MUA after TRK

Posted , 7 users are following.

having MUA on MONDAY having anxiety about the pain I will have after My RTKR was very painful and i had a hard time getting it under control the first few weeks i can straighten my leg out but bending only to about 45 degrees

my question is how bad is the pain after mua and how long does it last I am a preschool teacher of 48 children and was supposed to start school this week i am curious how long i will be out after any advice would help

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm sorry but what is an MUA?

• Posted

It is Manipulation Under Anesthesia. You are anesthetized and the doctor/surgeon will bend you knee back and forth hoping to break up scar tissue. In my case, they couldn't bend my knee back, so he had to go in with a scope and clean out the scar tissue. I saw the pictures of the scar tissue , and it looks like cotton candy, but trust me, it is hard as a rock.

• Posted

I have had a MUA done and Scope surgery at same time. Pain was bareable and didn't last as long as I thought it would.

• Posted

I had my MUA ABOUT 3 months after my TLKR . I had no pain, only at therapy.. i cant say it did much for me.. my left knee only gets 100 degrees.. still alot of tightness and I'm a year and a half out.

Had my right knee done 6 weeks before the left, have no issues with that one..

I can walk 5 miles with no pain, just grateful for that!!!

Hope all goes well... DEBBIE Coplay, PA

• Posted

I am 8 months out from bilateral TKR and have tightness in both knees, left is worse than right. I am sorry to hear you still have tightness for so long. My doctor has no answers as to why I have this, says he's never seen this before. Does your doctor have a suggestion why it is still present. A friend of mine had bilateral knee replacement and he had the tightness for two years and then was suddenly just gone. I am interested in what your experience has been as I find it difficult some days to believe that it will ever go away. I am a very positive person, but this takes its toll some days

• Posted

Hello,

I went to see my doctor appox 5 months after the replacement.. She told me she could go in and remove scar tissue but not till I GAVE IT 1 year... went back for the year follow up, never saw my doctor only the PA. told her it was still stiff.. all i got was more PT time.. did for about 2 months and then stopped it did nothing for the tightness.. I figure i will give it time... but I dont see it going away.. DEBBIE COPLAY, PA

• Posted

Everyone, which includes my physiotherapist, says that one morning you wake up and it's just gone. But not knowing when that day will arrive is tough. I have been doing massage once a week and that seems to be the best thing to get some relief.

It is very frustrating that the doctor dismissed me, the surgeons office won't even return my phone calls anymore. If it wasn't for this forum and finding people going through the same thing, I would be extremely depressed and scared by now. Hope your day arrives soon that takes this away for you.

• Posted

Debbie, I know exactly what you mean. My original surgeon didn't listen to me about how much pain I was in , but he could see what my ROM was. but, still wouldn't do anything. I went to another surgeon, in another city, and he listened to me and decided to do manipulation and scope to clean out scar tissue. that was at month 7. Now, a year and a half out, the scar tissue has grown back, after going for months and months of PT. Pool and land PT. Saw doc last and he does not want to do another scope, for fear of the scar tissue growing back yet again, so Im going to pain clinic to get genicular nerve block. He asked me which I could live with, the stiffness or the pain, and I said, the stiffness, please do something about pain. so, that's where I am now. Oh, and he was going to contact the KNEE GURU, so to speak, in Charlotte, who is doing research on why some ppl grow scar tissue and some don't. It may have to do with my being diabetic?!?!

• Posted

I was very lucky. I rang my Surgeon's secretary last week and got an appointment for two days later with his Registrar. It was the Surgeon himself who came into the consulting room. He told me that I'd been overdoing things when I "fessed up" what I'd been up to. He also sent me for X-rays, which, fortunately, revealed that all is well with the replacement itself.

I agree that it is good to talk with other people who are going through similar tribulations.

• Posted

boy do I get you!! I'm only 2 months in but can't sleep at night!! and having pain control!!

• Posted

my pt tech told my doc my ROM was only 115 and stuck at that a month - this was my first knee in 2017. MY surgeon said i better get a MUA and he did! my knee was great after that

• Posted

If and when that day happens I will be celebrating .. and will let this forum know... but I'm grateful for no pain..

best of luck to you.. keep us informed of your progress!

DEBBIE COPLAY, PA

• Posted

Martha,

I think we spoke before after we got our replacements.. I'm sorry you still have pain, that I don't have just stiffness on my left knee, that strap feeling.. After the MUA my doctor showed me pictures of my left knee being bent back all the way.. what I don't understand is how it got so stiff after that procedure.. I did the PT.. SCREAMING IN PAIN. I guess they dont understand why it happens.. Just hope it goes away.. KEEP IN TOUCH BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!

Debbie from COPLAY , PA

• Posted

My surgeons assistant called yesterday to let me know that the anaesthetist that did my epidural, has booked a appointment for me at the hospital pain clinic for Oct 11th. I will be sure to let you know if they come up with anything that helps. My surgeon still maintains that he has never had this happen to a patient in 30 years. I am hoping that the pain clinic has dealt with this and can help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.