multaq for 5 months now, no af epsiodes!

Posted , 9 users are following.

so i guess multaq works great. and i notice zero side effects from it, even taking it on empty stomach even though it says take with food, and im type who cant even take an aspirin or some vitamins without stomach eupset.

am taking 400 mg 2 x day.

56 female

a fib started abt 6 yrs ago.

was going to have ablation but not good time (am inbetween housing) and im glad multaq works. i was scared to have ablation anyway.

are there long term bad side effects of taking multaq forever?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

where is the edit button?

episodes

• Posted

HI you dont give your location, are you in UK using NHS or other?/ If NHS was obtaining Multaq 400mg available on NHS prescription??

Great news for you !!

• Posted

I have been on this for 6/7 months now , I had side effects of hair loss nails breaking ect but it seems to have settled down now and AF settled , I can even go a walk now , long may it continue , Scottish Borders , 400 mg twice daily , good luck all ...
    • Posted

Multaq sounds fine, your side effects wouldnt bother me , the amiodarone I take has given me water retention and on one litre of liquid a day and a mainly vegan diet I am still getting FATTER ... 
  • Posted

Do you take Multaq in conjunction with any other meds please?
    • Posted

Hi , I don't take anything else with Multaq except my aspirin ...and it's working fine for now ...😀😃
  • Posted

Never heard of it, is this a new drug? 
  • Posted

It appears to be 'dronedarone' which I think is used to keep you in normal rhythm once you have had such as cardioversion.
    • Posted

Mick, is it (MULTAQ) the same as amiodarone ? Which costs me 6 euro a box 200g,60 tablets without scrip. I have had no cardioversion, ablation etc, just these pills. 
    • Posted

Yes jay it is the same tablet ...it is a relatively new tablet ...seems to work for me any way ...😀😃
  • Posted

I asked my Cardio to take me of Multaq 400mg after reading the risk factors, I still havent got to the bottom of why i was put on it as had a CV then after 5 months reverted to AF, and according to the Medicne guidelines Multaq is a NO GO!!.. list of side effects is pretty long, plus there are chances of other major issues, so all in glad I am now off it( was on it for 3 months!)
  • Posted

According to MULTAQs own US site it is 'dronedarone' and not 'amiodarone' which is far more toxic and contains Iodine. I have not taken either but would not be happy to take 'amiodarone' simply to stay in  sinus. That is just my opinion but my anxiety would not cope with the many and various side effects.
    • Posted

On my med box is says multaqa on front but dronedadrone on back ...400mg twice daily ...
    • Posted

Mick, last year I had SVT and verapamil which did not stop the rattle, this year I have AF and amiodarone which works better but has made me fat with water retention and a bit diizy. I have no intention of reading the side effects or I could be imagining them. I just check interactions with my other drug of choice, symbicort for asthma .. So, any suggestion from anyone about a replacement for amiodarone that I could ask my doc about ? THANKYOU. 
    • Posted

Hi I am on MULTAQ 400 mg twice a day and that's working fine ...I have had a few side effects ie hair loss and nails breaking but they settled down after about 6 wks ....I hope this helps you ...betty 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.