Muscle cramp.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis a few years ago following scans and X-rays. I have it in several joints. Before I was diagnosed I had occasional muscle cramp but nothing to concern me however in the last 6 months they have become almost unbearable particularly on a night when I'm in bed as soon as I move. Last night I was woken almost every couple of hours and my legs and feet are locked into positions I didn't think were possible. Does anyone know if this is related to osteoarthritis? 

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry I should have added I had steroid injections in both knees about 10 days ago.
    • Posted

What kind of injections? For knee forOA arthritis? I too tried had knee injections synovial fluid with a concentrated pain med. worked well thru a torn meniscus and OA arthritis in my knees. Also wear spring shoes less pressure on knee per sq inch, ice and Physio helpe me. 

Good thoughts for heeling sent your way.

((hugs))

H4C confused

• Posted

Not sure about link to osteoporosis. I have that too, but my crazy night time cramps seem to be linked to dehydration and a higher intake of added sugar. I sympathise with you cramps are horrible especially in the middle of the night. I drink water at intervals during the night. Might be worth a try. 
    • Posted

Thank you Peacock, I do take a drink of water to bed but most of the time I don't touch it so I will make an effort to drink more. 
    • Posted

Yes I just noticed that,  I do have osteoarthritis I just hit the wrong word in predictive text options, sorry. I usually drink at least half a pint of water during the night, often more. I am up and down to the bathroom but that actually helps to keep my joints moving. Good Luck
    • Posted

I thought it could be predictive text because whenever I write osteoarthritis, osteoporosis comes up. I'm definitely going to take your advice, I'd rather get up to the bathroom a few times than be woken up almost hourly with cramp. Thanks again 
  • Posted

Hi Matron. I have OA in my spine and most other joints now. My GP says Im riddled with it after numerous Xrays. Your problem sounds like mine when I'm in bed. Move into a different position and wham.... here I go again! I think it's muscle spasms I have in back of thighs, down the inside and into the inner calf and feet and toes. Strangely, since I had the Salpingo oophrectomy 3 weeks ago I've not had the problem! rolleyes My para ovarian cyst was sitting at the base of my abdomen where the cervix was before I had a vaginal hysterectomy several years ago now. The cyst seemed to causing pressure on the coccyx and lower spine so I think it had trapped a nerve. I shall ask my gynae at next appointment. Also, have you been doing more activities lately, packing to move you said on another forum the other day? Any extra activities , especially walking too much has this effect too. Just a few thoughts for you to ponder.  I now have hip pain since the op, heaven knows what they did with me on the op table! confused  A hot water bottle at my feet and back help me relax the muscles. Pollyanna
    • Posted

Hello Pollyanna. Yes you are right packing up to move so it could well be that I suppose. A hot water bottle is a good idea. Regarding your hip pain, you've probably read about the position on the operating theatre table.....the dreaded lithotomy poles!!
    • Posted

Well my grandaughter said that but I had a laporoscopy. I didn't think they would do that for keyhole oophrectomy! You're probably right though as the next op is for vaginal vault prolapse, maybe they checking if I'm up to it now. It seems my tissues are very fragile! June 1st next appt so will soon find out I suppose.  rolleyes
    • Posted

If you explain to your surgeon Pollyanna about the position perhaps not being ideal then they won't put you in the poles. I've known that happen several times when anyone has joint problems or had a hip replacement for example. Your legs will be gently held in a lower position.
    • Posted

Thanks Matron, I will mention it at my appointment. He does know about the OA but a gentle reminder is in order I think! wink Thanks for your help. Hope you feel better soon. Take it easy with the packing, I've been there done that so know what it's like. rolleyes
  • Posted

I can sympathize with you . I use magnesium spray on my legs at night. Really helps or magnesium supplements. Both work well for me. Sometimes hydrotherapy can be prescribed depending on what other methods do not help. Cramps can be very painful. Also stretches at the time your legs are cramping can help. 

Take care. Hopefully the cramps will ease up soon.

• Posted

Thank you hope4cure. I'm sure a while ago I used to take calcium with magnesium and didn't get these awful cramps. I will try again and the magnesium spray in a night is not something I've ever heard of so I'll look into that. Thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.