Muscle twitches and spasms all over body

Posted , 61 users are following.

This particular problem started about 5 years ago, however it was much more mild and not as worrying. The muscle twitches originally started in my feet and legs, and was more of an annoyance than anything. At the time I also had trouble sleeping, so my doctor suggested a sleep study, perhaps the twitching was causing my body to not fully fall asleep. However, the sleep study did not show any abnormalities in my sleep pattern. The twitching eventually subsided/became less noticeable, and I forgot about it. 

In the last 30-45 days or so, however, I have noticed the twitching both returning and being much more frequent, and also accompanied by muscle spasms as well. The twitching occurs all over my body, including; feet, ankles, calves, thighs, knees, glutes, wrists, fingers, elbow muscles, and biceps. The muscle spasms have only occured in my thighs, calves, and glutes and are not as common. The spasms are very rapid and only last for a few seconds.

I decided to keep track of the frequency of the twitching for a 5 minute span (both laying down and in a sitting position) and it occured around 8-10 times within 5 minutes (varying from fingers, glutes, thighs, calves, etc). I am worried that these symptoms may lead to something greater, as I am only 20 years old and am not sure if it will become worse as time progresses.

I should also mention that I am prescribed 150 mg Wellbutrin and birth control daily, and have also been taking painkillers as needed for the past few weeks due to surgery. I also suffer from mild-moderate anxiety. I do not believe that this is a side-effect from my medication, as I have been on these medications the past few years. I am not opposed to visiting the doctor, I just don't know if a specific doctor would be necessary or any other advice would be helpful. 

0 likes, 256 replies

256 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi rsarah, I am a 53yr old male with similar symptoms. I would recommend that you see an Internal Medicine doctor that will order genetics testing and also test for Lyme disease. I was recently diagnosed with ALS. But I have other symptoms then yourself. I have all around muscle weakness with trouble standing and walking, I drop things that I hold in my hands, and my throat is always sore with trouble swallowing some types of foods. This also causes me to have some speech issues that I can control with concentration. I live in Houston and can recommend a great doctor for you if you are in this area. But take videos with your phone of all twitching. 20 years old is way too young to be having your issues, please stay on top of it.
    • Posted

Hi power tool I have same symptoms as rsarah and to read you mention possible lymes desease. Makes my theory more believable. I had a bullseye rash on my right ankle and did pull out a tiny black needle my foot went totally numb and since then I've got twitching all over originally y it was immense like running ants up my right leg and ended up electrical pains in my groan. But over here the uk NHS have tested My for lymes and I'm told I don't have it but I'm told the standard NHS te isn't accurate. I need to find some where to get proper accurate lymes test   Rsarah hope you get sorted out now 

• Posted

Hi terry62719, I have a doctor here in Houston, Texas. She is a great doctor. She does do Genetic testing and Lyme testing. I had to be tested twice for Lyme disease just to double check that I don't have it. Lyme disease can mimic ALS disease. If anyone is near the Houston area, I can give you this doctors name and number. She is located in the Houston Medical Center and she is a Internal Medicine Doctor.

• Posted

Hi Terry62719, Did you say you live in the UK? If so I didn't know that they had Lyme disease up there.

• Posted

Hello. I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis and how long it took. I wanted to ask you if you had emgs in the first several years and were normal?
  • Posted

Thank you for your post. I too have been having all over muscle twitches for almost half a year now. I can literally sit here right now and count all the little twitches that are happening. It’s non-stop. My doctors always seem to blow it off and tell me that it’s due to stress and to take magnesium or drink tonic water. They also prescribed me gabapentin which I have not tried taking yet. The twitches do not hurt; they happen so fast that I can’t even catch one. With it comes muscle cramping as well, literally all over my body but it’s never a full blown cramp (Charlie horse). It just feels like a cramp that’s about to be full blown but never reaches that point. I mostly get them in my legs/butt, but they are all over my body. The twitches in my lips will literaly jolt me awake from my sleep. I can only recall one time back in May when my foot cramped up so bad that my toes started separating and moving away from each other and I feel like that’s when all of this kind of began. I’m scared because I can’t help but wonder if this is the beginning of sombirthing horrible. Idk where to turn to for help. 
    • Posted

Hi Shanna66002, I read your post to rsarah21 and the tonic water blow off is a common one at first. The neurologist now days are all about wait and see what happens. They told me that it is because there're so many things that can cause these symptoms to happen. I do believe this but I think they keep out the "could be this, could be that's" out on purpose. I don't really know why they do it but it starts to stress you out because you didn't get a diagnosis. You should just keep trying what the doctors say. Hopefully, you will get better. Be careful with Gabapentine, it caused me to get sicker with fibromyalgia. I quit Gabapentine and the fibro went away. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

• Posted

Hi, about two months ago I started having muscle twitching on my left Biceps and sometimes Triceps. Then I started having small muscle cramps that also never goes like a full cramp. Now it did spread to my stomach and some of the back muscles.

I do have anxiety and now because this other symptoms I am starting to freak out. I am an athlete and all those symptoms feels very weird as I use my body a lot.

3 months ago I had an MRI of my brain and neck because of headaches but it was all fine. I have almost a cervical disc herniation but it is not affecting the nerve.

So if anyone had similar symptoms please let me know.

• Posted

HI Sarah 

I’m Chelsea. Last I was told that my muscle twitching was caused by My anxiety. But the thing is the twitching started When I was 9 years old, and no anxiety showed up until I was 15 years old. At the moment I have a constant one In the back of my right arm up towards my shoulder and it is pestering me 

• Posted

Hi all I've. R.E.M. Reading your posts  ref not getting a true diagnosis is annoying isn't it I've had calf muscle atrophy in my right leg and had terrible muscle cramps and twitching I've not had diagnosis but told that I've had trapped / dying nerve and twitching. Ow is due to. Ervrs trying to re grow. So I'm having to put up with constant twitching and electric pains all over.  All this modern technology and we are left like this gggrrr  regards to all x 

• Posted

Hi there, I’m a 23 year old female with almost identical problem. It’s been 1 year now with This condition and was wondering what you do to cope or if you have any answers? Thanks! 
  • Posted

Hi, about two months ago I started having muscle twitching on my left Biceps and sometimes Triceps. Then I started having small muscle cramps that also never goes like a full cramp. Now it did spread to my stomach and some of the back muscles.

I do have anxiety and now because this other symptoms I am starting to freak out. I am an athlete and all those symptoms feels very weird as I use my body a lot.

3 months ago I had an MRI of my brain and neck because of headaches but it was all fine. I have almost a cervical disc herniation but it is not affecting the nerve.

So if anyone had similar symptoms please let me know.

• Posted

Have you changed your diet lately?  Are you using different shampoos, skin care products?  Are you burning scented candles?  Use only unscented.

Your doctor will not likely know about this, but about 20 years ago scientists discovered new pain channels that respond to environmental irritants and these pain channels are expressed on nerve cells.  They can be excited by foods, things we breath, etc.  I would say to try avoiding spices, foods that are hot, oregano, and foods from the brassica family (arugula, broccoli, brussel sprouts and others).  Bananas also contain an acid that activate this pain channel.  You can look the pain channels up -  TRPA1 and TRPV1.  I've been told that doctors won't know much about them until there drugs to treat them, but word is getting out.  Scientists are still trying to figure out how they affect our bodies.  This is just an idea, but worth looking at.  FYI, these don't have to trigger pain.  I have lots of twitches and muscle spasms.  Just an idea, but I'm not a doctor.  I am TRPA1 and TRPV1 sensitive.

• Posted

Hi guys I'm 19 I have just been experiencing these problems and want to go get checked out but as of now I'm broke and have no insurance I feel so helpless right now and everyday scares me because of the twitching not only that but I don't even have a primary care doctor and I'm just so scared and want help but don't know what do. Does anyone here have suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.