Mrs

Posted , 4 users are following.

78 year old Australian. Looking after husband with IPF.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I don't understand?  What is IPF?
    • Posted

Idiopathic Pulmunory Fibrosis.   Idiopathic means the cause is unknown and most people's are.  Pulmunory Fibrosis is a serious lung disease. 

• Posted

Thanks for the explanation, I do know about pulmonary fibrosis but didn't recognise the initials.  I know someone who died of this not long ago, a matter of months after diagnosis, and it was believed he'd developed it from working with and handlling wild birds for many years.  
    • Posted

I know someone too who recently died of it but he had it for a number of years.
    • Posted

I guess it's like all the COPD group of diseases, it obviously depends on the stage at which it's diagnosed.    Lots of people cough and wheeze for years before they consult a doctor and get a diagnosis.   

An acquaintance of mine (not too bright) told me the other day she doesn't have emphysema any more because she doesn't get breathless walking uphill - turned out she'd stopped walking uphill and was fooling herself she was cured!       

• Posted

And many do go but get dismissed as just a stupid smoker,  therefore go away and die,  we don't care.  Or they are an ex smoker - well it's just the result of smoking for so many years.  

I was reading somewhere that the lung cancer survival rates in the UK are near the bottom and I am not surprised. 

• Posted

If any medical person responded to me in that insulting and dismissive way I'd report them:  I've never heard of that sort of response, you must have been very unlucky.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.