Moving on from the Nexplanon.

Posted , 25 users are following.

I had my Nexplanon implant inserted in February 2012, so I've had it for almost 2 years.

At first I was fine, and I thought I'd escaped all of the horrific symptoms that people had posted online. (Before having it put in, I thought there was a chance I'd be okay as my mum never had any symptoms with it).

But over the last 6 - 12 months things have got a little unbearable. I have gained 2 stone, I was a big size 8 - small size 10 (UK) before my implant, today I bought my first outfit in size 14 (and I only moved up to a size 12 around 2 months ago!) and I feel that was the last straw. I've always been built thin (again like my mum and sister) and so to move up 3 dress sizes in such a short space of time (accompanied by some nasty stretchmarks!) isn't acceptable. People have also been pointing out how big I'm getting so quickly. My doctor insists it's not the implant, but everyone I know (except my mum!) has gotten much, much bigger, most even bigger than me, since getting the implant.

Additionally, my mood is terrible. I don't have 'mood swings' because I never swing into the positive, I'm always down, I always feel extremely tired and sluggish and I think this is all due to my implant. Also, my periods stopped completely except for 2 very long running ones, the first which was just after it was put in, which lasted 64 days. The second which has been ongoing for 8 weeks.

So, I want to have it taken out and I'm prepared to put up a fight with my doctor to get that. However, it's a very convenient and effective contraceptive which in a way makes me want to keep it, plus there is the added benefit of the possibility of going a year without a period (prior to the implant I had very heavy and painful periods).

My question is; has anyone had the Nexplanon (or Implanon) and had to move onto a different contraceptive? What did you move on to? Are there any horrible symptoms? Is the new method effective? None of the alternatives seem as convenient as the implant, but I can't keep gaining weight like this and keep going with these bad moods. I feel if I can get the implant out then I'm not going to be on a constant diet for no reason and I might actually see results.

Just a bit of information about me: I'm 20, I am 5ft 7, I weight 11 st 7 lb.

Thank you for any advice.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I know this is an old post but I just need to share my experience on it. I’ve had very similar problems and symptoms it’s so bad. I had nexplanon inserted in February 2019 and for the first 6 months or so I thought there were no symptoms what so ever, except for the bleeding for 3 months which then eventually stopped which was around may, everything were fine up until December 2019 so around 8/9 months after having it I started to gain a lot of weight, to the point of going from a 8 to a 12/14 within the past 4 months. I am covered in stretch marks from my bum, thighs, breast and they make me feel so insecure. I have the occasional spotting which isn’t a problem, I am constantly bloated I thought I were intolerant to certain food or have IBS but I’m starting to think it’s the side effects of the implant after reading everything online. I have been in a constant mood for months and can’t come out of it. My anxiety and depression has been awful I constantly feel down about my weight and I am so insecure about it and my body. I get bloated no matter what I eat, I have never suffered from bad skin however I now have acne at the side of my face. I’m getting this taken out in 2 weeks and giving my body a break from everything. I have never felt so down and upset in my life I’ve had it in for a year now and the past 4 months have been awful for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.