birth control pills and vitamins but no other prescription meds. I hope that one day I will get back to my old self but I just wanted to write this in hopes that someone else possibly going through the hell I went through this year would find it and know they’re not alone and they’re not crazy . 

turned in

migraines happening 

• Posted

Please ignore the last two lines. I can’t figure out how to edit them out. 
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing. I literally had all the same symptoms but got mine removed today! Was also given progesterone only pill but I’m scared of having the same side effects so i haven’t started it How’s it going for you? 
    • Posted

I’m on my fourth month of the new birth control and I haven’t had any of the same side effects. I’ve had to start Prozac to get over my anxiety and depression and that’s helped tremendously. I hope you find success as well, it does take some time. Let me know how I works out
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing your story. 

My story is similar in some ways. I had the implant inserted October 2016, and recently had it removed June 2018. The first year of having the implant I noticed little to no side effects. My period would come as expected every month, and my weight stayed the same for the most part. Around September of 2017 is when I noticed an off color discharge and unsightly odor(TMI I know), and I had no idea what it was because I have never experienced this before. Come to find out it was BV (a side effect from the birth control). I got treated for it, and from there I didnt really notice any other side effects up until April 2018. I started to get inflammation in the groin area (also a side effect),which brought on really bad ingrowns that caused unsightly scarring.

Before Nexplanon, I had small bouts of anxiety, but it definitely started to worsen as time went on. I started to become super anxious about the smallest things. The anxiety was then followed by depression. In my 27 years of life, I have never felt this anxious and depressed. If I wasnt seething with rage, I was bursting out in tears. The depression and anxiety caused me to lose 20 pounds because of lack of appetite, and I started to become self conscious about how I looked and how others percieved me (not to mention my sex drive at this point was non existent). I finally decided I had enough when I started to have emotional breakdowns at work, crying for no reason, and having an overall sad demeanor. 

I had the Nexplanon removed June 13, and since the removal I have definitely seen a change in my mood (having it removed was an instant mood booster). I'm happier, small issues are no longer the end of the world, and I have a happier outlook.The inflammation in my groin area instantly went down and my sex drive came back as well.  Its been a little over a month since it's been out, and I can say without a doubt that the Nexplanon was the root of my woes. Although I have been happier these days, there are times when my emotions are a roller coaster. I'll have really good days, and there are times when they are not so great. Its been a day by day battle at times, but I am making progress

Ultimately, if anyone has experienced any of these symptoms while on Nexplanon and you're debating on removing it, DO IT. This birth control has changed my life in not the best of ways, but it has taught me alot.This was my first encounter with birth control and will definitely be my last. I hope this helps anyone experiencing similar issues or side effects. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.