Muscle tightness

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good evening to all the wonderful people on this forum! I had my Ltkr 5 weeks ago and everything is going pretty well! A couple days ago my lower back or hips(it’s hard to tell which) started feeling tight and hurting! I can’t stand for very long! Is there anything I can do or not do to help this out? I’m sure it’s from the muscles I’m using again! Any advice would be appreciated!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Jarme, without knowing exactly what muscles are causing you trouble, the best I suggestion I have is to Google exercises for _________ muscle tightness. Search YouTube videos for the same thing.

If you still attend therapy, ask your therapist at next appointment or doctor. I am almost 11 months post TKR and thanks to previous lumbar surgeries, have an arsenal of stretches I learned. Unfortunately, hips are giving me even more trouble than before TKR but many hip muscle exercises are the same as what you do for the knees. The best stretch I found for tight hips and glutes for me is to do a "catchers squat." I couldn't begin to do those until I was around 6 months post op. Again, Google or use YouTube for ideas.

I think one of the reasons hips and back present problems after TKR is bc of how we are first walking. Not getting enough extension in our legs or still limping, even subconsciously with each stride.

I hope this helped a little. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply Terri! I will ask the PT Monday! This could be from all the new exercises I’m doing. Hopefully it will let up. My knee is doing really well! 
  • Posted

I had the same problem with my back. When I asked the doctor about it he said it’s because I was favoring my new knee and causing me to be off balance. I still have pain some days but now it’s better 
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply Jackie! I agree on that! Glad yours is better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.