Muscle spasms in throat

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all! I've been on sertraline for 6 months now. I've seen a little improvement but I am plagued everyday with muscle spasms in the front of my neck. It feels like someone has grabbed the front of my throat. It's very distressing as I feel like I can't breathe properly or swallow (I can). It can last for hours. Has anyone else experienced this and if so have you any tips on how to get rid of it? Many thanks.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes it’s VERY common for chronic anxiety sufferers to have problems with neck muscles. It freaked me out first time. Best thing to do is try to calm down, all though easy said than done I know. Maybe the meds will help you with that. Good luck! 
  • Posted

Hello Gabrielle34731! Hope all is well, or at least getting better. I've never been on the medication you mentioned, but I have felt the exact feeling you are talking about. In fact, I went to the DR thinking I was having a heart attack only to find out that I'm healthy as a horse, just had indigestion. Indigestion is very tricky. Apparently I've had it for years and didn t know it. The entire GI system is very complex, confusing and generally the least considered. In my case the acid reflux was making it seems as if I couldn't breath or swallow and my chest hurt so bad I was doubled over. I say grab 3 or 4 Tums or some sort of antacid, chew em up to make a type of paste then swallow with 6 to 8oz of water. Give it 5 or 10 min and see how you feel. If not better, make an appointment for the Dr. You should probably do that either way as I have zero medical experiance... I wish you the best with your anxiety! Have a great day !

• Posted

sertraline is a potent drug. My gp would have immediately discontinued it, psychs are too quick to prescribe high doses of drugs. It takes a long time to withdraw from these drugs easier for a dr to keep increasing the dose. LOL>

• Posted

i was told by my doctor that anxiety can make you have spasms in your neck. you have a flap in your neck that opens and closes during breathing and it can spasm during anxiety and make you feel like its hard to breathe. i was told its normal and harmless. just try and calm down and do breathing exercises.
  • Posted

Hi what dose are you on?
    • Posted

Hi Darren. Thanks for your reply. I've been on 150mg for over 2 weeks now. I had been on it before for about 8 weeks but felt very tired so reduced mu dose to 125mg. Psych increased it again, saying sertraline had the least side effects of all antidepressants so my spasms, tiredness are purely anxiety driven. 

• Posted

Your psych is being less than honest with you. Sertraline is a very potent drug. Pls google and see for yourself, it is hell to get off.The anti depressants are being restricted due to their nasty side effects. Any dr who tries to fob a patient off with these stories is not acting in the best interests of the patient. Being short of breath, having muscular spasms is not what one expects let alone as a result of medication, it is a ludicrous situation. If it were my dr he would have immediately discontinued this drug or started to

wean me off it. Can your dr wean you off it?

• Posted

I often feel tightness in my throat and hear or feel a thump when I swallow. I have discovered that the best way for me to overcome the lump in my throat distress  is to ignore it. I did however come across a method to release those throat muscles. I’m sorry. I can’t remember what it was called but they were effective.  There are you tube videos about  it as I remember. 
  • Posted

Gabrielle

Did you have the throat problems before you were put on medications.

To put your mind at rest look at the medication instruction  sheet in the box

BOB

• Posted

I've told the psychiatrist, GP, therapist about my symptoms and they all say it's not the drug, it's my anxiety. It's a sensation i never had before I started sertraline but again, they say it's an evolution of my anxiety. 

• Posted

Gabrielle

You are at a hard place where they have checked you out and decided your problem is Anxiety.

If that is the case could you try sucking on lozenges, possibly with honey in, that may help you come to terms with the feeling you suffer and you may find you will move out of this problem that is an Anxiety condition. To treat the condition like this may help you in considering everything has cleared. Just like taking medications. This is one way some people find will work

BOB

• Posted

If you are worried about taking this drug Iwould make an urgent appointment with your dr and advise him accordingly. It is your body and u are in control of what goes inti/o it. Drs are becoming more and more aware of the risks of anti depressants, benzos and opiates and there are new Guidelines now in force to rstrct the prescribing of thse drugs. Once on them drs don't know how to wean pts off them so keep them on them for decades. ersonally I would stop it

• Posted

If the problem started after commencing sertraline then I think you have your answer. Personally to be on the safe side I would be stopping the sertraline but under medical supervision. A good dr will listen to their patient. Not all adverse side effects are reported or listed so that's why it is crucial to report any to the dr, the chemist or you can report them online to the MHRA using the yellow card system. If it were me I would be seeking advice on a safe way to wean off this drug which is a SSRI, they do not have a good press. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.