Muggy weather

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Silly question really but has anyone else in England suffered from this heavy humid weather with the air full of floating white stuff?  I can hardly move sometimes recently so I've just started taking my steroids.  I suppose I just need re-assurance and hope that my COPD is not getting worse permanently.  It's really comforting and supportive to read all your posts.  Bless you.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If the air is polluted and you go put your copd will get worse the floating white stuff could be pollen and that will make you worse too
  • Posted

I’m in the uk Deanne , and have been short of breath the past few days , had to use my ventolin 2-3 times a day , it’s been very misty where I live and for now I’m putting it down to the weather, see how things go over the next few days 
    • Posted

Thank you so much Mandy and Dilys for your replies, it's very reassuring but obvious really.  I did say it was a silly question but it's nice to know I'm not the only one.  I hope we both feel better soon Mandy. xx

• Posted

deanne77778, in the US Arkansas, it is hot and muggy and have not been able to get out much because of it. We do get lots of pollen in the air and my allergies are bad, sinus are terrible....so it can be unpleasant....dear, better days ahead. I am sure your COPD is not worse....be patient with yourself and always hopeful. Rainbow blessings to you.

• Posted

It’s difficult to understand the best climate for our condition , the cold weathers not good , the heats not good , the damps not good , think I will go live on the moon lol , hopefully we will be feeling some kind of better real soon , take care x
    • Posted

It is very very dry in Arkansas. I find cooler, moisture climate more comfortable. I can breathe. I love the beaches in Calif. The salt sea air is very healthy. But I agree Mandy, the Moon has no atmosphere so who knows? We have to keep our sense of humor and try to laugh more at ourselves. To find things and situations to laugh at. A more positive and hopeful frame of mind helps the conditions. It is alright to feel badly and frustrated but not to stay in that frame of mind. It is not productive or helpful. The bad climate does make us feel we are getting worse, but it is just a flare up it will pass. There are better days ahead. Keep the faith dear companions.
  • Posted

Humidity is well known for causing breathlessness for us lungies unfortunately.  I think the perfect day is warm but with a stiff breeze. How many of those do we get in the UK - not many. x
    • Posted

Thank you so much Hypercat, Mandy and Antoinette for all your support, I really appreciate it.  It all makes sense of course but this can be a bit scary at times.  Smoking is always blamed for COPD but our weather and the pollution have a lot to answer for.  I potted up six plants on Saturday and I wore a proper mask.  I had to take it off because I couldn't breath!!!!!  Bless you all and thank you for being there. xxxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

Must admit Deanne , breathing is still bit hard , I’m gonna ring pulmonary physio tomorrow if it’s no easier, but it’s very muggy here today , do you have the pulmonary physio that you can contact if need be ? xxx
    • Posted

You are very welcome Deanne.  I live in the UK right by the seaside which is great as the air is fresh (too fresh sometimes!) and hate to think what I would be like now if I still lived in dirty smelly polluted London!  

The downside is though that my area is very hilly and you know what hills are like for us.  Take care.  x

• Posted

Mandy, I'm on the third day of steroids and they are helping a lot.  But I've never had to take them before for muggy weather, just when I had colds.  I do have access to the "Rocket Team" and I have a very yummy nurse who comes to my home if need be (good job I'm a wrinkly)!!  At the moment, I don't see what else they can do.  I am allowed to keep steroids by me, maybe you could ask your team for some?  They really do help. xxxx

• Posted

How are you today Deanne ? My breathing seems easier , hope yours and others who are struggling is too , strangely enough steroids don’t seem to help me , I see lots of posts saying thank goodness for the steroids , my saving grace is the team will get me access to antibiotics and a nebuliser if needed , xx
    • Posted

Thank you for asking Mandy.  The steroids are helping no end but as it gets towards the time to take them again, I notice my breathing is slightly worse again.  I have been told that there's no need to take antibiotics unless there's an infection but the steroids give extra help when needed.  How strange that it works the other way round for you.  It's just as well we're all different and we can find our own levels.  I have also been told that using eight or nine puffs of Ventolin through a spacer is as effective as a nebuliser and less trouble!  Hope you feel much better soon.

Bless you.  xxxxxxxxx

• Posted

In UK we are not prescribed steroids for muggy weather or colds. refer to my previous comment.

Or are you referring to inhaled steroids?  If this is the case you should be taking your inhalers as prescribed by your doctor.  Inhaled steroids are usually prescribed as a preventative medicine to be taken daily.

• Posted

Hello deanne,

I live in Richmond, VA (100 miles from the Atlantic), so the humidity varies from day to day. I must be very selective about spending time outdoors or in public places as it affects my condition. Temperature also limits my movements. It is not always so easy to get my healthy family/friends to fully understand just how particular COPD can truly be. 

I read that steroids are a regular feature of your daily treatment. Steroids work to relax the airways so they are not as restricted, I find that for me airway restriction is not as great a problem as the buildup of mucus is. I find that the controlled use of the nebulizer helps to break up the mucus so that I can extricate it. It is never fun to spend 1 to 2 hours getting rid of the mucus, but the benefits are well worth the effort. 

I too appreciate this place where fellow COPD sufferers can comfort and share their experiences. I look for topics that I may wish to discuss with my Dr. 

All my best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.