Multiple Sclerosis symptoms - But brain MRI is almost normal

Posted , 6 users are following.

About 8 months ago I was having low sensitivity on some areas of my body, and I had erection problems. But the the problems has gone away after about one month.

2 months ago, I was having problems with balancing, and writing, I couldn't write a thing legit. But it has improved.

Now I'm feeling a tingling sensation on the left side of my face, and during that time my speech is slurring. Sometimes it's so worse that I can't speak a word clearly. The balancing problem and erectile dysfunction are still present.

The symptoms are coming and improving after some time.

Took a brain MRI but it showed no lesions.

I'm afraid if I'm having MS, but not diagnosed yet. What should I do!!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi John, have you had an MRI of the cervical and thoracic spine? try to get in with a good neuro and request additional scans. You should also request a large range of blood work to rule out other autoimmune diseases, Lyme, etc. Hang in there. This can be a long journey!
    • Posted

Nope, the brain MRI is the only one test I had. The neurologist I consulted said there's nothing to worry about, but I'm still having these problems and that's making me very depressed.

• Posted

Hi John,

I agree with the first response you got. I was diagnosed with MS, in 2004, while undiagnosed, I saw a few drs. Eventually, I was directed to a neurologist.

I've had MRIs done, of both my brain AND my thoracic spine. My brain scan, at that time, showed no detectable demyelinisation lesions, typical of MS. My thoracic MRI, however, showed several lesions, coiled around my cervical (neck) spinal cord.

A lumbar puncture was also done. The cerebrospinal fluid showed that I had oligoclonic bands, typical of MS.

Like so many people going through MS diagnosis, I was, originally treated like I was either imagining, or faking the effects. By the time I was diagnosed, I was relieved to get a definitive answer.

Hopefully, you won't have it, but I always recommend that anyone dealing with long term health issues keep some kind of a journal, it can be really handy, for medical appointments, not to mention that it can help, to get it down, either on paper, or on your tablet or laptop.

• Posted

"but I always recommend that anyone dealing with long term health issues keep some kind of a journal, it can be really handy, for medical appointments, not to mention that it can help, to get it down, either on paper, or on your tablet or laptop."

That's a nice suggestion, I will do it. Thank you smile

• Posted

I tend to forget things that I need to say, so I always go to neuro appointmentso armed with a list of questions and any new symptoms.

I recently changed consultants, so I went armed with lots of information/questions. ☺

• Posted

I forget things too, but I make a plan of what to say prior to seeing a dr But it doesn't always work. I'll make a list of my symptoms and questions to ask him before going to see him tomorrow.

Btw, how's the lumbar puncture done. I googled it and came to know It's taking some fluid from the spinal cord by inserting a needle into it. Is it like a surgery, can I drive to the hospital and still drive back home.

• Posted

I was told that it's probably better to not drive. It's not a surgery, I was just on a hospital bed, you lay on your side, it can take a while for the necessary amount of cerebrospinal fluid to drip into the small bottle type thing that's used.

I was told to lay flat, afterwards, for 2 hours. It's quite common to get really bad headaches for a few days afterwards, I did, but mine lasted longer. This was probably because I followed their instructions and drank loads of water... I suspect that, after 2 days, I was in caffeine withdrawal, ridiculous, but, when I had a cup of strong team, my headache stopped.

I was told that the incidence rate of headaches is lower now, I don't know what's changed (?!)

It's well worth having the test done, however. I wish that I'd taken headphones, to take my mind off it.

• Posted

Then I will not drive the day I take that test. Thanks for the detailed explanation. 
  • Posted

Can I acknowledge how scary this must be. Have you had a spine scan? There's other tests for Ms ask your neurologist to do them. Write your symptoms and concerns and hand them over. I know the frustration of vague diagnosis or no diagnosis, nobody wants MS but I understand the sense of relief when you get a diagnosis because it's acknowledgement. Good luck sending love and healing.

• Posted

It's really scary, yes

I'll be relieved if I'm diagnosed with MS, it's actually better than having these kind of symptoms and not getting diagnosed.

The problem is that no one understands what I'm going through. 

Nope I haven't done a spine scan, I'm going to see a different neurologist and ask him to do tests for MS.

"Write your symptoms and concerns and hand them over."

Yeah I will. I haven't done it. But I will do it before consulting him.

Thank you very much

• Posted

We know how you feel, you're not alone, mum had symptoms for decades but was only diagnosed when I said you're getting same as me tell the Dr what I say, he was nasty but he referred her and I went with her, her last neurologist was a female Asian and was lovely. Yes she had Ms and I think my daughter has too. It's ok to feel scared and ok to say it. Mum passed recently but not from ms she fell and broke her hip and didn't make it through the op. You can live a long life and manage once you have a diagnosis. ?

• Posted

Sorry about your Mom. The neurologist I consulted early was not so supportive. I'm seeing a different dr tomorrow. I'll update what he says. I just wanna get diagnosed whatever it is. That's all. This whole thing is killing me.

• Posted

Good luck with your next neurologist. Take a list of bullet points, what you want to say, your questions and anything else you feel is relevant.
    • Posted

I will, and I'll update on what he tells me. Thank you all for your support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.