Multiple fibroids, route I have taken and very happy 😊

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello ladies, you are all so strong, I have read your stories and we are all heroes for putting up with the nasty fibroids

This post is about the route I have taken when I was faced with no options that I was happy with, and I hope will help some of you as an alternative. 

18 months ago, I was diagnosed with multiple fibroids, biggest one at the time 4,5m. The consultant NHS London, dismissed me with cerazette only. April this year I saw another consultant as the fibroids has grown , 7cm and I was put on a waiting list for myomectomy or hysterectomy. The doctor said they can't make a decision about the exact procedure until the operation. I am 35 and no kids so I have said no way to hysterectomy, but they didn't gave me other options. 

I have searched private hospital in Europe as in London is very expensive and I work as Receptionist. I found a fertility and gynaecology hospital in Romania, Wellborn Hospital  private with affordable prices starting from 1000 pounds. I have contacted the doctor very helpful and friendly he has his own website and speaks French and English, sent him my records and he told me that I am suitable for a laparoscopic myomectomy and m fertility won't be affected.

He arranged all for me based on my availability and in less than a months I have had my operation done. 18 days today and I have had slightly no pain, not started bleeding yet, the scar is small and healing very well. 

They treat endometriosis, fibroids, cyst, organ prolapse. So anyone of you who has fibroids and want kids like I do, please don't delay your treatment. We all know, the more you delay the less chances you have. And most important seek a 2nd opinion, even if is just a consultation with private doctor. 

Please feel free to message me directly and I will tell you more info, and the hospital and doctor contact detail as here won't be published.

all the best for all the strong ladies here, don't gave up.

3 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing your story. I was only just told a few days ago that I have at least one 8 cm fibroid. I'll admit, it has shaken me up a bit as I also want to have no children and my husband and I would like to. I will be getting with my OB GYN soon to discuss surgery.

• Posted

Correction:

*as I also have no children and my husband and I would like to.

• Posted

Hello, I think is important that we all share not only stories of our fibroids but treatment as well, this way you know for sure that even though no 2 bodies are the same, there are still some similarities and you can chose/ask what you want/need. The worst thing is having no idea about what treatments are available, like I was when I saw the gynaecologist the 1st time. When she said I can't have an operation I just listen to her and said yeah. She didn't even examined me, she just read the scan and said " the pill for you"

Just an advise, don't wait too long as they grow quite fast, and the bigger they are the more difficult will be. I was on the table for 5h due to not having it done when it was smaller. In case you don't know a typical laparoscopic myomectomy is up to 4h. All the best with yours, hopefully the wait won't be too long. 

• Posted

Thank you. There is not much to discuss as far as treatment for me just yet. I still have to get with an OB GYN. 
  • Posted

I love your courage dear, we are into it and we shall conquer because we are strong . We are also TTC but hoping things Will get better and better by God's grace.

Good luck.

• Posted

So glad to hear things are going well. It really is disgraceful that better treatment is not available here in the UK. I also had to pay privately and had a very large fibroid removed via laparpsopic surgery three years ago. The op went well and I made a good recovery with no complications other than anaemia which resolved quickly. I wish you well and I hope you go on to have a lovely family. x
    • Posted

Thank you Deanne. And yes is a shame that the first option is medication and in most cases, doesn't work, like in my case and you suffer until in some cases is too late and you have to have major procedures. I am glad to hear that you have had a positive outcome as well, it all that matters. Have a nice weekend. 

• Posted

Many people do and have had sucessful myomectomies all thankful to nhs. 

However no reputable experienced surgeon can guarantee that the operation will go without complications and that they will be able to perserve the uterus and avoid and hysterctomy however many MRI and ultrasound scans you have. There is always that risk like with any surgery  that it will not go as ideally planned.  The risks ate even higher  with the uterus as it is a extremely vascular organ, thus to be able to do the job its designed to do, grow life. 

Until the surgeon is inside and attempting to remove the fibriods there is no knowing how the surgery will go. No two persons anatomy is exactly the same, and unfortunatly if your uterus is haemorrhaging out and that bleed cannot not be stemmed  in order to save your life the would have to do a hysterectomy. 

I would question and surgeon who will make that promise that a hysterectomy is 100% avoidable.

I do think some consultants could a lot more tactile  and sympathetic while explaining these risks and reasoning behind it. 

I think we are very lucky to have a nhs in many countries if you get sick and have no insurence or money then you just deal with it. 

• Posted

I was aware of the risk of haemorrhage as with any type of surgery there are  risks but minor ones. But when they ask you to sign for an option that they push it on you, is not right especially when you have no kids like me. Don't get me wrong NHS is great, but they shouldn't force the treatment that they want to do it not because your health but because it may be easy for them. I know the risks of the procedure I have had, same with the general anesthetic, but they are only 1% risks.

And no, the private doctor never mentioned that won't be any risks, he only gave me the best option for me, it wasn't about at the time of operation will know, he knew before hand and most important I knew 99% what I am going in for, it wasn't 50-50 like NHS. 

When they tell you it will either A or B, you never know if indeed they chose the best option for you as you agreed to either one of them. But when you only say yes to A and come out of the operation with B, then you know that they saved your life for sure. The last 18 months has been difficult but now is finished and with great results, minimum invasion procedure and kept my uterus. 

• Posted

I was told i was going to have a laparoscopic myomectomy but they did a open myomectomy. Me and my doctor talked about her trying to do the laparoscopic myomectomy first and if they couldn't get the one that was at the back they would do the open myomectomy. But i didn't see no incisions that show they did a laparoscopic myomectomy. During my stay at the hospital after my surgery she said they found 8 and they were everywhere. BUT WHY DIDN'T SHE TRY THE LAPAROSCOPIC MYOMECTOMY😔😳🤧😢😭😭😭😭. How do i find out if she tried the laparoscopic myomectomy???😔😒

• Posted

your records plus the scars. You should have an incision in or near the belly button of a 1cm, plus another one on either left or right side near the hip joint. 
    • Posted

I see something above my belly button😒 but i don't no incision on my hip🤔😡😠😤😬😧😑. I'll ask for copies of my records. Did you have a laparoscopic myomectomy??? I wish you could share pictures on here😒😔😧. I see theres some grayish thing that coming out my incision it's also in my belly so maybe they did but like you said that theres no other incision on my hip🤔😒.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.