Multiple hip problems.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi internet strangers.  I am writing to ask for guidance on my condition.  Mid-30’s male that formerly led an athletic life.

I have bilateral hip dyplasia, bilateral and degenerated labral tears, bilateral hamstring tendinosis at origin (high hamstring), and single side glute medius and glute minimums teninosis.  

I’ve had this condition for over two years and while I’ve made progress through traditional physical therapy, it has not fixed my situation.  I live in daily pain, which I manage through acupuncture and massage therapy - as well as an active rehabilitative program.  I received a steroid injection with no results and have a consult with a surgeon soon.  Since i am relatively young, I don’t want a total hip replacement and was wondering what advice you have for me.  I’ve read about minimally invasive procedures, but not sure if I qualify.

This has been emotionally and physically challenging.  I feel like my life is over - impacts my social life (which is dwindling), my earnings career advancement potential (since I cut my hours because I can no longer sit in pain and prefer to be at home resting with ice or heat).  I’ve kept a game face for friends and family but i am getting tired of pretending that I’m not exhausted and in chronic pain.  

Thanks so much for any useful input.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Dear Matt

I'm very sorry to hear that you are having to face the prospect of hip replacement surgery at such a young age. I had one hip replaced at age 55 and had a very quick pain free recovery. I was doing a very demanding building and farming job which I was forced to stop doing.

The hip surgery allowed me to return to my work and after a short time I had forgotten all about the surgery. The new hip lasted for twenty years before the poly and cup fitting needed to be replaced last year. As I see it I should now be good on that revised hip for the rest of my life.

In your position given my own experience I would just have a hip replacement but choice of surgeon is the key to success. Your physical fitness and health is also important for a quick and good recovery. You can also help by giving up smoking and reduce your drinking of alcohol.

Finally having a positive outlook greatly helps. Good luck, Richard

• Posted

Thanks Richard.  I'm also very sorry you had to deal with a hip replacement, but I'm glad you're doing much better now and had a quick recovery.

That's great advice re: substances.  I live a generally healthy lifestyle and have made dietary changes since the onset of the condition.  I oftentimes struggle with the alcohol consumption part of the equation.  Some days I just get home from the office and want a glass of wine or a beer to take the edge off - although I know it's not ideal for inflammation.  I typically don't exceed 8+/- drinks/week - ideally I would cut that down.

Thanks for the well wishes and encouragement.

Best,

Matt

• Posted

Thanks Matt. I cannot stress too much how important the choice of surgeon is for a really good outcome long term.

I'm writing this from hospital because yesterday I had a total ankle replacement replaced. The original surgery was done only five years ago but was failing. The prosthesis was poorly positioned and it was amazing that I had done as well as I had on it. I started my search for a really experienced ankle revision surgeon nearly eighteen months ago but they are harder to find than good hip surgeons!

All the best, Richard

• Posted

Matt, it must be extremely difficult to deal with all of those different and serious issues with your hips. I am glad you will be seeing an orthopedic surgeon soon. You need guidance from expert professionals. You say you have hip dysplasia and labral tears in both hips. You will see what your surgeon recommends about that. Is the dysplasia bad enough to warrant hip replacement? How much of all of your various pains is caused by the dysplasia and labral tears? Yes, you are young, but your conditions are significantly affecting your working and social lives. 

As far as all of your soft tissue problems are concerned, hopefully the orthopedist can advise about those as well. How long have they been causing such pain and disability? Sometimes there are surgical fixes, if they don't resolve in a reasonable amount of time on their own or with other therapies. After my total hip replacement, I immediately tore both my gluteus medius and minimus tendons, not fully, but badly enough that they did not heal on their own. 15 months after my THR I had surgery to repair those tendons, and things are much better now than before. 

I would suggest that you also post on the hip replacement forum here on Patient, so that you might get more replies. Many people with hip dysplasia and labral tears have had hips replaced, and often at young ages, compared to those of us who are older and had THRs because of osteoarthritis. I have read threads by people in their teens, twenties and thirties who have had THRs. Also, hip replacements these days are expected to last a long time, much longer than when they were first being done. Check out the research.

Anyway, best of luck to you in your quest for treatment and recovery. Here is the link to that other forum:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/hip-replacement-1109

• Posted

Thanks Annie,

Yes, it's been a long journey and a struggle. 

That's great advice - at this point I don't know if the dyplasia is the root cause of my soft tissue issues or if it's "benign" and something I can live with.  I usually reply to the Dr. when he asks about my pain with "it hurts everywhere."  Although some pain points worse than others. 

The Sports MD does not think I am a candidate for hip replacement, but it's all TBD until I see the actual surgeon.  My fear is that the soft tissue issues are the result of the dyplasia.  Not sure how common that is for dysplasia to cause tendinopathies.  You google and google and never really know so it's good to talk to people who have actually went through it.

I've been dealing with the soft tissue pain for almost three years (2.5 years to be precise).  I was actually hoping that the kind of procedure they did with your glute medius and minimus tendons would be a good option for me (except I still have no idea what to do about the hamstrings).  My thoughts are, I can "live" with my hamstring pain (I think) and they're less severe on the scans ("mild"wink vs. the glutes which have transitioned to "moderate tendinosis"  Just unsure if the surgeon will operate if it's not a tear.

Thanks for the helpful links as well and well wishes.

Best,

Matt

• Posted

Also odd a parenthesis showed up as a wink!  haha.  Sorry about the smiley face in error!
    • Posted

You are welcome, Matt! The surgeon who did my glute repairs has an excellent website, with lots of info about hip/leg issues, both bone and soft tissue. I can message you the link, if you want. I don't think I am allowed to post it in a thread.

• Posted

Thanks Annie.  Absolutely.  Any information is good information.  The surgeon I am consulting with in a few weeks does tendon repais, as well as a full range of hip procedures.  But info is few and far between.
    • Posted

Done! You will find lots of info on my surgeon's website. He even has video of gluteal tendon repairs, and full texts of various studies he has done.

Hope that the surgeon can give you proper diagnoses and suggest effective treatments for you.

• Posted

Thanks!  Wow, so much great information!  The surgeon I am consulting with is comparable in terms of experience and credentials - his website is definitely not as informative.  Crossing my fingers the suggested effective treatments are less invasive, but we’ll have to see.
    • Posted

Hi Annie

I've just been reading thro this site and your comments about glute repairs. Is it possible for you to pm me details of your surgeon who did the glute repairs please? I have had revision hip surgeries two years back and am still on crutches as my glute muscles are very weak, even after intensive physiotherapy etc.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Annie

just saw a message you posted about two years back re glute repair. can you also give me the details on the surgeon who did the repairs and his publications. I also have very little strength in my glutes and dont know if it is repairable....

Thank you

Anne

• Posted

Dear Matt,

ouch ouch ouch!!!  you poor baby.....  Hydrotherapy was the only thing that gave me any relief.....

Have those hips replaced so that you can reclaim your life!!!  just make sure you get the 30 year hips as you are to young to have them replaced every 10 years do to them wearing out or breaking..... I live in pain 24/7/365..... Pain sucks...... if you can get to a hot indoor pool and can get in and out....GO....  I cannot sit in normal chairs as my legs go numb and when I stand up I fall on my face! lol.... but I am 60.... and I need a "body transplant" ..... lol......bad back, hips, knees, elbows, and shoulders...... sheeeez.... I would be the next 10 million dollar baby if I didn't have a bad heart on top of everything else......

DON'T wait until the pain takes your breath away and you can't enjoy the best thing in life..... Sex.....don't tell anyone I said that......  and try to have sex if you can as the indorfans released do help pain....

IM me if you wish to vent more and keep us updated on your progress as I will be praying and rooting for you!

Erela

• Posted

Just a point of correction. I had a conventional hip replacement twenty years ago which lasted for twenty years of a very physically demanding life style and job, but I did not run or engage in anything tha barred the hip on a regular basis. The poly cup failed last year and I had a successful revision.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Dear Richard........ I am so glad that you had a successful revision!!!  Hurray.......

I so hope and pray that you continue on with a healthy pain free life!

Sincerely 

Erela

• Posted

Dear Erela

Many thanks. I've been told that if this revision fails that will be it and as you can imagine I will be doing all that I can look after it as well as possible.Best wishes, Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.